Rethinking gun control/types of purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.
After this last shooting in Florida,,how much is enough and how do we control nut cases...The FBI knew something on the shooter and it appears someone dropped the ball to reel this guy in...

How about just selling single shot rifles and plain jane 6 shooter pistols in the future...I do not have the answer yet...

These shootings seem scritped !!! Ban guns then we can use the P/C method of murdering the masses properly and that is with motor vehicles and planes. [sarcasm and the P/C truth]

The guns aren't the issue, the issue is hateful people having them and using them to kill people.

How do you prevent hateful persons from accessing guns?

Maybe improve the atmosphere of hate, hopelessness and disdain.

I don't think I've heard of the min age (of 21) being mentioned as a possibility in years past. That might have some premise, seeing how alcohol is treated that way. Wouldn't have deterred Sandy Hook nor Vegas though.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
After this last shooting in Florida,,how much is enough and how do we control nut cases...The FBI knew something on the shooter and it appears someone dropped the ball to reel this guy in...

How about just selling single shot rifles and plain jane 6 shooter pistols in the future...I do not have the answer yet...

How about this: keeping guns out of the hands of criminals in the first place? Only 3 percent of criminals obtain their guns legally.

I've got an idea: let's make buying a gun for someone, that shouldn't have a gun, known as a "straw purchase" a serious felony, punishable by a 10 year MANDATORY prison sentence, and a $250,000 fine. Real penalties. Serious consequences.

THAT would keep the guns from getting to criminals, wouldn't it?

Oh, wait, that law has been on the books for decades...but it isn't enforced...despite hundreds of thousands of "straw purchases" since then.

The Columbine shooters weren't legal to own guns...and the person who bought them their guns plea bargained down to suspended sentence.

Originally Posted By: supton
I don't think I've heard of the min age (of 21) being mentioned as a possibility in years past. That might have some premise, seeing how alcohol is treated that way. Wouldn't have deterred Sandy Hook nor Vegas though.

+1

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
The guns aren't the issue, the issue is hateful people having them and using them to kill people.

I have to agree with you on this.

Why is it that after a teen suicide, committed by a mentally ill young person, we examine all the aspects of their social situation, their family, school and their mental health, to look for ways to prevent that tragedy from happening again?

But after a school shooting, committed by a mentally ill young person, we skip all that and say, "it's the guns!!"

When both tragedies (and they are both tragic events) have the same root cause?

So back in the day, Cali had State Hospitals for mentally challenged individuals. Gov Reagan did away with them in the name of budget cutting.

Now we have oblique evidence that the nut cases are running around on the street with no place for the authorities to house them, until they commit a felony level crime. Something like this may be their first felony ... And a lot of the homeless are just one step away from the same level of desperation and dysfunction ...

So what do we do with folks who are on the edge? I don't believe in big institutions like the old State Hospitals. But we need more community based intervention like half-way houses with actual effective counseling, etc.

It was nice of that family to take him in, but they are not pro's with insight into metal stability. Now we have a slew of dead kids and the perp will be in the prison system where he'll only get negative re-enforcement for his thoughts and delusions ...

I agree with CT8. Look at the Vegas shooting with all the amateur footage clearly contradicting the official narrative. Very disturbing if something more sinister is going on to push a political agenda. Maybe we should reevaluate the FBI (even dropped the ball on 911).

I guess one way would be to x-ray/metal detectors machines at schools one entrance only and all students and faculty have to pass through each day like they use at courthouses and such... its a thought..

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

Those restrictions, by the way, wouldn't have made any difference in any of the shootings.

How about we view the first and fourth amendments the way that you're suggesting we view the second? Since the technology of semi-automatic firearms didn't exist at the time the Bill of Rights was drafted, they're not protected, right? That's what you're saying.

So, let's make society safer by doing away with the first amendment protections on every form of media that didn't exist then. Radical censorship on TV, Radio, Cable news, E-mail, internet blogs, and Social Media. The Founders couldn't have envisioned those forms of communication, so they're not what they had in mind. By some common sense restrictions on all of those rights, we could really make this country more safe.

Further, let's make society safer by doing away with the fourth amendment protections on the search and seizure every form of personal effects that didn't exist then. No restrictions by the authorities on searching your car, internet activity, email, social media, and personal computers and phones. If they could only check those hiding places any time they want, without a warrant, how much safer we would all be! The Founders couldn't have envisioned those forms of personal effects, so they're not what they had in mind. They're not protected. By some common sense restrictions on all of those rights, we could really make this country more safe.

Last edited:
There are something like 300 million guns in the US, if they were as deadly as claimed, no one would be alive.

