Another Brake Fluid Flush Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve lost track of how many one-man brake fluid flush videos and DIY tutorials I’ve watched and read. I always use my Vacula but wonder if there is a better, easier way. Eric the Car Guy has a video where he pumps the brake pedal while fluid is expelled through a plastic tube into a bottle. I always wondered why air isn’t sucked into the system past the bleeder threads when the brake pedal is released. I certainly see a lot of air bubbles in the fluid when I use my Vacula. The way I learned as a kid was you have a partner who works the brake pedal. You open the bleeder on the down stroke but close the bleeder before the pedal is released. Question: can one person pump the brake pedal with the bleeder valve open? This would certainly make the job easier. Thanks.

Here is what I use although I rigged it to operate with a mechanical vacuum pump instead of an air compressor.

http://tool-xpress.com/store/product/vacula-air-canister-brake-bleeding-system-1-9-qt-vu18-0051/

Last edited:
Yes, it can be done. I routinely do one-man bleeding. You crack open the bleeder screw about a half turn. This allows fluid to flow out under pressure and releasing the brake pedal lets only a tiny amount to be slurped back in... kind of a poor man`s one-way valve. Keeping a tube on the bleeder screw makes sure no air is slurped back in.

71Z5x4eszIL._SL1500_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71Z5x4eszIL._SL1500_.jpg

(Embedded images preview isn't working for me lately)

Perhaps more versatile, and almost certainly more reliable than your Vacula, which is way overkill for non-pro use. Good name though.

But its only 0.5% of the cost, so its not going to fly on bitog.

IF it sucks air (you can pull or push fluid, or cycle between them) if you hold the syringe higher then the bleed screw the bubbles will rise into it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Yes, it can be done. I routinely do one-man bleeding. You crack open the bleeder screw about a half turn. This allows fluid to flow out under pressure and releasing the brake pedal lets only a tiny amount to be slurped back in... kind of a poor man`s one-way valve. Keeping a tube on the bleeder screw makes sure no air is slurped back in.

What about air sucked in past the bleeder threads?

My own home made one man brake bleeder. I bought the 3/8" O.D. - 1/4" I.D hose at an ACE Hardware and used a quart drinking bottle.

Honestly I was skeptical of the one man bleeder system. So I decided to try it out. I made the bleeder as shown on youtube. Hooked it up and cracked open the bleeder valve. Pressed on the pedal several times and and checked the fluid level. Found on my vehicle I can pump the brake pedal a dozen times before needing to refill fluid level. It did work. I do it this way all the time now. Wife is much happier not having to be the brake buddy.

Tip for first time bleeders: You will empty the brake fluid reservoir faster bleeding the front brakes vs the rear brakes on most vehicles.

Originally Posted By: MRtv
Wife is much happier not having to be the brake buddy.

No experience using wives for this, but I've tested Scottish and Taiwanese girlfriends in this role. Neither were very reliable, and they are probably also the most expensive solution on the market.

You need two things for the 1 man bottle tool to work:
1) correct ID rubber hose. use a small hose clamp to seal if anal.
2) fluid present inside the bottle covering the lowest level of the hose

#1 helps minimize risk of air bubbles making it through the hose/nipple connection.
#2 makes it so there's no air, but rather fluid coming back up the hose when you let off the brake pedal. After a few cycles, any residual air in the tube from the start has been pushed through and the hose is pure fluid. The tiny bit of old fluid that gets pulled back up by letting off the pedal is nil and not enough to be a concern. Just keep cycling the fluid.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My own home made one man brake bleeder. I bought the 3/8" O.D. - 1/4" I.D hose at an ACE Hardware and used a quart drinking bottle.

This is the machine that works. This is how I have been bleeding my brakes for decades

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Garak
Gravity bleeding can work, too.

+1 It can and does, too easy right.
If a gravity bleed doesn't work. There is a leak sucking in air. It proves your work when replacing lines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: Garak
Gravity bleeding can work, too.

If a gravity bleed doesn't work. There is a leak sucking in air. It proves your work when replacing lines.

It doesn't really matter, the master cylinder is above the bleed screw, it has not option other than to drip out. You are right about it sometimes taking a longer time but eventually it will.
On those I usually just give the brake pedal a light touch to get it moving.

When installing new calipers I always remove the bleeders first and put a couple of turns of thread tape on them and put them back in without bottoming. This seals the threads and once bled and tightened prevents the screw for seizing later.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: Kestas

What about air sucked in past the bleeder threads?

I've never had it be a problem. If anything, I've had fluid seep past the threads from the high pressure push stroke. The return stroke can produce only so much negative pressure (14.7psi at most). The proof is in the results.

Yep. It just goes to show, no matter how long I've been playing around with equipment, I can still learn things. I never believed in gravity bleeding until I had to try it out of necessity. Believe me, I kicked myself around the garage the entire time for not having tried it earlier, like years earlier!

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Dang thats funny. I would have paid big coin to see it first hand though.

Uh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back