Toyota filters deserve more cred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: deven
Not sure how a dyno would help determine anything. Dyno's have a +/- variance with each pull.

Point was it's better than saying the engine "still runs fine" and didn't blow-up. If you used the same dyno and made 5+ runs with SAE corrected measurements you'd see if there was any significant HP loss over those 50,000 miles without an oil filter.

Toyota filters DO deserve more credit. I've run my 2002 Tacoma on a steady diet of them every 7500 miles since new. 16 years later all is well of course. If you buy them by the case they are as inexpensive as the cheapies at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Toyota filters DO deserve more credit. ... If you buy them by the case they are as inexpensive as the cheapies at Walmart.
Actually much less expensive, in the case of my cartridge.

Having studied the construction of a Toyota 04152-YZZA6 and other-brand equivalents I've bought and found in stores, I have a lot more confidence that the YZZA6 won't allow unfiltered oil to bypass around the ends. Whether that reliability compensates for the allegedly mediocre efficiency, who knows?

The no-endcap design (used by some other brands as well) is very clever. It eliminates some potential problems, and is likely less expensive to manufacture as well (after tooling is paid for).

Toyota filters DO deserve more credit. I've run my 2002 Tacoma on a steady diet of them every 7500 miles since new. 16 years later all is well of course. If you buy them by the case they are as inexpensive as the cheapies at Walmart.

Indeed. I buy by the case off Ebay (would do Amazon too, whichever is cheaper). I think some dealerships are doing store fronts just for the business.

I'm reminded of how the highest mile vehicles tend to be taxicabs and the like--all while getting cheap bulk oil and filters. I'm more of the mind that it all really doesn't matter. Most people who aim to get high miles off their personal vehicle drive in a manner that doesn't require high end oil in the first place (no high rpm etc).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: deven
Not sure how a dyno would help determine anything. Dyno's have a +/- variance with each pull.

Point was it's better than saying the engine "still runs fine" and didn't blow-up. If you used the same dyno and made 5+ runs with SAE corrected measurements you'd see if there was any significant HP loss over those 50,000 miles without an oil filter.

If you say so chief!

Does anyone have any technical data or measurements that prove otherwise, except that it "still runs good"? That's what needs to be shown to prove it was a valid experiment. That's my point. Anyone could say it didn't make a difference because it "still runs good" because engines pretty much "still run good" even though they have lots of wear.

Does anyone have any technical data or measurements that prove otherwise, except that it "still runs good"? That's what needs to be shown to prove it was a valid experiment. That's my point. Anyone could say it didn't make a difference because it "still runs good" because engines pretty much "still run good" even though they have lots of wear.

I've only done a couple of oil analyses and those were years ago, but everything looked good in my Tacoma. Very low wear metals. You might be able to find them by searching on my user name. Other than that...no, no proof Just 210K miles and no problems.

For me, filtration efficiency is important, but secondary. I've never had a gasket on a Toyota filter leak, I've never had any sort of filter failures that I'm aware of. While I'm sure problems are rare even with cheapo filters, I still like the build quality of Toyota. And if I can get them at the same price (or cheaper, really!) then that's what I'm going with for my Toyota vehicles.

I buy the 90915-YZZD1 by the case for my Tacoma online. My brother-in-law also has a 2002 Tacoma so we usually split a case. When we bought our 2012 Highlander a few years ago I bought a half case of 90915-YZZA1. That's what I plan to use, although I found a couple of Frams and a Purolator on clearance for super cheap, so I bought them to compare. The build quality looked good and I'm actually running the Purolator right now. I'll probably run the Frams too. They only cost me like $.50 (thanks, Tractor Supply!) but they look good enough. But when I go to re-order filters, it will be Toyota.

I've only done a couple of oil analyses and those were years ago, but everything looked good in my Tacoma. Very low wear metals. You might be able to find them by searching on my user name. Other than that...no, no proof Just 210K miles and no problems.

