Amsoil and light weight oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes from 2013,I did a test at home, I took a hot frying pan, put some RP 0/20 in, it caught fire after about 1.5 min. Then I took some dino Napa 10/30, it just smoked like a blown racing engine. I need to redue this experiment and record actual temps,

My particular Honda with a 5sp manual, the engine turns 3000 rpm cruising 80mph, 3500rpm at 90. Now that produces more heat say the 5sp auto model at that same speed cruising under 2500rpm. In the summer where I live, not uncommon for 100 plus outside.

European cars run heavyweight oils for a reason. BMW m cars use 10/60, others are 5/40, 0/40, why? Because they know it offers more protection than a light oil. There's only 1 reason for light oil, gas mileage. I could care less if I lose one or two miles per gallon if I know I will gain far more and protection of the engine

How can Ford Chevy Toyota say use a 0 20 oil in a V8 then go pull heavy loads and that pickup truck and expect that engine to last three four hundred thousand miles running a thin light weight oil.

If you take a car on the race track say the Corvette they recommend 530 for daily use but on the track use 15/50. Because they know the 5/30. Will be stretched Beyond its limits oil temp gets hot and you putting extreme stress on it so if you run a 15/50 1 South oil gets hot it will probably send down somewhere near 30 weight. Why do you think Chevy says go back to a 530 on a non track day? Because they want to continue to achieve their fuel mileage numbers and Cafe.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
Yes from 2013,I did a test at home, I took a hot frying pan, put some RP 0/20 in, it caught fire after about 1.5 min. Then I took some dino Napa 10/30, it just smoked like a blown racing engine. I need to redue this experiment and record actual temps,

Ah yes, the ever popular frying pan test. You observed the auto-ignition temperature of the oil, can you explain how that relates to blowing engines or anything else? Is the auto-ignition temperature related to CAFE?

This same thick vs thin rhetoric gets repeated over and over by new members all of the time. Just fill your Honda with 10W60 or 15W50 and be happy that your engine will outlast all of the ones maintained by ignorant, misguided owners who are using the recommended weight.

European cars run heavyweight oils for a reason. BMW m cars use 10/60, others are 5/40, 0/40, why? Because they know it offers more protection than a light oil. There's only 1 reason for light oil, gas mileage. I could care less if I lose one or two miles per gallon if I know I will gain far more and protection of the engine

How can Ford Chevy Toyota say use a 0 20 oil in a V8 then go pull heavy loads and that pickup truck and expect that engine to last three four hundred thousand miles running a thin light weight oil.

If you take a car on the race track say the Corvette they recommend 530 for daily use but on the track use 15/50. Because they know the 5/30. Will be stretched Beyond its limits oil temp gets hot and you putting extreme stress on it so if you run a 15/50 1 South oil gets hot it will probably send down somewhere near 30 weight. Why do you think Chevy says go back to a 530 on a non track day? Because they want to continue to achieve their fuel mileage numbers and Cafe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
This same thick vs thin rhetoric gets repeated over and over by new members all of the time. Just fill your Honda with 10W60 or 15W50 and be happy that your engine will outlast all of the ones maintained by ignorant, misguided owners who are using the recommended weight.

1. Oil recommendation is just that. It relates to Cafe bc they need to meet government standards. They could care less how long you keep it for. The mfg would prefer you buy another one.

I drove my 04 camry to 350k. I replaced it bc it was rear-ended. It burned some oil, I ran shell T6 in that. 5/40. No issues what so ever.tried 5/20. It went through that no problem. Recommendation for that year was 5/30. I feel ACEA rated oils are far superior to API. Just because I'm new here does not mean I do not have knowledge I don't understand theory and logic.

I drove my 04 camry to 350k. I replaced it bc it was rear-ended. It burned some oil, I ran shell T6 in that. 5/40. No issues what so ever.tried 5/20. It went through that no problem. Recommendation for that year was 5/30. I feel ACEA rated oils are far superior to API. Just because I'm new here does not mean I do not have knowledge I don't understand theory and logic.

So how is auto-ignition temperature related to longevity or CAFE?

In theory you will gain longer life, 0/20 hths is 25%:less than a 0/40, vi is also hi. Around 180. Also found higher levels of zinc and prosperous, without having to pay for the higher cost of Redline and RP

Corvette recommends a 5/30. Track use 15/50. So theirs no issues using a 0/40 in my case when the mfg says it's fine in UK, and au, same engine. HP is different obviously bc of tuning and grades of gas. I could make more power running vp racing street 100, and only bc it's better than CA pump gas

Last edited:
In theory you will gain longer life, 0/20 hths is 25%:less in a 0/40, vi is also hi. Around 180. Also found higher levels of zinc and prosperous, without having to pay for the higher cost of Redline and RP

I love high levels of prosperous. Go for as high as you can get.

As long as you understand that this is all just speculation and your engine may or may not last longer on the thicker oil, then more power to you.

In reality modern engines that have been maintained last so long that none of this really matters so you might as well have fun. But I wouldn't condemn a thinner oil as being inadequate for your uses.

10W60 and a bottle or two of STP for the win.

Don't you mean Lucas instead of STP, being in Indiana and all????

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
10W60 and a bottle or two of STP for the win.

Don't you mean Lucas instead of STP, being in Indiana and all????

My bad.If Lucas is thicker than STP then it would be the better choice for an anti-CAFE blend.

Hoping no one took the 10W60 and Lucas comments seriously, just trying to interject a little humor in one of the never ending thick vs thin CAFE threads.

XW-20 will gain you an imperceptible mpg gain
XW-40 will gain you an imperceptible total mileage gain

They both work just fine.

Hoping no one took the 10W60 and Lucas comments seriously, just trying to interject a little humor in one of the never ending thick vs thin CAFE threads.

Nope. 10/60 is way out of my league, regular high speed driving would take awhile to get the oil to it's Optimum temp.

Each grade of oil has it's range and place where it dips off and gets super thin and below the mfg specs.

https://youtu.be/ASAdkJydBFU

Nope. 10/60 is way out of my league, regular high speed driving would take awhile to get the oil to it's Optimum temp.

Each grade of oil has it's range and place where it dips off and gets super thin and below the mfg specs.

https://youtu.be/ASAdkJydBFU

Yes, posted that video last year.
You can read the discussion here...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4387659/Savagegeese:__Car_Oil_Fine_Pri

What? I don't understand what you mean.

Also can you explain that whole frying pan/auto-ignition thing and how it relates to longevity and CAFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back