Expired tags everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's just my area, but I notice what I consider to be a large amount of cars running around on expired tags/plates. Just this morning the car in front of me had temp tags dated: 11/26/16 !!

I guess I could try to report it, but if cops aren't seeing this on the road and enforcing it, I highly doubt they're going to make a special trip to do so.

Seems like lost revenue to me.

Pretty surprising they made it that far. Seems a bit bold to me--that 16 can't be much larger!

Maybe they only drive during rush hour. It can be pretty easy to blend in.

Here in Pennsylvania -- they no longer have registration stickers starting 2017. You pay the registration fees & they send you your registration card for the glove box.

Connecticut hasn't had a registration date on the plates for years. A temp plate would be another issue.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Here in Pennsylvania -- they no longer have registration stickers starting 2017. You pay the registration fees & they send you your registration card for the glove box.

But you still have plates, don't you?
13.gif

Same here - no stickers since 2010.

This seems to be rampant in Missouri, especially inside / around the city limits of Saint Louis, and before I looked at your location or the state I was wondering if this post was from someone in MO/STL.

There are at least two cars parked the street my apartment is on that have still have their temp (and long ago long expired) tags, but I feel like I see expired temp tags everywhere.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
That's pretty normal here in the Cincy 'hood-don't worry, most of them don't have insurance nor a valid license either!

If that's the case, might be a good idea to use theft-proof screws on your license plate.
That way no one will swipe your plate.

To the OP:
1) Go ahead and try "to report" a car with an expired tag. You'll be treated with distain by any police dept.. They'd regard you as a rat.

2) You're not unreasonable with your concern. If they'd catch you or me for expired tags why not the other people? It is galling.

Don't try it here ... all patrol cars have automated plate readers and the officer doesn't even have to do anything ... they are alerted when expired tags are discovered and then they pull the vehicle over, issue the ticket, and arrange for towing to the compound. To get the vehicle out of the compound you will also have to pay for any unpaid parking tickets as well as the tow and compound fees. If you want to actually drive the vehicle out of the compound instead of taking them up on their offer to tow you somewhere to private property (on your dime, of course), you need proof of insurance and registration.

Don't forget you also get to go to court, or sign guilty and pay a moving violation fine. As with all traffic fines, failure to pay results in automatic jail time, and they do go around collecting people from time to time with warrants, or if you are stopped a second time you will go straight to the back of the car and off to jail unless you can pay the fine before the van leaves with the day's prisoners. Usually early afternoon, after the day's court proceedings are settled.

They also have vans that cruise the city streets reading parked vehicle plates, which then get towed to the compound, although you save the moving violation ticket.

In other words, bad idea to drive with expired tags, or park on public streets with them.

There is a grace period for transfers (the same owner can change the vehicle covered under existing registration/insurance but has 48 hours to do so) but not for new purchases or transfers between owners ... all vehicles need to be registered and insured before they can be on public roads.

As a former cop, let me add two cents. When I was training, they dumped me off in the hood. Not just any hood, but the worst hood imaginable. Drive down the street and 10 beer bottles would come flying at the patrol car kind of hood. These "people" don't register their car. They don't insure their car. They don't have valid drivers licenses. In the hood, every car is like that. I'm not kidding, you might find ONE legal car, for every ten cars on the road. You could literally arrest every driver, and impound every car driven. That's a pretty petty way to be a cop, when you have drugs being sold, murders being committed, robberies and rapes on a daily basis. The cops are running around putting out fires as best they can, and an unregistered, uninsured car is really far down the totem pole of importance. Especially when you consider the reason WHY these cars are not registered. Money. They all would prefer to have clean driving licenses, registered and insured cars, but they are broke. And would they rather pay off their drivers license fines at $1200, or use what little money they have to buy food, drugs, alcohol, or diapers?

In British Columbia, the auto insurance is socialized and is run by the Province. If a guy has no tags he might not have insurance. I have uninsured motorist coverage for an $40/year. Gotta have it.

SF

Generally, as a rule of thumb, if you start noticing an increase in expired tags over a period of time, it means your neighborhood is on the decline. That is one of the signs that means it may be time to move.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
As a former cop, let me add two cents. When I was training, they dumped me off in the hood. Not just any hood, but the worst hood imaginable. Drive down the street and 10 beer bottles would come flying at the patrol car kind of hood. These "people" don't register their car. They don't insure their car. They don't have valid drivers licenses. In the hood, every car is like that. I'm not kidding, you might find ONE legal car, for every ten cars on the road. You could literally arrest every driver, and impound every car driven. That's a pretty petty way to be a cop, when you have drugs being sold, murders being committed, robberies and rapes on a daily basis. The cops are running around putting out fires as best they can, and an unregistered, uninsured car is really far down the totem pole of importance. Especially when you consider the reason WHY these cars are not registered. Money. They all would prefer to have clean driving licenses, registered and insured cars, but they are broke. And would they rather pay off their drivers license fines at $1200, or use what little money they have to buy food, drugs, alcohol, or diapers?

When I was working in the Crenshaw area in LA, I would always see cars with one or even two compact spares running around. Even I was surprised one day when I saw one with all four.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Fact is, a good number of them around here shouldn't be driving at all-careening around, causing all kinds of injuries, property damage, and a few deaths. If you can't afford food, or any of the other necessities of life-why not ride the bus? That's why it's there. Not to introduce politics into it, but since the riots of 2001, the city police here could care less about enforcing anything vehicle related unless the media or city council makes a big deal about it, they don't want the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back