For me, filtration efficiency is important, but secondary. I've never had a gasket on a Toyota filter leak, I've never had any sort of filter failures that I'm aware of. While I'm sure problems are rare even with cheapo filters, I still like the build quality of Toyota. And if I can get them at the same price (or cheaper, really!) then that's what I'm going with for my Toyota vehicles. YZDD! That's my oil filter.

I buy the 90915-YZZD1 by the case for my Tacoma online. My brother-in-law also has a 2002 Tacoma so we usually split a case. When we bought our 2012 Highlander a few years ago I bought a half case of 90915-YZZA1. That's what I plan to use, although I found a couple of Frams and a Purolator on clearance for super cheap, so I bought them to compare. The build quality looked good and I'm actually running the Purolator right now. I'll probably run the Frams too. They only cost me like $.50 (thanks, Tractor Supply!) but they look good enough. But when I go to re-order filters, it will be Toyota.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I've said it many times before, and will continue to do so ...

Oil filters are necessary, but the delineation of efficiency is moot! Many around here understand that the best oil filter is a good air filter. Many tests from SAE files show that silica is far more important to control. The Donaldson "total filtration" study shows that so very clearly; the #1 contributor to engine wear is ambient intake based.

After that, soot is the next concern. Soot starts out sub-micron in size; smaller than even what a BP filter can catch. As oil add-packs have improved, the detergents and anti-agglomerates keep the soot very small; so small that it does not co-join and make bigger soot balls. Additionally, because of fuel injection strategy, combustion has become very clean, contrasted to the days of old. Engines just run a LOT cleaner overall; less soot is produced in the first place. So as long as your oil add-pack is healthy, then you're not going to get a lot of soot amalgamation, hence not a lot of soot abrasion.

Whatever is left in the steam particle, the FF filter will catch as long as it's big enough to be caught at all. But, the frequency (existence) of the large particles is far less than what folks think. The efficiency of the filter does not play a large role in terms of mathematical advantage; having 99% vs 80% (or even 50%) does not mean a lot when there's not that much large stuff to begin with.

Most of us agree that particles between 5um and 15um are the most concerning; they'd be capable of doing the most damage. But FF filters don't catch much below 10um with any regularity at all. That means anything 5um-10um is ALWAYS in play, but ONLY if it's present. If the soot does not get that big, and the air filter does it's job of stopping silica particulate, then the reason we don't see a lot of wear even using a moderate (50%) filter is because the junk is not present in the oil stream! An oil filter cannot remove what is not present, or is too small to be caught. So, if we see clear evidence that wear is low, and yet we know the filter is incapable of catching stuff below 10um, then we can reasonably conclude that it's just not present in the first place, with any regularity!

Just as with oils, people need to quit looking at the inputs of filtration and focus on results.

Wear data tells us that filtration efficiency of the lube filter is moot; it just does not create a tangible difference in wear control.

Thank you for that detailed explanation, unfortunately there is no convincing some people about how things work inside a IC engine. Marketing, irrelevant test and personal belief always wins.

Yeah, everyone knows that dirty oil doesn't cause any more engine wear than clean oil. Some also think that low efficiency filters tested per ISO 4548-12 suddenly become super efficient filters in the field, and that thimble sized filters give much better oil flow and oil pressure than larger filters, that there was never a media tearing problem with Purolator made filters, everyone faked posted media tears, that the Earth is flat, we never landed on the moon and OJ is innocent. Seems like the forums have entered the Twilight Zone lately ... or maybe that's just BITOG squirrelyness during a full moon.
lol.gif

Yeah, everyone knows that dirty oil doesn't cause any more engine wear than clean oil. Some also think that low efficiency filters tested per ISO 4548-12 suddenly become super efficient filters in the field, and that thimble sized filters give much better oil flow and oil pressure than larger filters, that there was never a media tearing problem with Purolator made filters, everyone faked posted media tears, that the Earth is flat, we never landed on the moon and OJ is innocent. Seems like the forums have entered the Twilight Zone lately ... or maybe that's just BITOG squirrelyness during a full moon.
lol.gif

ZO6 you nailed it!

Like dnewton3 said, people need to focus less on filtration and more on results. That's why I started this thread in the first place.

