Serpentine Belt noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Goodyear or Continental Gatorback belt are the best I have found. Quiet and last

Continental would be better. Goodyear sold all their belt business to continental. Also can't you take the belt off and check for play in the pulleys and idlers? I think sometimes the pulleys on the accessories can go too but it's not that common. Sometimes continental sells a kit that includes the pulleys, idlers, tensioner and belt. Not sure if they have that available for your car.

Yes. Continental bought Goodyear belts. They are the same now. Their is still some Goodyear Gatorback branded ones available that are still in stock online though. There are different tiers of belts though, the ones to get that are equivalent to the Goodyear Gatorback is the Continental Elite. These cleared up the noise on my Focus.

If noise is when damp out, it could be some rust on your pulley or moisture on the belt too. Noise is either a worn belt, bad tensioner, or worn/misaligned pulleys.

UPDATE: Took truck to my long time mechanic today.
He just wanted to just replace the belt. I said no.
We discussed the last time that he replaced the belt. He asked if that stopped it for a while. I said no.
We agreed that he would inspect all the pulleys, clean and scuff them, and replace if necessary.
He found nothing with the pulleys. He cleaned with brake cleaner and scuffed them in my presence.
I was insistent that the tensioner be replaced (which he did) and installed a new Continental Hecho en Mexico belt.
So far, good to go. We'll see what happens next rain or snow event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back