04 350z Mineral Oil only? (and rec. request)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I've owned a 2004 Nissan 350z since brand new (December 2003), and just now came across a blurb in the owner's manual that states "NISSAN recommends mineral based oils." Aside from the factory oil and one dealer change, this thing has had synthetics. Any ideas on why Nissan would say this? 2004 wasn't pre-synthetic days. Any thought if I should switch back to non-synthetic? It has 75,XXX miles.

The manual also says 5w30 preferred. In selecting an oil for another car (05 Legacy GT) with the help of this board, I've learned a bit about recommended oils (10w30 and 10w40 are ok if operating temps are above 0 degrees). This car has mostly had 5W30 Castrol Edge or Mobil 1, but I did try the 0w40 German Castrol years ago seemingly without issue. It generally has Wix filters.

Looking through other tests, it seems that Castrol Edge or the Pennzoil Platinum is the way to go. Is 5w30 fine, or would 10w30/10w40 (or back to 0w40) be better? (it would likely not be driven under 0 degrees)

Also, factory filters? I'm not wed to Wix, e.g., if for example, the Purolator Boss is the way to go, i'm happy to do that. (or, is a filter like a Purolator One better--i've read on here that for enthusiastically driven engines perhaps higher flow/less filtering filters would be a wiser choice)

Change intervals are approx 3500. This car is not driven much, but when it is, it is driven enthusiastically in the mountains and has been on tracks, but the local track is no longer allowing convertibles. Occasionally the car is driven on long road trips. It has not had any oil analysis done, but will shortly.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I don't think you have done any damage using synthetics. I also have a Nissan that I use synthetics on because by 5,000 miles, the oil is really thin.

Synthetic is okay in that engine. I would use the thicker euro stuff too, like 0w30,0w40 if possible and a fram ultra which has exceptional flow while having the best filtering rating around.

i think you just read it as they didn't bother to test a synthetic oil . It doesn't say synthetics not recommended, it just says mineral oil recommended.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Synthetic is okay in that engine. I would use the thicker euro stuff too, like 0w30,0w40 if possible and a fram ultra which has exceptional flow while having the best filtering rating around.

for my Legacy GT, seemingly the go-to oil is Rotella T6 5w40. Any idea if this would be a good choice?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

thanks for the filter recommendation. I know fram filters are often [censored] on--I didn't know this was a good one.

Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd run Mobil 1 0W-40 and a Wix if it was mine.

Why Mobil 1 over Castrol?

I'm on a Mobil kick right now.

Nothing wrong with the Castrol, it probably edges out the Mobil and Pennzoil by a bit.

RooflessVW doesn't know why he choose Mobil over Castrol either
lol.gif

I am just kidding around there with that.

For your Nissan.. The floor is wide open in my opinion. I have essentially the same motor in my car. I have run 11 different full synthetic oils in my car. I have run 4 different conventional oils in it. All 5w30s. My car is at 220,000 miles and runs great. Hardly any oil loss between oil changes. I got the car when it had only 39k miles on it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with everyone's advice given so far. It is all very good.

I have liked how well the Castrol gold bottle 5w30 ran in my 3.5 VQ. If you are going to go on a long run either that or Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol 0w40 would be good. These VQ motors are known to shear oil out of grade a good bit. As far as filter goes... Fram Ultra is obviously great. But if you wanted to run a Fram orange can it would be just fine as well. I have a Fram orange 7317 on my Altima 3.5 VQ right now.

Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111
I've owned a 2004 Nissan 350z since brand new (December 2003), and just now came across a blurb in the owner's manual that states "NISSAN recommends mineral based oils." Aside from the factory oil and one dealer change, this thing has had synthetics. Any ideas on why Nissan would say this? 2004 wasn't pre-synthetic days. Any thought if I should switch back to non-synthetic?

I think they were just using that as an awkward way to state that conventional is the basic requirement. Similar wording has carried on afterwards, too, in the G37 manual, for instance.

They are just trying to save you money....

They know that all Nissan 350Z owners change their oil far too soon and too often....

So they figure "why tell owners to use the expensive stuff, if they're just going to dump it out too soon, anyway"?

grin.gif
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif
lol.gif

I have the same set up in my new to me 04 G35 coupe.

Previous owner had records of oil changes at quick lubes. Nothing special up to 123k.

I just changed it out with my stash of Maxlife 5w30 and Fram TG. Drove it for a summer before winter storage and noticed no oil consumption. For 3-5k OCI around town, not tracked, and no canyons cause MN, I personally don't see the need for fancy stuff.

VQ's have a notoriety for burning oil, but IMO it's nothing different than owning something like a revving Honda Vtec 4 banger like I've previous had. Improper new engine/car break in, driving it hard, hang RPM's in the upper band all equal oil consumption. Know how you drive, check the oil levels more than you think you should, and you'll be fine.

Side note #1 .. I hate the cock-eyed dip stick. C'mon Nissan.
Side note #2 .. the spec'd oil filters are tiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back