The results are that with a stock Toyota filter, one can go 1,000,000 miles while all parts of the Toyota engine remain within manufacturer's specs.

So if you're running a Toyota engine, you should use a Toyota EOM filter, no "need" to experiment with anything else.

I said "need" not "want". "Need" and "want" are different. It's OK to want to do something else, but it's not a need, don't believe your own [censored].

Last edited:
lol.gif

Just quoting someone who knows as much or more than you do. You cannot and will not admit the truth it would put an end to all this efficiency foolishness.
The engine the OP posted about has a million miles and still looks fine despite running OE Toyota filters, you know the ones that are so inefficient.

When I posted about my own engine with 1/4 of that on it you found every excuse under the sun why it wasn't right now where is your argument for Toyota? You loose!
thumbsup2.gif

People will decide what they want to use based on what they think is important to them, and some actually might make a decision based on technical performance specs.

Like many said in this thread, many factors involved in obtaining 1M miles on a vehicle. No way to know one way or the other if a more efficient filter would have made any measurable difference because it wasn't a controlled experiment by any means.

If someone thinks low efficiency filters will get them 1M miles then by all means go for it. But on the other hand if someone thinks more efficient filters will give less wear over the life of the engine then they should go for it too. But one thing is certain, never heard of any ill effects from more filtering vs less, except maybe spending a few more bucks on filters. If there was an ill effect correlation proven the guys using bypass oil filters would really be chastised around here. I don't see people getting bad mouthed in the bypass oil filter forum for keeping their oil cleaner with bypass filters.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Just quoting someone who knows as much or more than you do. You cannot and will not admit the truth it would put an end to all this efficiency foolishness.

Just in case you haven't been keeping up in these engine wear discussions, dnewton pretty much agrees with the SAE "Bus Study" (which you claim to have read) which concluded that cleaner oil due to higher filtration correlates to less engine wear - just like dozens of other technical papers do.

I explained in detail how your misguided conclusion on engine wear on the bike engine was totally inconclusive in determining engine wear. dnewton even told you the same thing in that thread - I can link it if you want. So you might want to be careful claiming who did or didn't lose whatever.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Like dnewton3 said, people need to focus less on filtration and more on results. That's why I started this thread in the first place.

The results are that with a stock Toyota filter, one can go 1,000,000 miles while all parts of the Toyota engine remain within manufacturer's specs.

So if you're running a Toyota engine, you should use a Toyota EOM filter, no "need" to experiment with anything else.

I said "need" not "want". "Need" and "want" are different. It's OK to want to do something else, but it's not a need, don't believe your own [censored].

Exactly correct! High efficient oil filters are not needed for today's passenger vehicles.

Yeah, everyone knows that dirty oil doesn't cause any more engine wear than clean oil.
lol.gif

You like to dance around the facts, first and foremost a FU will not prevent clean oil for getting dirty, by your own admission the most damaging size particles are still passing through it. Where is the clean oil? Only a bypass filter can come close to that and not being a full flow filter cannot be run as the primary so in comparison the FU leaves you with dirty oil.

You condemn my measurements and tools as inaccurate but you neglect to address one thing, the fact that regardless of how it was measured what filter was used etc there was no streaking, scoring or embedded particles of the soft tri metal bearing overlay which means no particle big enough to cause damage either got past the filter or was ever present. That is irrefutable, I challenge you to dispute that fact.

There is nothing wrong with the FU but other filter will protect just as well for less money. You can reference all the test and song and dance routines you want but you cant dispute the fact that an engine went a million miles with what is considered (because of this efficiency mantra you repeat on this board daily like a broken record) an inefficient filter and is still in good condition.

What is most aggravating is your smoke and mirror routine when faced with facts that you don't like, instead of admitting you may be barking up the wrong tree you throw a few more mirror out there and generate a bit more smoke to satisfy the fan base.

Yeah, everyone knows that dirty oil doesn't cause any more engine wear than clean oil.
lol.gif

You like to dance around the facts, first and foremost a FU will not prevent clean oil for getting dirty, by your own admission the most damaging size particles are still passing through it. Where is the clean oil? Only a bypass filter can come close to that and not being a full flow filter cannot be run as the primary so in comparison the FU leaves you with dirty oil.

