How would you use your gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
A person breaking into your house gives you the presumption of imminent physical harm. Not so elsewhere on your property.

I agree. Would that same presumption not also be present if you saw someone breaking into your neighbors house and you knew or thought they were home or say their kids were there after getting off the school bus?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
First of all, the person considering all of this needs to be knowledgeable of the state and local laws about this where they live. Laws are different all over the U.S.
In general, however, if you use a firearm, OTHER than when yours or someone else's life is is in imminent danger, you're asking for trouble.
Think about what is going to happen when 5 videos post showing you shooting someone, no matter the circumstances. If you are not shown to be absolutely in the right, you're probably going to jail.

You don't necessarily have to "SHOOT" said rapist, burglar, thief, etc. Just pulling your gun might put the fear of God into them! But, before I leap into action, I will darn well know what I'm getting into before I make a life or death situation!
But then you might say,"Well, there's not enough time to analyze the situation!" Believe me, there is! Been there, done that.

Pull your gun on someone who is not threatening to kill you (or an innocent).

They shoot you.

Or they call 911, and the cops come and shoot you.

You go to jail.

Because YOU committed the assault with a deadly weapon. YOU were the one who initiated the conflict.

YOU are the felon. YOU assaulted them. They had a reasonable fear of bodily injury or death from YOU because YOU pulled a gun on them.

They simply defended themselves. Doesn't matter what they were doing at the time, doesn't matter what you thought you saw. You committed an assault with a deadly weapon and you are the criminal.

Talk to an attorney.

Please.

You're wrong on this and will end up in jail for pulling your gun when you have no reason to do so.

Last edited:
Very good discussion guys!

I am glad CPL classes stress not being a cowboy or vigilanty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
A person breaking into your house gives you the presumption of imminent physical harm. Not so elsewhere on your property.

Tom, there are some local laws in the U.S. that don't even give you that presumption. If you are living particularly in the Northeast, but anywhere, it really would be a good thing to look at state, county, and city/town laws on the subject. Also most state CCW or firearms organizations have pertinent education on their websites.
Another thing to look at is civil. In CO, if you fall under the "Castle" doctrine, you can not be sued in civil court.

Ultimately, you don't ever want to have to draw or use your weapon. The best thing to do would be not place yourself in that position. But if it happens, you best have your ducks in a row, and be informed about the law and process. This isn't 1952 (0r 2002) anymore, by a long shot.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Like Massad F. Ayoob says -

Only in the gravest extreme would I use my weapon to protect myself, loved ones, or friends with me under my immediate protection.

Anybody unclear about when the can or should pull a trigger should buy and read his book- In the gravest extreme.

UD

Great book. First read it over 30 years ago. Just as relevant today as it was then. I've given out copies to friends who are considering owning (or carrying) a firearm.

Mas' point: You should only use lethal force to stop a threat that is either lethal, or promises grave bodily harm. In the gravest extreme.

Property protection is unjustifiable for the use of lethal force.

Yup. I have given away a few as well. Heres my 30 yer old copy and I took a snapshot of some of the chapters just so people can get an idea.

No matter how right or justified you think you are - there is always some lawyer that can and will turn the whole thing back on you in a heartbeat.

Some of the stuff Ive read here is laughable and would land these guys in prison in a heartbeat.

Ive only ever needed to open carry once in my life and that was during the Rodney King riots when my building was looted and burned to the ground by an angry mob.
Myself and staff were threatened with knives, guns, clubs, and firebombs to which my building succumbed but I got everyone out to their vehicle and home safe without firing a shot. You never want to be in a position of negotiating with a guy with a molotoff cocktail in his hand but I held them off long enough to get away.

UD

Originally Posted By: ZZman
If you own or carry do you think you would use your weapon for your and your families protection only, or would you also use it to intervene in a crime being committed?

Whats right is right, and whats wrong is wrong. Live by it, breath by it.

