14 F150 fx4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m needing some new shoes, I’m stuck between the Michelin Defender LTX or New pirelli atr+. I’m not sure if I street tire will look fine on it or not. I don’t really go off road.

I had the prior LTX MS2's, seemed ok on road & in wet, but not so good on grass and awful in snow. I was unimpressed with them at the end (price, performance, dry cracking). But they were good on pavement, will give them that.

What miles per year? Wondering if Firestone Destination LE's would work. Basically, will you wear them out or age them out? That can help with selection.

The Michelin LTX style tire has always been my favorite highway Light truck/SUV tire.

But there's many cases out there in recent years where Michelin has seen problems with them dry-rotting and basically falling apart and Michelin telling the consumer "tough squat". Michelin used to back their products up. Seems it's no longer the case.

I highly suggest Toyo Open Country HT if you don't want an AT type tire.

Have had LTX on several vehicles, ran one set all the way up to 90,000 miles. They were good in all conditions.

Last edited:
My last set of tires on my Dodge were Michelins. Expensive but thought they were worth it. Wrong.
Nice highway tire but wore out in 50,000. No alignment issues, just plum wore out.
I bought Nankangs off Walmart, Load E tires for less than $600 installed on my Dodge 3/4 ton. I love them. I drove to Pennsylvania on them and Georgia and they look agressive , ride nicer and get better off road traction. I bought the because they were cheap but I love them and will want them again even for the same price as a top brand.

I would look into a mild AT, I've had 4 sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers (going on 5!) and find them to be a civilized road tire, and great in snow. Same for the Hankook Dynapro ATM. Another choice would be the Cooper Discoverer AT3, I don't have any first hand experience with them, but they're very popular on SUVs and trucks here, I know 99% of them never go off road.

If you're sure that you don't want an AT, I've heard good stuff about Firestone Destination LEs. One tire I won't recommend in the Cooper Discoverer HT. I have them on my XJ and you almost have to use 4WD in the rain. I also had Michelin Cross Terrains before on two vehicles and they were the same way. Plus they cracked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Another choice would be the Cooper Discoverer AT3, I don't have any first hand experience with them, but they're very popular on SUVs and trucks here, I know 99% of them never go off road.

I've got the Coopers on my F150 (about 5k miles) and they are good in the dry, rain, and snow. Not really offroaded with them but I hear they are good there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back