"Dirty oil" is relative in case you didn't know - that's why the ISO cleanliness code was invented. And actually (per my own admissions), a high efficiency filter will keep more of the most damaging particles out of the oil. Yes, a 99% @ 20u FF filter leaves you with more particles than using a FF plus a bypass filter, just like a low efficiency FF filter leaves you with more particles than a high efficiency FF filter.

And who even mentioned the FU? Do a word search of this thread and someone (not me) mentioned the Ultra once, and then you did in this post. You, like many others here, see the words "high efficiency" and automatically think "Ultra" and then your blood pressure goes up. FYI, there are plenty of other high efficiency oil filters on the market ... do you hate on all oil filters because they are efficient? Seems like a focused mindset going on.

You condemn my measurements and tools as inaccurate but you neglect to address one thing, the fact that regardless of how it was measured what filter was used etc there was no streaking, scoring or embedded particles of the soft tri metal bearing overlay which means no particle big enough to cause damage either got past the filter or was ever present. That is irrefutable, I challenge you to dispute that fact.

dnewton (and a few others) also condemned your measurements, because it proved nothing in terms of determining the level of wear. Go back and find that thread. Don't know why you can't grasp the simple concept that you need a starting baseline in order to determine a delta from that baseline. No particles big enough to score or give obvious visual signs of wear ... but as said before, you can have wear that doesn't show big old scores, etc on the surface - about any filter can catch all those relatively gigantic particles that cause that type of wear. You are too narrowly focused on what you think wear can actually be.

There is nothing wrong with the FU but other filter will protect just as well for less money. You can reference all the test and song and dance routines you want but you cant dispute the fact that an engine went a million miles with what is considered (because of this efficiency mantra you repeat on this board daily like a broken record) an inefficient filter and is still in good condition.

How do you know that engine wouldn't have been in even better condition if high efficiency oil filters were used it's whole life without a controlled test to prove it one way or the other? That's my point ... people tout how inefficient filters are just as good as high efficient filters, but they have zero data to back it up. At least I've shown valid test data that pretty clearly shows that better filtration results in cleaner oil. Remember the old "Pure-Oil-Later" mantra Purolators name is based on ... maybe they should be sued because there's no way any oil filter could keep oil "pure".

For the record, I've never said that using a less efficient oil filter will result in a blown-up or totally worn out engine - if you (or anyone else) thinks I have then go find where and link it up. Again, people only read between the lines to what they want to hear. I've said many times that more efficient oil filters result in cleaner oil, which results in less engine wear - the level of wear is relative, but less wear is less wear.

Every engine wear study done comes to that same conclusion. I challenge you to show official test data that says a filter at 50% @ 20u gives cleaner oil than one at 99% @ 20u. And I'm talking about a test that takes out all the other variables that contribute to engine longevity. Show me a test (like the SAE Bus Study) that proves inefficient oil filters gives the same level of oil cleanliness as an efficient oil filter. If you've actually read the Bus Study you'd already know what I'm saying.

What is most aggravating is your smoke and mirror routine when faced with facts that you don't like, instead of admitting you may be barking up the wrong tree you throw a few more mirror out there and generate a bit more smoke to satisfy the fan base.

What facts? That a Toyota went 1M miles, or some engine was torn down and didn't have big scores on the moving parts and was still within FSM specs (even though those wear spec ranges are typically very large, allowing for a lot of wear).

And what "fan base" are you talking about? Seems this forum has become a battle between the guys who believe in efficient oil filters and those who believe chicken wire will do the same thing to prevent wear. There are plenty of guys here who think there is some value in using efficient filters. If you have such hatred for high efficiency oil filtering, you better go hang out in the bypass oil filter forum and bad mouth all those guys for going a magnitude higher in filtering than some guy using a 99% @ 20u FF oil filter.

Seems your viewpoint is pretty much increasing with a hate factor of anyone who believes in high efficient filters.