I carry a weapon 365 days a year. Why? Because my life experience tells me that the world is not all puppies and rainbows. Bad things happen to good people. Terrible things. The gun IS the equalizer, that gives victims a chance to fight back, and often, prevail, against unimaginable hostility and terror. I was a cop and I could tell you hundreds of nauseating, horrendous stories of what happens to good people, every day, all across America, that did not have any means to protect themselves. The world is a dangerous place. Its not all cupcakes and rainbows out there.

As to the ops question, my weapon is used to prevent the death, serious injury, or victimization of me and my loved ones. I don't care about property crimes. If someone is stealing something, I could care less. I DO care about persons crimes. If I see someone getting kidnapped, you bet your bottom dollar, I am going to intervene. If I see someone getting stabbed, you bet I'm going to intervene. If I see someone getting raped, you bet I will be there fighting the good fight. Why would I intervene on behalf of others, that are unable to defend themselves? Because I live by the motto above, "Whats right is right, whats wrong is wrong." Plus as a former cop, with a lot of tactical training, skill and ability, I am pretty confident in my abilities, and I sure hope that if my wife was getting victimized, I would hope that someone with some skill and ability would come to her aid, instead of whipping out the cell phones and recording it.

I think you're wrong on this point: pointing it and discharging it are two different things.

They are not.

You're using lethal force, or the threat of lethal force, when you point your gun at someone. If there is no lethal threat to an innocent, you applying lethal force to the situation (by presenting, without firing) makes YOU the criminal who is threatening lethal harm. Once you unholster your weapon, you are bringing lethal force into the situation.

Imagine this scenario: You see a property crime in progress (a person breaking into your neighbor's house, as you suggest). You pull your gun and direct them to stop. They see your gun, a lethal threat to their life. They shoot YOU.

Who goes to jail?

YOU do, because you threatened them with lethal force. You were not justified in doing so. You were the aggressor. You were the first to point a gun. They had every right to a proportional (lethal) response.

You really need to consult a criminal attorney in your state.

I am only aware of one state (TN) that allows lethal force to prevent serious property crime.

But even then, I have a serious ethical issue with shooting someone over property.

Your post are usually spot on, but you missed the mark here. Of course, jurisdictional boundaries, states, and laws all come into play, so I will just make some generalities here.

Like I said earlier, property crimes should be left for the police to handle. As long as their is no imminent thread of injury or death to anyone, property can be replaced with insurance money.

As to your scenario above, where a law abiding neighbor, points a gun at a burglar committing a felony in progress at their neighbors house- the armed neighbor is acting in a law and order capacity. Good vs evil. Basically a citizens arrest. This concept is as old as time, and in most jurisdictions, a citizen can hold a felon, yes, even at gun point, until law enforcement is summonsed to the scene. The presented gun is NOT brandishing in a legal sense. Brandishing and displaying force to arrest are not the same. Displaying a gun in a citizens arrest, shows the bad guy exactly who is in charge. Its exactly the same as a police officer pointing his weapon at a felon. Now, the bad guy can either comply and lay down with his arms out, as requested. Or he could run away, in which case the home owner would not be justified in shooting him in the back. But the burglar sure as heck would not be justified in pulling a gun and shooting at the home owner just because he has a gun pointed at him. Just as he would not be justified at shooting at a police officer.

Exactly - pointing a firearm is a lethal threat. A felony assault.

I don't think you're excused if you commit that felony to stop a felony.

The only legitimate use of lethal force is to stop a lethal threat.

A lethal threat consists of: Ability, opportunity, and intent. All three must be present for the threat to be present. A B&E in progress fails to meet the lethal threat criteria. The ability hasn't been demonstrated. The opportunity didn't exist until YOU SOUGHT OUT THE CONFLICT. The intent is clearly missing.

Because you sought out the conflict, with the ostensible burglar, by presenting your weapon to stop a felony, YOU are the aggressor. You are the one presenting the threat.

You are the felon.

Speechless. Absolutely speechless. Like I said, your post are usually on the money. This one is way off the mark.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If you own or carry do you think you would use your weapon for your and your families protection only, or would you also use it to intervene in a crime being committed?

