Motorcraft fl1a cut open 3yrs oci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
First c&p this is off my brothers mazda b4000, happens to be the same engine as mine in the sig. I changed the oil for him back in Feb 2015 when he bought the truck, and It had 169,370 miles then, (title)... I put in Castrol gtx hm syn.blend 5w30 on that change Then ...Now; 175,169 miles and 3 yr's later I put in valvoline maxlife full syn 10w30, and another fl1a filter...plus replaced an air filter, I'll post pic's of the air filter another time
frown.gif
...Side note he doesn't care too much about this truck he bought it cheap,$500.00 it sit's more than anything..keeps it for anyone who need's a pickup for moving stuff ect (family)..., I was the only one willing to do and give it a free oil change, anyway here are some pic's, my cell phone doesn't take the greatest pics... No tear', filter could go another who know's how long ,filter media feels strong, oil should have been changed 2 yr's ago IMHO..

I don't know if this is a rubber or synthetic adbv.

The filter media felt strong, I would say this filter could go a lot longer...

Some thin sludge at the bottom of the filter...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rollinpete
... filter could go another who know's how long ,filter media feels strong, oil should have been changed 2 yr's ago IMHO.

Based on the amount of crud in the bottom of the filter I'd say it shouldn't go any further. There has to be a good amount of crud in the media too. That engine isn't very clean inside or the use was super severe for that much crud in 6K miles. Good C&P - thanks.

I think that filter worked over time! It's good to see a good ole MC filter that can stand up to anything thrown at it. Thanks for the C&P.
BTW, did a fire breathing beaver cut that filter open?
21.gif

Feb 2015....isn't that before the Tearolater era arrived? Not so sure about trying that today. I use all my generic MC's for no more than 3K-4K miles.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I think that filter worked over time! It's good to see a good ole MC filter that can stand up to anything thrown at it. Thanks for the C&P.
BTW, did a fire breathing beaver cut that filter open?
21.gif

yup some sheet metal snips

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Feb 2015....isn't that before the Tearolater era arrived? Not so sure about trying that today. I use all my generic MC's for no more than 3K-4K miles.

I think the filter did a good job but after 3 yrs the oil was not so good,,, I
forgot to mention there was about a quart make up oil...

Nope, 2014 was when the tearing was really starting to get reported.
As far as I have seen, no Puro filter with the string around the media has had any tears, and the string has not been used in several years.

This filter was made Nov 7, 2014.

Originally Posted By: car51
Rollinpete: your pics are better than mine
smile.gif

Thank You for C&p also sir

Thank your's are monumental Thanks...

Last edited:
There FL-1A is a pretty BIG filter for such a small engine.

I doubt it has had to deal with any "excessive Delta P issues"

Think it was about this time of year in 2014 when the Tearolator issue popped up.

Question; The MC FL1A oil filter built today, does the bypass valve still have (4) inlet holes as this FL1A oil filter has, or are there now (8) inlet holes? When I had cut open older FL400S filters the bypass valve had (4) inlet holes. The newer FL400S has (8) bypass inlet holes.
21.gif

3 year OCI? Might want to put some Pine-Sol in that oil because it is starting to ferment
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Question; The MC FL1A oil filter built today, does the bypass valve still have (4) inlet holes as this FL1A oil filter has, or are there now (8) inlet holes? When I had cut open older FL400S filters the bypass valve had (4) inlet holes. The newer FL400S has (8) bypass inlet holes.
21.gif

I don't know if the newer ones are the same...I would use this filter no problem, I think it's well made...
The one I put in was the last motorcraft out of my stash of filters, same as the one I cut open...
I'm using a supertech , the one in my sig. I got a bunch of them WM online when they were 98 cents each...
Basically I want to run this supertech 1/2 year and cut it open, and see how it does...
I'll post pick's when I do...

This example shows why I am leery of using a filter for multiple or multi year oil changes. The element looks solid, with straight pleats and no tears, however, the media looks like it was dipped in crude oil or grease! How can you tell the filter was not in bypass mode most of the time? I probably change filters way before they are used up due to "bypass phobia" I do sleep better though.

Thank you for taking the time to cut and post. Free education is one of the many benefits of BITOG :)

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
This example shows why I am leery of using a filter for multiple or multi year oil changes. The element looks solid, with straight pleats and no tears, however, the media looks like it was dipped in crude oil or grease! How can you tell the filter was not in bypass mode most of the time? I probably change filters way before they are used up due to "bypass phobia" I do sleep better though.

Thank you for taking the time to cut and post. Free education is one of the many benefits of BITOG :)

It just makes more sense to live by this;

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back