Is arming teachers the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion it would be of little value. I also prefer teachers to teach not be security guards.

I think the few that would be comfortable to carry would most likely only be willing to use their weapon in self defense of themselves or their class. They would not seek out a shooter to stop them. They could also become targets themselves from police thinking they are the shooter.

Also in a time of high stress missing your target is highly likely.

I don't honestly think the thought of teachers armed would stop anyone either. They usually plan on dying in the incident regardless.

Your thoughts? Thoughts from our neighbor to the north?

Last edited:
So if your child is in a classroom huddled down, during an active shooter situration. As the armed manic enters the classroom, do you want the trained teacher to be able to fire on the armed killer entering the room?

Or do you want the teacher and the kids to stay hunkered down with no chance of the killer being stopped as he fires at will ?

My child is grown, but i would have no problem with teachers that are willing to be trained to be part of a survival plan.

Last edited:
First off I am a gun owner with no solutions.

I really think this is crazy.Teachers are already underpaid for what they do and they don't need that responsibility also. Let them teach in a safe classroom.

A teacher with a pistol and a psycho with an AR, I think we all know how that would end.

Israel suffered from school massacres. They armed the teachers. No more school massacres. There has been two school attacks since they armed the teachers, and the teachers killed the attackers both times.

Yes it's a good idea. Very few teachers would want to carry. But the ones that want to, should be allowed to. It's additional security in the schools at minimal cost. The teachers are already there every day. The teachers that want to carry, already own a gun. The local police dept would train them for free or low cost. Anyone against this has zero grasp on reality.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
So if your child is in a classroom huddled down, during an active shooter situration. As the armed manic enters the classroom, do you want the trained teacher to be able to fire on the armed killer entering the room?

No I don't want armed teachers. I would rather see laws and changes that would try to reduce it in the first place.

Second it is estimated that 20% or fewer teachers would carry. So the likely hood of them intervening would be small.

Yeah, sure. Why not!
Arm the kids too while we're at it
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Israel suffered from school massacres. They armed the teachers. No more school massacres. There has been two school attacks since they armed the teachers, and the teachers killed the attackers both times.

Yes it's a good idea. Very few teachers would want to carry. But the ones that want to, should be allowed to. It's additional security in the schools at minimal cost. The teachers are already there every day. The teachers that want to carry, already own a gun. The local police dept would train them for free or low cost. Anyone against this has zero grasp on reality.

I was going to post when I saw this thread that Israel does it very effectively.

I think enforcing the laws we have in place is a good start.

Administrators and Teachers who wish to be trained is another.
Most of the school districts down here have their own police forces.
Our local Constables are also stepping up and helping out.

Being passive is not an option.
Fight back with whatever you can get your hands on.

Sure, if they want to be and are proficient. There aren't many who would want to, but enough to help. At least get rid of the silly Gun Free Zone signs and let the weak coward nutjobs know, they will face some resistance AND they will not be spoken of and name plastered all over the place. I know our state now has plenty of surplus dollars, adding a guard or two could be afforded as well.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I would rather see laws and changes that would try to reduce it in the first place.

Murder is already illegal and generally carries the strongest penalties among all crimes. What additional laws do you propose that will be a more effective deterrent?

As long as we continue to focus on the HOW and not the WHY this will sadly continue.

Everything I could find said they use armed guards.

An industrialized "civilized" country that deals with this issue by trying to arm teachers? I don't know of any other. The parents of the first child shot by a teacher in error will bring that school district to it's knees with lawsuits. This is the definition of a slippery slop.

Originally Posted By: bruckus
A teacher with a pistol and a psycho with an AR, I think we all know how that would end.

Yea, you think you know.

A teacher without a pistol and a psycho with and AR, we already know how that ends.

I have a solution. Set up schools with only one entrance and hire armed security guards. Pay for the security guards with a tax on ammo and guns.

Israel suffered from school massacres. They armed the teachers. No more school massacres.

^^^ THIS ^^^

It's darn hard to argue with success.

My Wife is a teacher, and yes I would love for her to be able to respond to a school shooter. She is going to be there anyway. She can either be a victim of possibly be able to stop it. I choose the later.

We need to also enforce the laws we have. This last one did more than "slip" through the cracks. Attaching "mental health" issues with the current background check system is another thing we should be doing. But banning firearms on how they look so law abiding citizens can't buy them is not the answer.

I know it might take me 15 minutes of hard driving to respond to a 911 call depending on where I am at the time. That is an eternity. I know I would want my family to have more than a revolver or a 10 round mag to use while they are waiting.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Israel suffered from school massacres. They armed the teachers. No more school massacres.

^^^ THIS ^^^

It's darn hard to argue with success.

What I have read is armed guards not teachers.

We seem able to hire security for our banks, hospitals and government buildings, why not for our schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back