Cutting Cast Iron Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my property there are several miles of abandoned natural gas pipe left over from the 50s and 60s. it is all unaccessable to electric and hauling cutting torches is not feasible. I want to cut it and make a fence for another part of my property.

I have come up with a few solutions.
1)Pipe Snapper- expensive, manual operation.
2)Cordless Sawzall- i probably wont get much done.
3)Cordless grinder with cutoff wheel..same as sawzall.
4)Small portable torches..bottles wont last long.

5) 2 stroke Concrete Saw with cutoff wheel.

Number 5 wasnt on my radar but i asked around and a few guys have done it.

I am trying to stay below $500 on this budget.. as of right now I found a couple of concrete saws that I can get for $400 to $500. I do also think that after the project i can sell the concrete saw for about $50 less than i paid for it..

Number 1 seems to be the safest bet but i would have to order it i think, and i doubt many people would buy it after i was done.

All in all I expect to make 300 or more cuts that would give me enough for my project.

What say you?

I've cut 1 1/2 cast iron steam heat pipes with a Sawzall. What diameter pipe? Is there a risk of a grass fire? Can you chop it into manageable lengths and haul it to where you cut it up efficiently?

If it’s gas pipe, it’s probably not cast iron. If it’s rally cast iron, scissor snaps would be the quickest. But it’s probably steel, in which case the big cut-off saw would be prett hard to beat.

I agree with Stelth. It's probably mot cast iron. Cast iron is easy to cut.

Consider hauling a generator to the site. Then you can use just about any power tool.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Consider hauling a generator to the site. Then you can use just about any power tool.

Dang that is a good idea.. i never thought of that because i have one of those wheelbarrow size champions but my buddy has one of the small ones about the same weight as the concrete saw. Not sure how cool he would be with me borrowing it and the cost to get the same as his, is about $500..but great idea.

Since it’s from the 50’s and 60’s, it could be cast iron or what was called black iron then. That would be brittle so a cutting saw is better. Snips will fracture rather than cut cleanly if they even cut at all. Hopefully the pipe is in good condition. Any rust through will make for a short life as fencing.

Yes i would say its old black iron. I have two bridges made from it and my neighbor has one as well..i think a grinder with cutoff wheel which i already have..mated to an inverter generator which i kinda want anyways would be a good way to go about it.

3" pipe. Theres probably a few miles of it.

I have power outages where i live all the time so a small inverter generator will be used eventually..

I found a guy selling a husqvarna knockoff concrete saw for $200. He also has a Stihl for $400.

So i can either buy the stihl and resell when im done..or get an inverter and keep it.

On the cordless route those would lose alot of value if i bought new and sold afterward.

I dont need any of these tools other than the job at hand..except the inverter gen.

The stihl concrete saw weighs 23lb the small inverter generator weighs 50lb.

Most of the pipe is across creeks and small streams so i will cut into 5 ft sections and haul by hand to access roads.

Worst case scenario the recycling center is paying $12/100lb so if i dont like it theres money to be made.

I had to cut a cast iron vent pipe once when I was renovating a house. First cut was with a sawzall. That was insane. Second time, I borrowed a pipe snapper. Worked awesome. in and out.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Several miles you have a hug piece of Property.

190 acres plus or minus. The access road to my house is 1/4 mile and the pipe goes up that road then up into the hills to 8 abandoned gas wells scattered thru the property.. the gas line is all over the place. I think its enough to fence in my yard and look cool..plus build a gate. Will see.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
If it’s gas pipe, it’s probably not cast iron. If it’s rally cast iron, scissor snaps would be the quickest. But it’s probably steel, in which case the big cut-off saw would be prett hard to beat.

That is what I was thinking . I used to cut black pipe for air lines & gas pipe with something like this ;

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-8-in-to-2-...32820/100001470

Not to be a doomer, BUUUT, is there any chance of residual gas fumes inside the pipe? A spark from a cutting wheel might give you quite a fireworks display :) If using an angle grinder and metal cutoff wheel, I would wear safety glasses and soft goggles over top.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Since it’s from the 50’s and 60’s, it could be cast iron or what was called black iron then.

Black Iron pipe is not the same as cast iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back