Why I hate having my car serviced by others

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad that I'm now retired and no longer have to deal with inferior replacement parts. I agree with Trav, I learned many years ago how to rebuild carburetors, fuel pumps, distributors, master cylinders etc. Those skills are sometimes necessary to ensure that the job gets done right the first time and you don't end up having an irate customer yelling at you because the repair they paid big money for has failed in short order.

Knowing how components work really helps when installing them. I take apart components I replace to study exactly what is going on inside. Just a couple of days ago I opened up a Bendix HydroMax electric brake booster pump to see how it worked and it was my first hands on experience with a gerotor pump and I got to learn exactly how it worked.

My sister had the timing belt replaced in the Subaru I gave her and it ran like absolute garbage. The guy told her the timing needed time to adjust before it would run OK, and to come back after driving it for a while. Another mechanic found the belt off by two teeth. Ran great until she abused it to death.

I have a good mechanic who quotes you price on labor,then asks if you are bringing the parts or will he have to get them.On items like brakes I let him get them.Stuff like o2 sensors and tune up items are Rockauto'd.I had the misfortune of dealing with a garage once that posted different prices on their labor rates according to whether or not you furnished parts or wanted parts from some one other than their supplier.They did an adequate job replacing a timing belt and water pump on a 4 cyl Tracker but they charged too much.Unfortunately they were the only place in town that would do a timing belt.I caught them in some lies but had to have the work done so they got the job.Have not dealt with them since.

I supply the parts or I don't do the job (there are a few exceptions), its that simple. Every other way is setting me up for a fall, its like throwing swords all over the place for me to fall on for your benefit if anything goes wrong.
Customer provided parts takes any recourse I may lave for labor claims away forcing me to charge you labor again for defective parts I may or not have used in the first place but you also you also took that decision away from me.

So now your broken car is on the lift with a bad part you (the customer) provided and you expect it to stay there until you go through the warranty and shipping process with Rock Auto. I just got put in all sorts of bad scenarios and I let you do it so you can save money.
Bring a $5000 exhaust system in for an Aston Martin and we can have a conversation. For that I am thankful for you bringing it.

last year; an Acura dealer in northern region of Toronto ask me to have the CV boot replace during a warranty work, but I knew the CV boot was damaged by them because of sign of melt/burn damaged. the service advisor, and manager refuse to admit, and they would not answer my call or respond. I do not go to that dealership for services because of bad review, but gee, I did not expect they would go as low as sabotage a good working system. I tried my best to service my cars, I also find going to dealership time consuming. our Acuras run great, but the dealer services leave a lot of bad tasting. and yes, only criminal does that sort of things...

I don't like someone working on my cars if I can't see them working.

However, I'm only able to do pretty basic stuff, so sometimes I have to pay someone else to fix them. My mechanic is a younger guy from my hometown that I have known since elementary school as he was in the same classroom as my brother and sometimes came to our home to play with him. He took over his grandfather's garage when he retired. He's careful, honest and doesn't mind me being around while he works.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I am thankful I learned this business long ago when we rebuilt almost everything inc fuel pumps, carbs, relined brake shoes, turned drums and rotors. Those skill taught me a lot not only how to rebuilt them but how they worked, I rely a lot on them today.
Do this work long enough and you learn from experience what to avoid and where to get quality stuff and quality rebuild parts if they are even available.
Holds true for many things. Even those of us who DIY. Growing up I was regularly taking things apart, and reading owners manuals. Quite surprised getting teased for this by some guys, especially an uncle & his only son. I was just curious to learn and wanting to prove I was responsible. (It was all the worse because both parents died by the time I was 18).

I kept at it: tinkering, wrenching, repairing, evaluating, checking, etc. He's long dead but his wife complains about paying an electrician $400 to come take a look at an old breaker box. And at the shoddy trim work done in her own home...and the shoddy paint job, and on & on. "You sure are lucky you can fix all of that your own." Yep, I am. She doesn't mention how it was learned under duress while I lived with them. Her only son is inept and imcompetitent to boot.

Funny how the way life turns out over time!

With regards to cars, it's no longer funny to tease me about driving not only one but two Swedish cars. It's all I've owned since 1985 and there's only two of them. The first (SAAB) I drove for 14yrs and the sled I've now had for 20. I've managed to fix everything except a recent rack replacement. It actually had a lifetime warranty. Besides, I don't own a lift.

Yeah...they don't find that funny at all....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back