Serpentine Belt noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
This concerns the Ranger in my signature.
Bought the truck used 5 years old and 56K miles.
Noticed shortly after I got it, that after a heavy rainstorm or after a snow, that there was a squealing sound that appeared to come from the serpentine belt.
Took it to the mechanic that I used at the time. Said it needed a new belt. He installed a new NAPA belt. No help.
Put up with it for awhile, and when I changed mechanics, had him take a look at it. He said that it was belt noise. While it was squealing, he gave the belt a hit of WD-40, and it quieted down. He recommended and installed a new Goodyear Gatorback. No help that time either.
I have put up with it for quite a while. Getting somewhat sick of the noise, as it is so bad at times, that when driving it down the road pedestrians turn around and look. After about 20 minutes running, the noise stops.
I have owned 4 Rangers, and this is the only one that has done this. Checked belt and it looks good. I hate to keep replacing belts when doing so does not solve the issue. Any ideas?

It sounds like a weak tensioner to me, replace the tensioner, idler and belt all at the same time.
The squealing belt is probably glazed now so its prudent to change it.

Edit: Give every remaining pulley a scuff with and a red scotch bright pad and a quick spray with brake cleaner before installing the new belt.

Last edited:
Could it possible be the cam synchronizer? Try taking the belt off and seeing if the noise is still there. I sell a TON of synchronizers on the 3.0L Vulcans.

21.gif
I just went by this, its a pretty good indicator, but who knows.

Quote:
he gave the belt a hit of WD-40, and it quieted down

I missed that. Taking the belt off and running the engine for a bit won't hurt anything. You have to do it anyway to do any real diag anyway.

It is kinda fun when a shop not used to Fords orders a belt for a Vulcan and then a few hours later calls and asks for a synchronizer and are surprised we have it in stock. It isn't my job to suggest parts, but I can run sales history.

Nothing wrong with running it without the belt to test it. I just read up on this and you are 100% spot on, it seems to be a real issue. It sure helps to have a pro parts guy on the forum.

Make sure all idler and accessory bearings are in good shape.

WD-40 just masked the problem temporarily.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Nothing wrong with running it without the belt to test it. I just read up on this and you are 100% spot on, it seems to be a real issue. It sure helps to have a pro parts guy on the forum.

Dorman makes a replacement but its Dorman.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Just say no to Dorman...

I'm currently battling the same problem as op. If the sound stops when spraying the belt it's probably not the syncronizer. Make sure the tensioner is not broken as they have been known to break and cause the pulley to be off kilter and cause a belt squeak.

Could it possible be the cam synchronizer? Try taking the belt off and seeing if the noise is still there. I sell a TON of synchronizers on the 3.0L Vulcans.

Pretty sure that is is not the cam synchronizer. I had it replaced since owning the truck with a Motorcraft cs. Same behavior before and after replacement.

It sounds like a weak tensioner to me, replace the tensioner, idler and belt all at the same time.
The squealing belt is probably glazed now so its prudent to change it.

Edit: Give every remaining pulley a scuff with and a red scotch bright pad and a quick spray with brake cleaner before installing the new belt.

Thanks, Trav.
I'll probably have my mechanic do the work because it is cold here, and no garage.
I know the guy pretty well and he generally listens. Will give him the procedure and insure that he follow it.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Just say no to Dorman...

For a cam synchronizer, never anything but OEM. Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Make sure all idler and accessory bearings are in good shape.

WD-40 just masked the problem temporarily.

That is all that or belt dressing will do.
Based on history, I know that a new belt is not the cure by itself.
Replacing the belt 2x by itself has done nothing.
Like medical care, sometimes one has to be assertive.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I'm currently battling the same problem as op. If the sound stops when spraying the belt it's probably not the syncronizer. Make sure the tensioner is not broken as they have been known to break and cause the pulley to be off kilter and cause a belt squeak.

Synchronizers will usually chirp or squeak. They make a unique enough sound, that I have found them easy to diagnose. Having had 3 vehicles with the 3.0 I usually replace them between 80-100K as a preventive measure.
In this case, the truck squeals like a pig, until it doesn't. I was leaning toward the tensioner as the next step. The only thing that throws me off is that it only does it when there is extremely damp.

When my Vulcan Taurus got a case of the squeaks, it was a baffling ordeal

We gave the Ford dealer a shot, to the tune of $440

No dice

I decided I can shotgun parts myself for less

Dorman Tensioner, Idler, and very importantly, a Goodyear or Continental Gatorback belt, the one that looks like a tire tread

Your looking at about $70 all in, mines been quiet for several years

Now don't forget that it can be your cam sync, so run it without a belt before ordering parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back