I carry a weapon 365 days a year. Why? Because my life experience tells me that the world is not all puppies and rainbows. Bad things happen to good people. Terrible things. The gun IS the equalizer, that gives victims a chance to fight back, and often, prevail, against unimaginable hostility and terror. I was a cop and I could tell you hundreds of nauseating, horrendous stories of what happens to good people, every day, all across America, that did not have any means to protect themselves. The world is a dangerous place. Its not all cupcakes and rainbows out there.

As to the ops question, my weapon is used to prevent the death, serious injury, or victimization of me and my loved ones. I don't care about property crimes. If someone is stealing something, I could care less. I DO care about persons crimes. If I see someone getting kidnapped, you bet your bottom dollar, I am going to intervene. If I see someone getting stabbed, you bet I'm going to intervene. If I see someone getting raped, you bet I will be there fighting the good fight. Why would I intervene on behalf of others, that are unable to defend themselves? Because I live by the motto above, "Whats right is right, whats wrong is wrong." Plus as a former cop, with a lot of tactical training, skill and ability, I am pretty confident in my abilities, and I sure hope that if my wife was getting victimized, I would hope that someone with some skill and ability would come to her aid, instead of whipping out the cell phones and recording it.

I don't think many would disagree with this, Bubba. I think what we are trying to get at in the above posts, is that there is a huge difference between property crimes and acts of violence towards a person. And that it is wise to be cognizant of laws.

Need to be quite careful Think of this scenario.

You walk by an ally and see a scruffy, big man pushing a well dressed woman up against a wall. She is screaming that he is trying to kill her and asking for help. You draw your gun and with adrenaline pumping fire to stop this deadly attack. What you didn't see or hear is the scruffy, big man identify himself to the well dressed woman as an undercover police officer. He had recognized her as a felon wanted for murder and was taking her into custody. She was resisting and screaming when you walked by.

I carry only to protect myself and my loved ones from deadly or potentially deadly force.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry

You walk by an ally and see a scruffy, big man pushing a well dressed woman up against a wall. She is screaming that he is trying to kill her and asking for help. You draw your gun and with adrenaline pumping fire to stop this deadly attack. What you didn't see or hear is the scruffy, big man identify himself to the well dressed woman as an undercover police officer. He had recognized her as a felon wanted for murder and was taking her into custody. She was resisting and screaming when you walked by.

I carry only to protect myself and my loved ones from deadly or potentially deadly force.

Fantastic point, Steve.

This ^^^^ right here is what I would/want to say if I were not missing a few brain cells from being in the military. I too have had prior training and am too held up to the same standards as what BT has stated here! I'm sorry that I can't always type what I am trying to think, but when someone else does, I recognize it and try to correlate what they are saying.
Here in La. we have the open carry law. It in itself would be kind of intimidating, or you would think! But, there is always someone that is willing to test one that open carries. I don't open carry, but have. I DO CCW when I leave my house, no matter if I'm going to my mailbox, or having to be in my truck running the roads. I just wish that my mind and what I type could meet in the middle. But, I think y'all know what I mean.

Open carry of firearms in Louisiana is permitted without a permit, as long as the user is of at least 17 years of age and legally able to possess a firearm under state and federal law. Louisiana has state preemption of firearms laws, except for local laws passed before July 15, 1985.

I think you're wrong on this point: pointing it and discharging it are two different things.

They are not.

You're using lethal force, or the threat of lethal force, when you point your gun at someone. If there is no lethal threat to an innocent, you applying lethal force to the situation (by presenting, without firing) makes YOU the criminal who is threatening lethal harm. Once you unholster your weapon, you are bringing lethal force into the situation.

Imagine this scenario: You see a property crime in progress (a person breaking into your neighbor's house, as you suggest). You pull your gun and direct them to stop. They see your gun, a lethal threat to their life. They shoot YOU.

Who goes to jail?

YOU do, because you threatened them with lethal force. You were not justified in doing so. You were the aggressor. You were the first to point a gun. They had every right to a proportional (lethal) response.