There you go, a little more smoke toss few more mirrors, throw a long meaningless answer out there and hope to baffle them with B.S.
I said the bearings were still within specs for new bearings and the fact there is no scoring or streaking mean there was no hard particle damage its that simple. You cannot dispute that its a simple fact, the invisible wear argument doesn't cut it chief.

You have unfounded issues with the FSM which as I explained before has the OE new build measurements and wear limit specs. I compared to the the new OE build.
My bearings were mid range in the spec so it stand to reason it was not built looser than what I measured, and the max allowable for the factory is only a couple of thou more, I seriously doubt they got every bearing in on the tight side especially when the color coded them.

Oh okay now "dirty oil" is relative but you have no problem at all making statements like "clean oil is better than dirty oil" when comparing the FU to other filters. What an absolute load of rubbish.

I am talking about the shill (imo) created fan base you are largely responsible for. Every time any other filter is discussed you or someone you helped indoctrinate come out of the woodwork to condemn it in some way. I will let other poster look and your threads and draw their own conclusions.
The times posters complains of noise running a FU you jump to the defense blaming anything and everything but the filter.

There you go, a little more smoke toss few more mirrors, throw a long meaningless answer out there and hope to baffle them with B.S.
I said the bearings were still within specs for new bearings and the fact there is no scoring or streaking mean there was no hard particle damage its that simple. You cannot dispute that its a simple fact, the invisible wear argument doesn't cut it chief.

You have unfounded issues with the FSM which as I explained before has the OE new build measurements and wear limit specs. I compared to the the new OE build.
My bearings were mid range in the spec so it stand to reason it was not built looser than what I measured, and the max allowable for the factory is only a couple of thou more, I seriously doubt they got every bearing in on the tight side especially when the color coded them.

Again, you had zero baseline measurements in order to make any kind of later measurements to determine the actual amount of wear. And you didn't run two filter use scenarios to determine if there was a wear difference. Just because the part is still within the FSM wear limits (which are rather large most of the time) it doesn't mean there wasn't any wear. It doesn't seem to sink in no matter how I or anyone else says it.

Oh okay now "dirty oil" is relative but you have no problem at all making statements like "clean oil is better than dirty oil" when comparing the FU to other filters. What an absolute load of rubbish.

Cleaner oil, which means less particles, certainly is better than oil that is dirtier. Are you now claiming that oil with more wear particles in does no more or less wear than cleaner oil? Again, why is this an FU thing with you? What about another filter that has just as good or better efficiency? There are some out there in the market place.

I am talking about the shill (imo) created fan base you are largely responsible for.

LOL ... I'm responsible for? Dude, have you ever thought to yourself that people know how to read ISO specs and articles about wear and the cleanliness level of oil and make a concision that a higher efficiency oil filter might be a good thing to use? Wow, your hate focus on me is really showing here.

Every time any other filter is discussed you or someone you helped indoctrinate come out of the woodwork to condemn it in some way. I will let other poster look and your threads and draw their own conclusions.

Stop making false claims. Again, I challenge you or anyone else to go dig up all those responses from me ... seriously, go for it. I've said all along that higher efficiency oil filters keep the oil cleaner, and cleaner oil has less wear particles in it, which means less engine wear. I don't even mention the FU most of the time. Again, you do know right that there are other high efficiency oil filters on the market. You're turning this into some kind of FU hate now it seems.

The times posters complains of noise running a FU you jump to the defense blaming anything and everything but the filter.

Again, more false claims from you ... go dig those post up and link them up here. I challenge you. I said it's probably a bad ADBV, yeah even though it's an FU I said something 'bad' about it. Shocking!

And I'll just say you are obviously a hater, it's easy to see now. Isn't it against board rules to focus and spew hate towards another member? That's what this is turning into from you. We already agreed to disagree about the difference in technical views on engine wear, but you are now throwing in hate towards me lately. And the fact that you even jumped into this thread and dragged the old discussions back into this one goes to show you're sore about it and have a personal vendetta to carry out.

You really might want to rethink your whole approach in these discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back