Low Noise Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not seen or heard of this "stealth" property being specifically advertised before, though it might have been. Niche market for private detectives, perhaps "As used by Phillip Marlowe"?

Its a 5W50. Is there any property apart from the high temp viscosity that would contribute to noise reduction?

Just curious, not interested in buying it, since its too wide a range and I don't particularly want to reduce my engine noise. I do use CPC stuff, but this is over twice as expensive as the 15W40, the price of silence.

I wouldn’t trust that brand...never heard of it. How long have you been using it?
Edit: sorry didn’t realize your location.

Last edited:
The "standard low-noise motor oil" in the United States:

grin.gif
lol.gif
grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

4115Z3CbB8L._SY355_.jpg

Originally Posted By: pda1122
I wouldn’t trust that brand...never heard of it. How long have you been using it?
Edit: sorry didn’t realize your location.

Understood. I bought the SAE 40 for use in a motorcycle, and ended up using it in the car along with Delvac MX 15W40 after an oil leak.The Delvac is no longer available and CPC seems to be the only SJ oil readily obtainable now.

When that's gone I'll probably use Castrol "Go" 20W40 motorcycle oil, if it (and I, and the car) is/are still around. Made in Thailand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
I like the "Extra Special Motor Oil" part.

Never heard of it? That makes it extra special.

How does Lucas Oil Stabilizer still sell? I only used Hyper-Lube Red Bottle with Jobaba to prime my oil filters long ago. Took 5 oci to use bottle. Big Lots special at 2.00qt, bought 5 qts.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Well the question is; Does it work to make your car quieter ...

They can claim anything they want. But, does it work?

Well, its a question, but not a very interesting one, unless you care about engine noise per se, which I don't.

More interesting questions, IMO, would be:-

(a) HOW would/could it work?

I THINK the Lucas stabiliser stuff is either just thick oil or viscosity improver (can't remember which but probably the latter?) That would suggest any sound reduction is simply a function of viscosity. Can't think of much else. Density? Don't put any anti-foam in so it forms a sound-insulating bubbles? (bad for lubrication though) Sound insulating nano-particles? (finely grround eggboxes/fullerenes). Maybe un-extended VII have some special sound-deadening properties due to (total?) internal reflection/absorbance of sound (maybe not).

If it IS just a viscosity effect you would think the 20W50 at less than half the price would be about as good (OK, the 50 is a range. I don't know the actual viscosities).

(b) Is engine noise a proxy for something more meaningful? Specifically, is it a proxy for wear? If it is (and I think it might be to some extent) then engine noise could be an indicator of an oils effectiveness which would in principle be measurable, and a whole new OCD arena trembles before the analytical power of the smartphone app.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Lucas is heavy , detergentless oil.

Yes, putting a quart of 20w-50 would be entirely more beneficial than lucas.

"putting a quart of 20w-50" in what?

I was comparing the CPC low noise 5W50 stuff pictured above with the CPC 20W50 stuff pictured above, because thats a more relevent comparison, and because I know nothing about Lucas. I suppose it was a bit ambiguous, though.

Last edited:
Are you guys just figuring out that all the ridiculous claims oil makers make are complete nonsense? Three basic grades of motor oil, they are light, medium and heavy.

Putting a quart of 20w-50 would be better than a quart of lucas

You said it again. Stop it.

Without more context information, such as (a) what you mean by "better", (b) what you are putting it in, and (c) the viscosity of the Lucas stabiliser stuff, (which you might know but I don't) its an unsupported, largely meaningless, and probably irrelevent /off topic statement.

For example, if you put 20w50 in the same 20w50 you obviously won't make any difference to its properties. If the Lucas stabiliser stuff is very thick oil and you put it in 20w50 you'll raise the low temp viscosity and probably the high temp viscosity as well.

The thread is about a "low noise oil". That's why the title is "Low Noise Oil".

"Low Noise Oil". probably just means high viscosity oil, but I wondered if there MIGHT be more to it. Comparing another oil by the same producer with the same high temp viscosity would be relevent to that question.

If y'all are more comfortable slagging off the unspecified merits of Lucas Oil Stabiliser I'd guess there are existing threads on that topic.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Putting a quart of 20w-50 would be better than a quart of lucas

You said it again. Stop it.

Without more context information, such as (a) what you mean by "better", (b) what you are putting it in, and (c) the viscosity of the Lucas stabiliser stuff, (which you might know but I don't) its an unsupported, largely meaningless, and probably irrelevent /off topic statement.

For example, if you put 20w50 in the same 20w50 you obviously won't make any difference to its properties. If the Lucas stabiliser stuff is very thick oil and you put it in 20w50 you'll raise the low temp viscosity and probably the high temp viscosity as well.

The thread is about a "low noise oil". That's why the title is "Low Noise Oil".

"Low Noise Oil". probably just means high viscosity oil, but I wondered if there MIGHT be more to it. Comparing another oil by the same producer with the same high temp viscosity would be relevent to that question.

If y'all are more comfortable slagging off the unspecified merits of Lucas Oil Stabiliser I'd guess there are existing threads on that topic.

It's very clear what I am saying. I am sorry you are unable to understand.

Lucas is very thick detergentless, additiveless oil. It does absolutely nothing except make the oil in the sump thicker and dillute the additives and detergents in the sump.

20w-50 is similar in viscosity. Except it has at least something in it. It also would thicken the oil but not dillute the oil as much.

"Low noise" is just very heavy. That's it. That is all Lucas has. It's just so heavy that makes it so you can't hear a lot of the noises an engine makes.

If you still don't understand, I'm sorry.

It's very clear what I am saying. I am sorry you are unable to understand.

It's very clear above what I am saying is wrong with your statement. Now you've added innacurate and self-contradictory to the list, as well as expanding on the existing irrelevance.

Lucas is very thick detergentless, additiveless oil. It does absolutely nothing except make the oil in the sump thicker and dillute the additives and detergents in the sump.

This may well be true for all I know or care, but this alleged inadequacy has nothing to do with noise reduction.

"Low noise" is just very heavy. That's it. That is all Lucas has. It's just so heavy that makes it so you can't hear a lot of the noises an engine makes.

So you've used the terms "heavy" and "thick". These are not technical terms with a well defined meaning in this context, but I'll assume they relate to specific gravity and viscosity, respectively. It's rather unclear whether you think specific gravity or viscosity is responsible for the noise reduction, but you seem to be emphasizing specific gravity here. (perhaps its both?)

20w-50 is similar in viscosity. Except it has at least something in it. It also would thicken the oil but not dillute the oil as much.

OK, now you have switched to viscosity and made a specific statement (along with a bit more irrelevance) which can be checked.

CPC gives "Heavy Duty Extra Special SJ/CD Motor Oil 20W/50" a 100C viscosity by ASTM D-445 of 17.28 Cst.
Lucas gives 110.0 Cst by the same method, so they are apparently NOT "similar in viscosity", and adding the Lucas to 20W/50 is going to raise its viscosity.

So IF an increase in viscosity gives noise reduction, which I don't know, Lucas is likely to make more difference.

(The respective specific gravities are 0.8860 and 0.8956, but they give different methods, and Lucas F's about with Fahrenheit, which I can't be bothered converting.)

https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Heavy_Duty_Oil_Stabilizer.pdf

http://new.cpc.com.tw/division/lb/feature-text.aspx?ID=225

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back