High Mileage Transmission Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Chevy Impala with 140k miles. It has never had the transmission fluid flushed or changed. I am not having any apparent issues with my transmission, however the fluid on the dipstick is a light to medium brown; similar to a new motor oil color.

My question is, Should I drain and fill the pan, and replace the filter? Or will this possibly cause an accelerated wearing of what is left of my transmission? I called over 10 transmission shops in the area, and I received a wide array of answers which included:
A. DO NOT GET A FLUSH NO MATTER WHAT (this was advice from most every shop.)
B. Get your pan drained and filled (those who said this, said that the idea that a change accelerates the wearing process only applies to older vehicles. This just doesnt seem right to me.)
C. At least 5 different people advised that at 140k miles, I should just leave it alone if it is working fine now. They said that emptying any of the fluid that has clutch material suspended in it and replacing it with clean fluid could cause slipping, because the clutch pads no longer have the friction material on them OR in the fluid surrounding them.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I'd drop the pan and change the fluid/filter. Or get a Mityvac and do a simple fluid exchange. I dropped the pan in our Monte at around 130k miles on it and the pan was almost spotless. I think changing a trans filter is kind of a thing of the past, they just are soooo much cleaner than they once were.

This is all my opinion though, no science to back it up.

You should drop the pan and change the filter before problems start. transmissions do not like to be starved of fluid by a clogged filter.

Last edited:
Here are my two cents.

Drain and fill first and see what the results are. If all is ok, then wait a bit maybe 3000 miles or whatever time you feel comfortable with. Then drop the pan and clean the pan and change the filter and refill.

Definitely NO flush. At 140k I like the mityvac method, remove a 1/2 quart every couple of weeks and replace. Eventually it will be all new fluid. Drive that way awhile, then do a pan drop, filter change and refill. Then repeat the pan drop/filter routine every 30-50k.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Here are my two cents.

Drain and fill first and see what the results are. If all is ok, then wait a bit maybe 3000 miles or whatever time you feel comfortable with. Then drop the pan and clean the pan and change the filter and refill.

+1

If there is eventual eventual slippage from worn clutches there are probably safe Lubeguard additives to give you some "grip" back. Ensure you put the correct fluid back into the vehicle.

Pretty much what everyone else said. The transmission shops don't like to do it because they're afraid if there are problems later you are going to blame them.

Transmissions like clean , pink / red fluid of the correct specification .

Our little red Chevy Sonic has no dip stick and no DIY serviceable transmission filter . Thank you , GM , twice ! :-(

It does have a little drain plug on the bottom . I have done a drain and fill twice . May do another one , when the weather warms up .

With no user serviceable filter , I DO NOT want the internal filter to stop up !

Drop the pan, change the filter, and add back new fluid - but only if you have enough money in your bank account for a replacement transmission. Right now, your transmission is working fine. As soon as you start messing with it, you have no idea if it is going to run better or worse.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Drop the pan, change the filter, and add back new fluid - but only if you have enough money in your bank account for a replacement transmission. Right now, your transmission is working fine. As soon as you start messing with it, you have no idea if it is going to run better or worse.

First off, thanks to everyone for the advice. To add onto this Charlie, the kbb value of my car in the area and condition is right around $3-3.5k. With this mileage, am I better off rebuilding the trans if it goes, or using that money towards a different used car? Sorry, this is my very first and only vehicle!!!

Do a simple drain and fill with proper spec fluid (preferably OEM, since it was good for 140k miles.

If the transmission is in good health, it will only benefit from fresh fluid providing the proper spec of slip and protection.

If the tranny is about to expire anyway, well... you've got bigger problems.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Put me in the leave it alone camp.

Could you please explain why you would choose to leave it alone?? Thanks!

Torey

Sometimes dirty ATF has worn out friction particles floating around and that's what help the friction parts holding on to each other. If you replace with clean fluid these friction particles are no longer there, and the transmission may not know how much pressure to apply or not enough friction to keep the clutches, brakes, etc together. But, these friction particles may also wear out the solenoids, so changing may be better.

Hard to say.

Definitely change the fluid. I have changed plenty of transmissions with over 100k on the original fluid and the trans have always shifted better.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Sometimes dirty ATF has worn out friction particles floating around and that's what help the friction parts holding on to each other. If you replace with clean fluid these friction particles are no longer there, and the transmission may not know how much pressure to apply or not enough friction to keep the clutches, brakes, etc together. But, these friction particles may also wear out the solenoids, so changing may be better.

Hard to say.

Right; I'd rather know I have a bad transmission and fix it, than have that transmission leave me stranded on the road somewhere...proactive rather than reactive here....if you change the fluid then you will know, in fairly short order, if you need a rebuild.

If you can find a trusted shop to do it and if they have the means I'd do a machine fluid exchange - NO FLUSHING CHEMICALS and swap the filter out. I'd normally say do a few drain and fills and then change the filter out but you have an American tranny without a drain plug. Unless you can do a cooler line flush.

A 2006 Chevy will do fine on a generic Dex/Merc fluid or the exalted BITOG favorite MaxLife. The latest GM fluid spec is Dexron VI, which can be a "synthetic" fluid and it probably wouldn't hurt it either.

Last edited:
2006 Impala should be Dex VI. which is semi syn. So its not gonna be like grampas buick that slipped on new fluid. So no worries. Its everywhere, plentiful, cheap. If you just drop the pan and just do the filter, that fouls the new filter because you're only changing what falls out of the pan. Which is approx 30% of the total. If you do an exchange at the radiator you can get it all... with the old rock catcher filter still in there. Then after that if you want to drop the filter go ahead. Or never. That method uses the Transmissions pump. As far as a flush. There may have been machines like that years ago, but I don't think they exist anymore. They use the transmission's pump so the pressure is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back