Preventative Care ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if there's a list from federal government about certain tests which should be done in annual wellness exam or as preventive ?

I understand, every insurance is different and all. But does anyone know if there's a minimal list(or a baseline) set up by anyone?

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

Guess it depends on your age and family history and general health.

Isn't it age based? Your insurance provider will actually be able to tell you what exams/procedures are covered for you, based on your age.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Isn't it age based? Your insurance provider will actually be able to tell you what exams/procedures are covered for you, based on your age.

Won't that be age discrimination?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

It's called common sense. You usually dont get a prostate exam or a colonoscopy at age 30.

No. The body of an 80 year old and the body of a 20 year old have vastly different needs and concerns.

Certain disorders like prostate cancer and colon cancer become an issue later on in life.

I was mostly commenting on the procedures that insurance would fully cover. Anyone of any age is always free to go pay to get any medically warranted procedure or test.

If you have specific concerns (symptoms) regarding your health or are above ~ 40 y/o, get regular checkups. Your physician who can track your health over time, will recommend the needed tests. If you don't trust that doctor to do so then it is a sign you need to find one you do trust.

Thanks, I understand depends on age and all.

But was wondering if there's set of minimum tests which doctor is supposed to run.

Currently, doctor ordered something as preventive and it's not being covered by the insurance.

My Dr ordered a colonoscopy for me when I was 48. He also owned the colonoscopy center. Insurance said nay nay because I was too young and didn't have known disease.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
My Dr ordered a colonoscopy for me when I was 48. He also owned the colonoscopy center. Insurance said nay nay because I was too young and didn't have known disease.

Did you have to eat the cost then?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: Leo99

Did you have to eat the cost then?

I didn't get it done. If I did, I would have had to pay for it out of pocket or negotiate a discount with the center before the procedure.

No, it's based on risk.

One's risk for colon cancer is much lower at 20 than 50, so you don't get periodic colonoscopies at 20.

When you fill out your medical history, that helps drive the train. If your parents and grandparents generation had type 2 diabetes when they got older, your doctor should be watching for signs that you are developing diabetes. Cancer, heart disease, etc, same thing.

There are age and medical history details that help drive the train here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back