UOA - never did one - worthwhile to do one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:

I've never had a UOA done on any car I've owned and only heard about them when I joined BITOG. I have always maintained and treated my vehicles to the most stringent standards including Top Tier gas and changed oil regularly (and oftentimes probably prematurely). Therefore, is there any value for me to do an UOA on my two vehicles? One is my 1995 Maxima with about 70k miles the other is my 2015 Corolla with about 40k miles. Both bought new and 5w-30 Mobil1/Nissan filter used on Maxima and TGMO 0w-20 synthetic/Toyota filter used on Corolla. From what I understand on the articles on the site, a UOA isn't going to tell me the "condition" of the engine or perhaps the life left, but more so the condition of the used oil which is useful for OCI decisions (which really isn't a factor for me as the oil is changed before recommended mileage/time limits). Thanks so much.

Pretty much my situation.

I believe you're on to the correct conclusion. Prematurely changed oil and filters of "today's" quality probably have done their job.
I'd bet an oil analysis would only tell you about metal wear endemic to a particular engine.

My plan is to change my oil today and do any topping off with the same oil. At 5,000 mi. (factory 7,500 mi. OCI) I'll have an analysis done.
I too do not know what it'll tell me.

Unless you're just curious about the various values, it's not worth doing. Your engines have loads of life (easily 150K+) left with your current maintenance regimen. UOAs aren't going to help you coax more life out of them.

Thanks folks. It would indeed be interesting to see the analysis but as I don't suspect any problems I've read about like coolant leaks, etc. AND I've been doing stringent maintenance, I think the expense is better put towards other necessities - like more Top Tier gasoline or an upcoming coolant change!

Same here.

I take care of my stuff. I don't even go overboard: I change fluids per the manufacturer, I pump gas at the most convenient station, I don't use additives or boutique products, and I fix my car if/when it breaks. I keep my cars a LONG time (most get recycled when I'm done - rust has done them in by that point) but I've never blown an engine, therefore I'm not convinced that I should do anything differently.

So, if I'm set in my ways and won't change my habits, UOA results aren't worth much!

UOA is a tool I use 1X per year just to see what is going on inside my fleets engines as they are scattered out through the Midwest and away at school where i quiz my kids on maint.

I has saved my bacon a few times finding leaking intakes and sucking antifreeze into the oil on my GM 3.1 and 3.8 motors and it was a good tool to help detect a cracked head-gasket in my sons old jeep for your cars its around 50 or 60 bucks for 2 samples and you will sleep better at nite , at least I do

UOA will tell you the life left in that oil not the engine. If you change the oil as required under your warranty you will never use up a good full synthetic. But the problem with a UOA is it will cost you just as much if not more than a DIY oil change.

Save your money. UOA sometimes get way over analyzed and some folks don't sleep when they see 1 ppm increase.

Originally Posted By: NissanMaxima
Hi all:

I've never had a UOA done on any car... a UOA isn't going to tell me the "condition" of the engine or perhaps the life left, but more so the condition of the used oil which is useful for OCI decisions (which really isn't a factor for me as the oil is changed before recommended mileage/time limits). Thanks so much.

You sir, have answered your own question.

My understanding of this is that the uoa is not meant as a snapshot of engine health but a tool to be used to discern trends.

I don't see any point to them unless you just dig on oil.

In my opinion, engines will last a long, long time with proper oil changes. It's the seals that wear out and leak that kills them. At least that's been my experiences.

I'm going to pull an ATF sample when/if my Rav4 hits 365k miles. Just wanted to get a data point at 100k miles past the last one. Blackstone put it in their newsletter and said to change it out. I haven't touched it and might was send them the sample to add to the body of knowledge.

How many people actually change what they're doing based on a UOA?

To me at least, UOAs are all about entertainment.
The only one I've ever posted that surprised me was one from my old BMW, which showed much lower wear metals than I would have expected.
The rest were more confirmations of what I already knew.
Still, they're fun to do occasionally and can alert you to developing problems.
They're also less than twenty bucks if bought in some volume from Polaris, which may be a better lab than that which shall not be named.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back