LL-01 Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
And in the presence of an ignition source BTW, not the auto-ignition temperature. I got reminded of that the last time you brought up flashpoint:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4220375/Re:_Fuchs_Titan_Pro_S_(Ester)_#Post4220375

Originally Posted By: Kaiser
On my side when I use the term "flashpoint" that means the temperature value when the oil begins to boil.
So it's not correct ?

You are so far off base it isn't funny. Tell us how many "FLASHPOINT" tests have you ran in your life. I used to run them for the Airport in Seattle all the time and it doesn't have a thing to do with boiling. It has to do with heating the product and finding the temperature the fumes from that product ignite at.

Last edited:
On my side when I use the term "flashpoint" that means the temperature value when the oil begins to boil.
So it's not correct ?

No, flash point is the temperature at which vapors of the material under test will ignite in the presence of an ignition source. There is both open cup and closed cup tests, both are exactly as they sound with the closed cup tester having a small window that you open up periodically to the ignition flame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
So it's not correct ?

You are so far off base it isn't funny. Tell us how many "FLASHPOINT" tests have you ran in your life. I used to run them for the Airport in Seattle all the time and it doesn't have a thing to do with boiling. It has to do with heating the product and finding the temperature the fumes from that product ignite at.

None,

ok I see

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
So it's not correct ?

No, flash point is the temperature at which vapors of the material under test will ignite in the presence of an ignition source. There is both open cup and closed cup tests, both are exactly as they sound with the closed cup tester having a small window that you open up periodically to the ignition flame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

Ok thanks for these informations, I see now what that means

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
If the oil is A3/B4, 502, A40, LL01, M229.5 approved, you're splitting hairs trying to find a difference.

Pick the bottle shape/color that most appeals to you.

+ 1

The only thing that I don't like with Castrol oils are the flashpoint, they are too low compared to Mobil 1, Shell, Fuchs...

You sure same methodology is used?
Also, get yourself Carly for BMW. Check your oil temperature when you drive hard. You will see that oil temperature is FAR, FAR from flash point of oil.
I drove my BMW with M57 engine as hard as possible on altitude of 3-3.8km, and oil temperature never went above 120c.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
The only thing that I don't like with Castrol oils are the flashpoint, they are too low compared to Mobil 1, Shell, Fuchs...

You sure same methodology is used?
Also, get yourself Carly for BMW. Check your oil temperature when you drive hard. You will see that oil temperature is FAR, FAR from flash point of oil.
I drove my BMW with M57 engine as hard as possible on altitude of 3-3.8km, and oil temperature never went above 120c.

I have a oil temperature gauge on my N55 (and also a numeric gauge) and when I drive hard the car (and on the autobahn at very high speed) the temperature never passes 110°C

I used to buy the BMW stuff but then they raised the price so I put this list together to find some alternatives...all approved LL-01 oils except the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 that's marked as 'recommended'.

Are you sure all of those in your list actually carry Longlife-01 approval, or are a few others also "recommended for"?

I might suggest checking the exact wording again.

Originally Posted By: peterski
I used to buy the BMW stuff but then they raised the price so I put this list together to find some alternatives...all approved LL-01 oils except the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 that's marked as 'recommended'.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Are you sure all of those in your list actually carry Longlife-01 approval, or are a few others also "recommended for"?

I might suggest checking the exact wording again.

If you find any that are on the list but not approved please feel free to reply here.

Just quick replay:
There is only one Redline 5W30 that is approved. No 0W30, 5W40 or 0W40 is approved. Redline is ONLY recommending them.
Pennzoil Euro Pureplus is approved LL-04, NOT LL-01.

Last edited:
Just quick replay:
There is only one Redline 5W30 that is approved. No 0W30, 5W40 or 0W40 is approved. Redline is ONLY recommending them.
Pennzoil Euro Pureplus is approved LL-04, NOT LL-01.

Yeah that's pretty much the ones I saw when I checked although there appears to be a Redline "Professional Series" 5W-40 that does carry Longlife-01. Whatever the composition of that oil happens to be at $9.49 a quart.

Which Redline 5W-30 has actual Longlife-01 approval?

420 degrees on my used Castrol EDGE 0W-40 UOA link

This M1 0W-40 was only at 405 UOA link

Last edited:

Just quick replay:
Pennzoil Euro PurePlus is approved LL-04, NOT LL-01.

I'm not sure if we're getting the information from the same source but to get technical having a look at the Red Line website and their Product Data Sheets all their 'High Performance' line of oils (5w30, 5w40, 0w30, and 0w40) are LL-01 'Suitable' and 'Recommended' which is a sly way of saying that they are not actually 'Approved'.

In regards to the Pennzoils, looking at their Technical Data Sheets all their Platinum Euro Pure Plus oils list LL-01 under the category of 'Approvals and Recommendations' but unfortunately they don't specify which LL-01 falls into...so probably also a sly way of getting around the fact they are not actually 'Approved' oils either.

The question remains which oils are actually 'certified' LL-01 oils...only ones that have the specific wording of 'approved' or are 'suitable' or 'recommended' oils also possibly certified.

Last edited:
In regards to the Pennzoils, looking at their Technical Data Sheets all their Platinum Euro Pure Plus oils list LL-01 under the category of 'Approvals and Recommendations' but unfortunately they don't specify which LL-01 falls into...so probably also a sly way of getting around the fact they are not actually 'Approved' oils either.

They are approved. Sometimes, oil companies combine that list, and some of those categories don't allow formal approval in the first place. Considering Shell is the factory fill, I highly doubt that they aren't making approved lubes.

Just quick replay:
Pennzoil Euro PurePlus is approved LL-04, NOT LL-01.

I'm not sure if we're getting the information from the same source but to get technical having a look at the Red Line website and their Product Data Sheets all their 'High Performance' line of oils (5w30, 5w40, 0w30, and 0w40) are LL-01 'Suitable' and 'Recommended' which is a sly way of saying that they are not actually 'Approved'.

The question remains which oils are actually 'certified' LL-01 oils...only ones that have the specific wording of 'approved' or are 'suitable' or 'recommended' oils also possibly certified.

Recommended and approved are two different things.
That is discussed here numerous times.
So, take Redline as an example. Many people were thinking that they are best thing after sliced bread. Their Euro 5W30 has NOACK 6%, HTHS 3.7, 11.9cst, recommended for LL04 (just making case for my car). Great! Well, recommendation is different then approval. I cannot say to BMW warranty department: hey, Redline is recommending it. They will say: well, then send warranty claim to them.
So, I personally said numerous times here that I would consider buying Redline if they were approved.
So, few months back, Redline actually gets out some oils that are approved. Technical data? Average at best. NOACK of 11%, lower HTHS, etc. So Redline was recommending me oil saying: sure, it is good for BMW. Once they decided to actually meet requirements and get approval, they had reformulate oil.
So, that list that you complied is not accurate. Guy cooking oil in his garage can claim recommendation or meets and exceeds requirements. Approval is completely different thing. Approval means that car manufacturer is standing behind that oil and will honor warranty.

Someone here tried the Original BMW MTwinturbo 0w40 ?
Is it compatible with 3 ways catalytic converter on a N55 ? for me yes (because used on M3, M4, M5 ... and they alls have 3WCC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back