Thoughts on low mileage 2003 Mitsubishi Galant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
4500 seems high.

Low miles doesnt matter as much at 15-16 years old all the rubber parts are junk even with low miles.

Also pretty easy to roll back the odometer.

Mitsubishi's are not the greatest sellers on the market but they are pretty solid little cars. I'd take a look at it if it checked out good I'd make an offer on it. But it wouldn't be $4500.

There are only 3 reasons a car is 15 years old with low miles. None of them are goodif you expect a long happy cheap life out of this purchase. Based on personal experience, I’d feel much more comfortable with a car that averaged 10-12k per year vs one that only averaged 3k, no matter the reason for the low mileage. Stuff doesn’t generally last well sitting that much. Best of luck!

I'd personally much rather have that Grand Prix you posted last week (or a comparable one, not even necessarily a supercharged one), even though it did have higher miles.

I'd also take a Taurus over the Galant, even with the low miles on it. Not that it's a bad car, I just prefer the other options...

And just for the record I'm only working with 3 grand cash and anything over will be short term financed if need be. I'm not exactly thrilled with the quality of the $3000 used cars at private party recently

Yeah-I'm sure it only has 25,000 miles on it. Even if it has (which I doubt) you will be chasing bad rubber hoses/belts, bad heater core, bad air conditioning compressor, bad front end bushings, etc.

It's no bargain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Look at this 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS for $4,900: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/726764688/overview/?aff=share_text

That's another one I favorited
Not bad, but beware a lot of dealers will add on extra fees when you go down for paperwork.

2 years ago I looked at a 2011 Sonata for $7,500 at a Kia dealer. When we went to look at the paperwork they tried to add $2,500 for “reconditioning fees” and fees for tinted windows and paint sealant. I walked in with a check to buy the whole car and walked out.

Some of those Sonatas had defective engines, but that one is still under warranty (I think they extended til 140k miles?) can’t remember.

I'm a Mitsu fan. I really liked the Diamante's but there no longer imported. I've had my Mitsu for 24 years now. The new Mitsu PHEV caught my eye. Good hunting!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

$4,500 for a 15 year old Mitsubishi?
crazy.gif

I'd run the numbers on putting your cash down on a new $10k manual Fiesta or something like that. A new car loan interest shouldn't be too much with a 30% down payment.
For me anyways, driving near 60 miles a day, the fuel savings on a new car vs an old one would cover the payments on that loan... Plus you don't have to fix it for 5-6 years.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'd run the numbers on putting your cash down on a new $10k manual Fiesta or something like that. A new car loan interest shouldn't be too much with a 30% down payment.
For me anyways, driving near 60 miles a day, the fuel savings on a new car vs an old one would cover the payments on that loan... Plus you don't have to fix it for 5-6 years.

Need an auto for the wife, and i don't think i can afford a car payment right now but both my cars are getting olddd

Originally Posted By: Pajero
I'm a Mitsu fan. I really liked the Diamante's but there no longer imported. I've had my Mitsu for 24 years now. The new Mitsu PHEV caught my eye. Good hunting!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Me too!! I miss my 3000GT and wish I still had it. I've thought many times about trying to find another one.

My cousin and coworker have that generation of Galant. It was ok but the mileage / age is kind of suspicious. Check car fax to see what is going on first.

Parts wise they do have a lot of them all over the world, maybe not locally in the US junk yard but you can buy ebay used or aftermarket body parts for sure.

Try bargaining hard, it is an almost orphaned brand in the US and the flipper knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back