Focusing on gun sales also neglects any homicide by knife, blunt force object or straight up beaten to death by fists/kicks.

Would you also propose only allowing 1" knives so no one would be stabbed or limit baseball bats to 10"? People should also wear foam gloves so they can beat someone up too.

As stated above, none of this addresses the journey and inputs someone needs to take to view others lives are totally worthless. Taking away one weapon does not change their thinking or intent.

There are ways to get really creative with basic chemistry pressure cooker bombs or cargo trucks running people over.

Last edited:

Keep them off of SSRI inhibitors.

Why is the media not going ballistic , every day about the number of people injured and killed , each day by people under the influence of drugs and / or alcohol ? Why are the talking heads and politicians not burning up the air waves ?

Because , all those folks are not interested in saving life and limb . They have other agendas .

The media / talking heads are interested in selling commercial time and face time .

The less despicable politicians are interested whipping up votes and maybe campaign funding . The truly despicable politicians probably have that agenda , to . But I fear , a hidden agenda of people control !

If you look through history , the average person is in most danger , not from crazies with guns . We / they are most at risk from crazies that constitute governments .

How many did Hitler kill ? I read 6,000,000 Jews and other assorted groups . Stalin , I read anywhere from 10,000,000 to 20,000,000 RUSSIANS !

No telling how many Chairman Mao . Pol Pot is said to have killed 1,000,000 Cambodians out of a total population of 6,000,000 .

A better history student than I could probably go back to Cain and Able .

That is the reason the founding fathers wrote the 2nd amendment into the bill of rights . You can say , it has never happened here , it can never happen here . Maybe that is precisely why it has never happened here ?

Never , never , never give a politician the benefit of the doubt . Or the henchmen working for him . Neither with money , nor with power and certainly not with your rights / life . And the lives and future of your children and grandchildren .

Remember , 99% of politicians , if they were reputable and to be trusted , they would have a job in the " real world " . I do not trust big government , big business or big labor .

Remember , trust is just about the most valuable thing you can give some one or some institution .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Why is the media not going ballistic , every day about the number of people injured and killed , each day by people under the influence of drugs and / or alcohol ? Why are the talking heads and politicians not burning up the air waves ?

Because , all those folks are not interested in saving life and limb . They have other agendas .

The media / talking heads are interested in selling commercial time and face time .

The less despicable politicians are interested whipping up votes and maybe campaign funding . The truly despicable politicians probably have that agenda , to . But I fear , a hidden agenda of people control !

If you look through history , the average person is in most danger , not from crazies with guns . We / they are most at risk from crazies that constitute governments .

How many did Hitler kill ? I read 6,000,000 Jews and other assorted groups . Stalin , I read anywhere from 10,000,000 to 20,000,000 RUSSIANS !

No telling how many Chairman Mao . Pol Pot is said to have killed 1,000,000 Cambodians out of a total population of 6,000,000 .

A better history student than I could probably go back to Cain and Able .

That is the reason the founding fathers wrote the 2nd amendment into the bill of rights . You can say , it has never happened here , it can never happen here . Maybe that is precisely why it has never happened here ?

Never , never , never give a politician the benefit of the doubt . Or the henchmen working for him . Neither with money , nor with power and certainly not with your rights / life . And the lives and future of your children and grandchildren .

Remember , 99% of politicians , if they were reputable and to be trusted , they would have a job in the " real world " . I do not trust big government , big business or big labor .

Remember , trust is just about the most valuable thing you can give some one or some institution .

x2. Thank you.

Spot on WyrTwister. Hope this thread doesn't get deleted. Great hearing from you all.

I don't think any "homeless" people have committed such crimes. Those who have seem to be political, societal, or religious. i.e., mental. Every day, 28 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. But schools need to be protected and that is a local responsibility.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister

While the latter may be true, the former is about schools, a place where people go to learn about the world: presumably a pretty safe place to be.

A shootout between gangbangers down in the ghetto doesn't get that much attention, by contrast.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I have to agree with you on this.

Why is it that after a teen suicide, committed by a mentally ill young person, we examine all the aspects of their social situation, their family, school and their mental health, to look for ways to prevent that tragedy from happening again?

But after a school shooting, committed by a mentally ill young person, we skip all that and say, "it's the guns!!"

When both tragedies (and they are both tragic events) have the same root cause?

hit-the-nail-on-the-head-hitting-the-nail-on-the-head-trying-my-newly-built-program-flickr-hit-the-nail-on-the-head-hitting-the-nail-on-the-head-trying-my-newly-built-program-flickr-style.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back