Choice of .357 SIG Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
PDX see the way the expansion cuts are made in its nose? That is a Black Talon the isn't black.

What?

I think what he is trying to say is that PDX is basically like the old "Black Talon" ammo. Except for the fact the bullets are no longer black oxide coated. The media tried to make a big racial thing out of Winchester Black Talon ammunition when it first came out. It was a bunch of nothing, but they ran with it. Winchester Ranger is more like the old Black Talon. They went to the big law enforcement star on it to emphasize it's used by "good guys".

Yes but Blue may have figured that out by next week.

The guy on the Golden Saber test sounds just like the Farmguy on Youtube that tests all the additives on his lawnmowers
smile.gif

I've kinda gone the same way- I carry lighter, faster EFMJ rounds in my HK USP Compact .45- there is less recoil so its easier to stay on target, and the added velocity makes up for any energy deficit from the lighter bullet. My favorite test with the Guard Dog 165s is standing about 4 feet away from two stacked 2x4s (so 3.5" thick), the EFMJ will split the top board and make a divot in the 2nd board but can usually be pulled out without tools. Talk about energy transfer! The bullets typically expand out to about .690" or so as well!

Either round will kill anything you shoot with only one center mass hit, so flip a coin.

I also noticed they both sound alike! The thing is, the ammo reviewer was around long before the other guy. In fact, he hasn’t posted a video in a year or two. He tested pretty much every major brand in every major caliber, and doesn’t have to post much anymore.

Last edited:
I have pdx1 in my nightstand pistol. It was the only hollow point ammo at Wal-Mart when I went there. I've never even test fired it. I'm sure it will do the job in the extremely remote chance I'll have to use it.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I have pdx1 in my nightstand pistol. It was the only hollow point ammo at Wal-Mart when I went there. I've never even test fired it. I'm sure it will do the job in the extremely remote chance I'll have to use it.

You want to find out that ammo jams in your gun, at the exact moment you need it most? That's extremely irresponsible. Put at least 100 rounds of your defensive ammo through your gun, minimum. Your life is worth more than the cost of a few boxes of ammo, no?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

You want to find out that ammo jams in your gun, at the exact moment you need it most? That's extremely irresponsible. Put at least 100 rounds of your defensive ammo through your gun, minimum. Your life is worth more than the cost of a few boxes of ammo, no?

BT, you're 100 % correct. But, I only shoot about 30-50 rds. to determine the results.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I'm not worried about it jamming.

I carry the Sig Ammo in my 38 Super (very similar to a 357 Sig) but from what I have seen it's not a great choice in 357 Sig, lower velocity than a lot of comparable loads.

Sig has grown insanely fast I am not sure their ammo line is farmed out. Regardless I do find it to be very high quality ammo.

Of the two mentioned I would pick the Winchester for 357 Sig.

Paul Harrell has done quite a few tests of V Crown ammo in clothing and meat/bone targets (much more valid than gel IMO) and gotten excellent penetration and expansion/destruction. So there's the flip side of the coin. I'd still pick the Winchester in 357 Sig though because ironically the Sig loading is kinda mild.

Love Paul Harrell!

The load you asked about is clearly not Saber stuff. But that doesn't mean it won't work well, a lot of entry level hollow points are actually very good performers.

I am late to this game but golden sabers are usually towards the middle of the pack in terms of terminal performance.

My carry ammo choice is almost exclusively Federal HST, including the .357 sig load. I also carry Winchester ranger and Speer gold dot on occasion. I would not hesitate to carry Black hills, Golden saber bonded or Corbon if I had to.

I have tried some Buffalo bore, Underwood and Double tap but do not have enough information to bet my life on them.

Has anyone ever heard of Jamison Guardian ammo? GrabAGun.com sells it, but is currently out of stock. But, I did find it at Natchez Shooters Supply. On their website it's states that Montana Gold Bullet company makes the bullets for Jamison Guardian.
I have shifted my focus to the .357 SIG round because it's like a 9mm bullet on steroids and it intrigues me. When I am able to get out and about more in the near future, I want to start doing my own ballistic testing on various .357 SIG ammo. Just look at it like it's a hobby. Eventually I would like to start reloading my own ammo too.

http://montanagoldbullet.com

Montana gold makes great bullets. They are accurate and economical..buy I doubt their hollow points are as reliable and high tech as the name brands. I have tested their .38 HP bullets and have yet to see one expand at +P velocity.

I have heard good things about Montana Gold also. Magtech's "Guardian Gold" hi performance self defense line up however is plagued with poor expansion issues in some loads. Not sure if they use Montana Gold bullets or not but they sure look like them.

See if you can find a test or two. I'd bet at .357 Sig velocities they'd be fine but I would want to know first.

After doing a bunch of defensive ammo research a few years ago I ended up concluding that Federal HST was the way to if available in a caliber I need.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I shoot mainly my own reloads .

Do you re-load .357 SIG? How much money do you save by re-loading?
You can reload the 357 Sig for just a little more than 9mm. A few more grains of powder is the only difference provided you have brass. You save a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back