Does lots of starts let gas get in oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For past couple of weeks I've had start/not start issue with my 1.4T GM motor in the Vanderhall. Mostly it starts, other time won't start at all. This had resulted in a lot of momentary starts trying to figure out the problem. Finally took it to dealer and they have also done a lot of starts, trying to get to point of it failing in order to chase down the problem. Turned out to be ignition switch.I haven't picked it up yet.

My question is whether all these starts and not driving has possibly resulted in a lot of gas getting into the oil? If so, I will change it soon as I get it home.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Turned out to be ignition switch.I haven't picked it up yet. My question is whether all these starts and not driving has possibly resulted in a lot of gas getting into the oil?

Is it EFI?

If so, the injectors may have never been opening if the switch is bad.

No injectors opening = No fuel = no fuel in oil

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: tc1446
Turned out to be ignition switch.I haven't picked it up yet. My question is whether all these starts and not driving has possibly resulted in a lot of gas getting into the oil?

Is it EFI?

If so, the injectors may have never been opening if the switch is bad.

No injectors opening = No fuel = no fuel in oil

+1 Check the dipstick if its not gone up don't worry about it. A lot of DI engines have good UOA's even with increased fuel dilution so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Thanks guys. I think it is EFI, but I'll give the dip stick a look and sniff when I get it home tomorrow.

A little bit of gas maybe but not a lot. It's not a concern, will vaporize and be sucked off back into engine the next few times it's driven, just like all the other piston blow-by while it's running.

Sorry to hijack thread but -- my Dads 2000 Dodge Ram 5.2L dip sick always smells like gas at around 1000 miles on the oil. Does not matter if its synthetic or conventional? Its not like it runs down the dipstick like water -- it holds its oil form but what is up with that?

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back