Favorite Big Block of all time??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine would be the 426 Hemis of the 60s. I also have a friend that has a 413 Max Wedge in an old 62 Dodge Ram Charger that is no joke. He takes it out to the Maple Grove Raceway on Mopar weekend during the summer. Not to drag -- just to put in the car show. Its black & Bad to the Bone!!!
wink.gif

Dale

Last edited:
406 Ford tri-power. Real ones had cross bolted mains and were serious engines, back in the day. Dealer added-on tri-power was more cosmetic than race ready.

Also a big fan of 421 Super Duty Pontiac's
laugh.gif

Last edited:
The big block Chevrolet. Simple and the parts are usuall lower cost.as far as hotrodding. I am not sure if it is the best though. At work we had Ford 460s in the service vans and they ran and ran and didn't burn oil.

My dream car is the 1974 Pontiac Trans Am 455 super duty. I would probably wake that engine up and it would be my favorite.

It seems to me that Chrysler's factory big blocks of the '60s were very durable - they could take a lot of abuse and neglect, and just keep going. My dad had a couple of 383s and a 440 in full-size Chryslers and they were amazingly tough.

I was quite fascinated by the old 413 with the two 4-bbl carbs and the interleaving intake manifolds - the carbs were opposite the banks they fed to allow for long runners, which gave ram-effect supercharging @ 2800 RPM.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Does a 392 Hemi count?

I don't think so. Not as big as a B block, which is normally considered to be the Chrysler big block.

Last edited:
I think the Chrysler 426 Hemi is the most historically significant big block.
Anybody that looks at one knows it's wicked.
After it was introduced, GM and Ford had to scramble to get non-wedge big blocks into production. GM produced the canted valve BBC, and Ford produced the 427 SOHC, then the Boss 429. Richard Petty's dominant 1967 season made the Hemi a legend. And no other engine could match the Hemi in Top Fuel drag racing.

The Chevy Mark IV big block.

There never has been a more attainable, mod-able, modular source of motive power.

Parts are easy to get and you can go from mild to wild with a top end/ cam combo swap.

UD

Originally Posted By: Number_35
It seems to me that Chrysler's factory big blocks of the '60s were very durable - they could take a lot of abuse and neglect, and just keep going. My dad had a couple of 383s and a 440 in full-size Chryslers and they were amazingly tough.

I was quite fascinated by the old 413 with the two 4-bbl carbs and the interleaving intake manifolds - the carbs were opposite the banks they fed to allow for long runners, which gave ram-effect supercharging @ 2800 RPM.
Heh heh, My brother had a 300G with the ram inducted Carter (?) AFBs .Guy he bought it from bought a '66 Belvedere street hemi. He wrecked it and made it into an A fuel dragster

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Ford BOSS 429 or 427 Cammer, I guess I have two, LOL

Same, I would love to get the Kaase Boss 9 top engine package.

Originally Posted By: emmett442
Just so you all know, the 426 is the only "correct" answer for this topic.

That said, the 426 is my favorite.

laugh.gif

Boss 9 heads are much better than street Hemi heads.
They flow more and have a more efficient chamber.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Also, the engine in the new 2018 Dodge Demon!!!

It's a small block

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Ford BOSS 429 or 427 Cammer, I guess I have two, LOL

Same, I would love to get the Kaase Boss 9 top engine package.

20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back