Redline Break-in Additive on rebuild engine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm currently about to break-in my freshly rebuild engine. I just search through internet and found a Redline Break-in Additive (https://www.redlineoil.com/engine-oil-break-in-additive). I tried search info on it and don't really get a clear answer should I use it or not. Some people say yes and some say no.

I have two engine first one is 2AZ-FE camry's engine, partial rebuild. new piston+ring,rod,bearing but old camshaft. And another engine is RB26 with similar to previous one, except upgraded camshaft (High profile+lift), valve+spring.

Should I use this additive in my engine? Will I get any real benefit from it? I would like to break-in it properly because both of them will be boosted engine.

Thanks
smile.gif

Engines break in no matter what you do. What does the cam manufacture recommend for its cams?. Run the Redline in both engines with the highest quality oil you can get.

The best break-in additive is GM EOS. But it is not easy to find. Redline's is next best. Both are a known product and used by engine builders.

But equally important is the oil they go into. Breaking in new rings is usually best done on conventional oil. I know from first hand experience that either additive will work well in Chevron Supreme 10W-30. I have no evidence of additive clash. Have used EOS and Supreme to break in maybe 20 engines over that many years. Can't speak to other oils with either additive.

OTOH, your engine likely does not need the additive. They are not traditional flat tappet V8's. They will likely live just fine with any good oil
smile.gif

Use Motul Break in Oil 10w40 if you can find it in your area. If not, Redline Break in additive is fine.

Last edited:
Or you can use any of the Break In oils such as:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/racing/break-in-oil-(sae-30)/

if you do use the Redline, don't overdose the MO since your MPO already has ZDDP in it..

Last edited:
Thanks to all you guy, I haven't online for awhile but just already try call to Redline. They said for modern engine isn't necessary but it's still give a extra protection if add to the oil while breaking-in. My both engine just finish then I will try this additive.

Thanks again
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back