Calling AR guys - AR 10 Rear Sight options

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're not going with optics, I would step up from the MBUS. I have one as a backup to an RMR, but would not consider it a quality piece as a primary sight. It's plastic and there is a lack of precision to it...fine for a backup.

The Samson is a nice piece. Troy also. Midway USA

It depends on how old you are. One day you’re going to wake up and find out that G.I. Joe that could Knock the eye out of an eagle back in the 1970s with M-16 A1 can’t even see the [censored] sight anymore. Something about those aging eyes, starts around 40. Go flattop / low power glass.
If you decide one day you want the carrying handle you can just buy one separate Clamp it on in place of the scope But you probably never will. You can either remove the front sight and put a gas block in its place which is pretty easy or just leave it there and ignore it sticking up in the bottom third of the glass.

Last edited:
I go with a red dot sight and that Magpul backup rear sight in your link.

Personally, my 5.56 guns have 1x red dots. My .308 guns are reach out and touch someone guns. I like a 1-4x, 1-6x variable scope on them.

I like scopes but I love shooting irons,

This AR 10 will be used to punch paper at 100/200- SR-1 targets.

Dots -that sounds good to plink around,

Originally Posted By: Driz
It depends on how old you are. One day you’re going to wake up and find out that G.I. Joe that could Knock the eye out of an eagle back in the 1970s with M-16 A1 can’t even see the [censored] sight anymore. Something about those aging eyes, starts around 40. Go flattop / low power glass.
If you decide one day you want the carrying handle you can just buy one separate Clamp it on in place of the scope But you probably never will. You can either remove the front sight and put a gas block in its place which is pretty easy or just leave it there and ignore it sticking up in the bottom third of the glass.

lol, I am 44 and yes, it has already started, I can't see bleep.

You have answered one question I had on the front sight sticking out with a scope.

Originally Posted By: LotI
If you're not going with optics, I would step up from the MBUS. I have one as a backup to an RMR, but would not consider it a quality piece as a primary sight. It's plastic and there is a lack of precision to it...fine for a backup.

The Samson is a nice piece. Troy also. Midway USA

Gotcha, I wonder if they make one with different diameter diopters.

Magpul makes an all-steel BUIS, it’s about $100.

But all of the flip-up sights are intended as back-ups.

My DPMS LR-308 came with a carry handle. Very sturdy. A BUIS would be a short term/interim solution. They’re no more accurate than the carry handle sight.

I’ve since mounted a Vortex 1-8x24 scope. (Adjusted for eye relief since the photo was taken). I barely notice the front post. Makes the rifle much easier to shoot accurately at longer ranges. On magnification 1, the crisp, illuminated reticle is easy to acquire and shooting with both eyes open is as easy as a red dot.

Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Like Astro, I'm still running the stock carry handle sights on my DPMS AP-4 .308 Carbine. They work well. Even with my 65 year old eyes. Switching to BUIS flip up sights would accomplish nothing. Especially with the gas block A-Frame front sight in place. If I were to change anything sight wise, I would go to a scope and be done with it.

I like the OE site on my Sig 716. It has two different apertures that can be easily exchanged.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I like the OE site on my Sig 716. It has two different apertures that can be easily exchanged.

The carry handle has that: larger aperture for CQB and a smaller one for precision. I thought that was the mil-spec set-up.

The Sig has the flip-up, right?

How do you like the rifle overall? Does the gas piston setup keep the action cleaner? Does it live up to the accuracy claims?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back