Haas VF-18 and 2018 Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not up to speed yet but the livery looks good to me. I also think I heard somewhere that ESPN is pretty much going to hand over broadcast coverage to Sky. I wish we could keep our guys but, if true, at least it will be better than some weak ESPN drivel. Anybody else have more news?

I think I like the livery. Gene Haas is apparently getting other teams interested in buying tools from Haas Automation. So, that's good news, too.

Of course, I haven't heard what's going on for U.S. commentary coverage. We already get Sky here, and had BBC before that. In any event, you won't be disappointed. Crofty becomes a bit of a fanboy at times, but he's very competent. Martin Brundle is pretty special, in my view. I don't know how the U.S. coverage was, but be prepared for Ferrari to be treated as an also-ran for the entire weekend. To hear Crofty tell it (even Johnny Herbert gets into it at times), the races are always between Mercedes and Red Bull, and it seems to flabbergast them when that's not the case, which is often, given that Red Bull wasn't that much of a consideration. What usually happens on a good Ferrari weekend is that once Vettel gets going in the race, Martin Brundle reminds Crofty what the reality is, that Vettel is considerably far ahead, Red Bull in the barrier (or with a failed engine) isn't a consideration, and Vettel will win the race, and be required to repeat that statement to a confused Crofty, then the coverage carries on. It even started that way in Australia last year.

I’m wondering if ESPN will start ‘seeding the clouds’ with several specials building up to Australia in what, 4 weeks? Also don’t forget the start of MotoGP season the weekend before on beIN.

I watched Sky via the internet last year so I'm somewhat familiar with those guys' ...leanings. Good knowledge, good show except for the overly chatty one working too hard to be endearing. But enjoyable. I'm just glad it's not going to be some anonymous ESPN drone who never shifted a manual transmission. I'm in hope, as always, that it all comes good for Haas. The concern that his pockets aren't deep enough for an extended war are never completely out of my mind.

The "overly chatty" one would be Crofty, I suspect. He's got a pretty good handle on the statistics side of things; he, of course, makes a little too much out of it sometimes, but at least he comes up with things that aren't pulled out of thin air. In fact, in some of the later races of the season, he was joking a bit at his own expense since in one of the earlier GPs, believe it was Montreal, he knocked his can of Diet Coke all over his papers and ruined his prep work.

As for ones who don't know racing, you're not kidding. When Stroll got his podium, the Canadian media, the bandwagon jumpers they are, started fawning, despite the fact that none of them could likely name a single former champion. The embarrassing, clueless things they were saying...oy vey. Some were thinking he gets better equipment, he's the next coming of Michael Schumacher. Others, thinking the equipment is spec, were thinking he made a breakthrough and is on his way to glory immediately.

I think Gene just got a reality dose of what F1 really costs. I would like to see more sponsors on his car, to be certain. A Pennzoil logo would certainly not be out of place on that vehicle, for instance, particularly given the partnership with Ferrari.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back