You really need to consult a criminal attorney in your state.

I am only aware of one state (TN) that allows lethal force to prevent serious property crime.

But even then, I have a serious ethical issue with shooting someone over property.

Your post are usually spot on, but you missed the mark here. Of course, jurisdictional boundaries, states, and laws all come into play, so I will just make some generalities here.

Like I said earlier, property crimes should be left for the police to handle. As long as their is no imminent thread of injury or death to anyone, property can be replaced with insurance money.

As to your scenario above, where a law abiding neighbor, points a gun at a burglar committing a felony in progress at their neighbors house- the armed neighbor is acting in a law and order capacity. Good vs evil. Basically a citizens arrest. This concept is as old as time, and in most jurisdictions, a citizen can hold a felon, yes, even at gun point, until law enforcement is summonsed to the scene. The presented gun is NOT brandishing in a legal sense. Brandishing and displaying force to arrest are not the same. Displaying a gun in a citizens arrest, shows the bad guy exactly who is in charge. Its exactly the same as a police officer pointing his weapon at a felon. Now, the bad guy can either comply and lay down with his arms out, as requested. Or he could run away, in which case the home owner would not be justified in shooting him in the back. But the burglar sure as heck would not be justified in pulling a gun and shooting at the home owner just because he has a gun pointed at him. Just as he would not be justified at shooting at a police officer.

Exactly - pointing a firearm is a lethal threat. A felony assault.

I don't think you're excused if you commit that felony to stop a felony.

The only legitimate use of lethal force is to stop a lethal threat.

A lethal threat consists of: Ability, opportunity, and intent. All three must be present for the threat to be present. A B&E in progress fails to meet the lethal threat criteria. The ability hasn't been demonstrated. The opportunity didn't exist until YOU SOUGHT OUT THE CONFLICT. The intent is clearly missing.

Because you sought out the conflict, with the ostensible burglar, by presenting your weapon to stop a felony, YOU are the aggressor. You are the one presenting the threat.

You are the felon.

Speechless. Absolutely speechless. Like I said, your post are usually on the money. This one is way off the mark.

I'll defer to your LE experience Bubbatime...but I have to say that this discussion came up in my Federal deputization class...which lasted over a week...and spent a lot of time on the legal aspects of lethal force. I was deputized with very limited jurisdiction (more on that via PM, if you like), so any time I had my weapon with me, I was, for all intents and purposes, carrying as a private citizen.

I'm not saying that you'll go to jail every time you pull a gun on a person burgling your neighbor's house, or stealing from someone, but I am saying that the court (and the cops) may very well ID you as the bad guy.

The only moral and legal reason to apply lethal force is to stop the imminent threat of bodily harm or death.

In my quoted discussion, I am responding to the poster who intends to use a gun to stop a property crime. You just agreed that you wouldn't pull your gun to stop a property crime...so, while you're disagreeing with my post, you're also agreeing with my point: don't pull a gun to stop a property crime.

You only use your firearm to end a lethal threat.

Period.

And, on that point, I think we agree...

Does that help clarify my post?

Or do you still think I am way off base?

Last edited:

Depends on the crime. Most states say it's legal for someone to use deadly force to prevent a felony crime or protect anyone's life.

For instance, if I was in the middle of a mass shooting and was armed I'd probably try to take the shooter out if I had a very good opportunity to do so.

I agree 100% ... great post.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry

Situations need to be carefully analyzed if possible before acting. If you showed up and told the guy to stop, and the guy roughing up the woman all of a sudden pulled a weapon with signs of aggression towards you, then you know how to react at that point. Not making snap decisions is part of the whole situation and can keep you out of trouble.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Open carry of firearms in Louisiana is permitted without a permit, as long as the user is of at least 17 years of age and legally able to possess a firearm under state and federal law. Louisiana has state preemption of firearms laws, except for local laws passed before July 15, 1985.

A 17 year old can legally buy and posses handguns in Louisiana?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back