Deck ice problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a trex deck outside of our front door on our new house. The house is north facing so during winter the whole front of the house never gets direct sun. We’re having an ice build up problem there and I’m not quite sure what to do with it. I try to keep it clear of snow and such but, despite gutters with caps and a strip to divert runoff from the door, we’re still getting a real slip hazard forming. Anyone have any suggestion for dealing with this? Is there an ice melt that’s safe to use on trex? I The stairs going up to the front are fine, it’s the area right in front of the front doors that is the problem.

Thx in advance for any suggestions!

Covered porch / roof of some sort? If not all of then just next to the door. Might be nice to be out of the rain while fumbling with keys.

Urea is a good safe for pets ice melt that is non-corrosive and that does not cause damage to concrete. I buy 50 pounds every year at a golf course supply business and use it on my front porch and driveway. It is also what you find in lawn fertilizer so any runoff just feeds the lawn. Put this down along with a bit of sand and you should have no problems.

Mechanical removal, eg get a metal shovel and crack off a little bit at a time.

I use big entrance mats from either Home Depot or Lowes. I keep four, because I constantly rotate two frozen / wet ones for two dry ones. No more slipping off the porch and dislocating a shoulder.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Use the other door ! :)

I do. I go through the garage.
wink.gif

It's the delivery folks I worry about.

So sand and rotate frozen mats, sounds like a plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back