Another ATF question... I aplogize

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vehicle is a 2005 Hyundai Elantra 2.0l with automatic transmission. I have heard, and seen that some folks say to use only Hyundai Brand SP III ATF for the automatic transmission of this vehicle. I am not the original owner of the car and much of its service history is shrouded in mystery, but the manual says to change the ATF (for the first time) at 105,000 miles. Currently the vehicle has only 90,000 miles. What I'm trying to say is that it most likely still contains the original ATF from the factory. So, I'm going to buy some ATF fluid (to do a change) and I was wondering if any ATF that meets SP III standard will do, or would it be better to use only the Hyundai brand to mix to continue with the same fluid?

Or, are there better alternatives that would mix well with the current fluid? (obviously very important) thx.

Wife drives an 08 that also has a 2.0. She has about 40,000 miles on it and the fluid looked very dark so I did 3 drain/fills when doing oil changes. Literally one bolt to undo (24mm sounds right). I believe exactly two quarts comes out. Make sure to do the fluid change cold so the fluid is the same temp. I’ve heard volume changes by temp. It looks great now! I’d say if it doesn’t look like chocolate milk, it’s been maintained. I plan on doing a drain/fill every 20-30,000 miles or so here on out. YouTube videos can show you line cooler flush and correct specs if needed. Personally I’m not worried about changing the filter. I believe Hyundai themselves just do something called a backflush and have heard horror stories about all the junk just being backwashed and then trapped again. I don’t think they even change the filter. I used that Eneos SP fluid from Napa auto parts. Hopefully they have stores on the island...

Originally Posted By: pda1122
I used that Eneos SP fluid from Napa auto parts. Hopefully they have stores on the island...

Yes, Napa stores are here. It can mix well with the original fluid? Both SP3s?

Link to product
Enter your store and see if it’s in stock. It’s called “atf type sp” fluid and designed to meet sp-III requirements. It’s a bit more ($6.69 here)than what I remember paying for it; I’d call Kia or Hyundai dealerships around you (if any)to quote prices also.

*it may be 3 quarts per drain/fill. I used an open faced oil drain pan with markings. You could also dump your drain pan into an empty 5 qt. container with markings and see-thru sight strip

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
They are not that picky. I have used Valvoline maxlife in the last 4 Hyundai and Kias I did a trans fluid drain/fill on.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Max...Gallon/15125768

Even the Supertech Synthetic fluid will work fine and meets spec.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Mu...-1-gal/52626199

And I like to do a drain fill at least every 50k on those. Some at 30k if its burnt. Cheap, easy, and will add life to the transmission.

Looked at those per your links. Neither container says SP3... it lists other standards though. What do they mean? (Dex, Merc, Mercon)

Valvoline Max Life is the way to go. I have used it on 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia. At 155,000 miles on the Santa Fe it shifts better than new. Always had a hard downshift with the factory fill. Max Life fixed that. I think it is superior to the Hyundai fluid. Did a drain and refill on that one three times. Don't do a flush...just drain and refill.

I am a fan of Valvoline Maxlife synthetic too. Walmart has it at a good price on 4 qt. container.

Maxlife is good, and so is Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. On sale for one more day at AAP (2/22 is the last day for the sale) $5/qt when you buy in multiples of 2
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bardos
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
They are not that picky. I have used Valvoline maxlife in the last 4 Hyundai and Kias I did a trans fluid drain/fill on.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Max...Gallon/15125768

Even the Supertech Synthetic fluid will work fine and meets spec.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Mu...-1-gal/52626199

And I like to do a drain fill at least every 50k on those. Some at 30k if its burnt. Cheap, easy, and will add life to the transmission.

Looked at those per your links. Neither container says SP3... it lists other standards though. What do they mean? (Dex, Merc, Mercon)

The Walmart Supertech brand lists it under "about this item"; you need to scroll down a lot.

Dexron and Mercon are old specifications from GM and Ford respectively.

The walmart brand indicates

Recommended for a wide range of vehicles requiring DEXRON-VI and MERCON LV fluids
Additionally recommended for transmissions calling for DEXRON-III-H, Toyota WS, Toyota T IV, Honda Z-1, Honda DW-1, Hyundai/Kia/Mitsubishi SP-III, SP-IV, JASO 1A, 2A, JWS 3309, 3324, Audi/VW G-052-162-A1/A2, G-055-025-A2, TL 521 62, LT 71141, TL 521 62, BMW 5 HP, 5HP LT 71141, LA2634, BMW/Mini 83 22 0 402 4139, Volvo 97340, 97341, Subaru ATF, ATF HP, Nissan/Infiniti MATIC D, J, K, S, Scion, Mazda ATF M III and MV

Many people throw shade @ fluids that claim to be appropriate for many manufacturers specifications.

It may not be a miracle fluid, it may simply indicate how similar all those 'magic fluids' from each manufacturers really are.

I would (and have) use Maxlife; I use it in a friends Tundra automatic

Last edited:
I like synthetic fluids for our cold clime. (OP, I realize [with envy] that this is not an issue for you.) I'd read, likely here on BITOG, that the original Mitsu/Hyundai/Kia SP-III is not that robust, so I've done a couple of drain & fills on our '09 Kia Sedona, using AMSOIL's Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. I'm happy with it so far.

The Sedona has a drain plug on the pan, which makes it easy. I drained the pan into a container, measured the volume that came out, and refilled with same.

Noted (too late) that ATF is not recommended for use as a power-steering fluid in the Kia. I used the AMSOIL ATF without knowing this, and thought the the steering feel deteriorated noticeably. Did a number of drains and refills with a dedicated synthetic PSF, which rectified the problem. It's easy to get confused as I think the PF spec is something like 'PSF-III', similar to the ATF (SP-III) designation.

I’ve changed the ATF on several Kias. I’ve had good results with Valvoline and Castrol Import. I topped one off with Carquest Global, and it also works well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back