100K Durability Test - 1964 Comet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Thought this was pretty cool. 100K miles in 40 days of driving at average speed over 100 MPH in virtually stock 1964 Comets. Wonder what oil they were using back then?

Wonder how many cars of today could do the same thing.

Part 1

Part 2

289 K engine. That would be tough on any engine even today but a lot easier than daily driving to 100K over years. They say they maintained them according to the owners manual so I assume that includes the oil.

if course it will do good. it stayed HOT all the time. in the real world it will get lots of cold soak then hot. that puts a lot of water in crank case.

Well, my family's '66 Comet was a far better machine than the mid '70s Comets/Mavericks that sort of replaced it later. We sure didn't have a 289 in that first Comet, though, no question about that...felt like maybe an 89. ;^)
But, I would guess most any car these days could pull this stunt off pretty easily as long as it got the same kind of maintenance.

The advertising jingle....song.....100,000 miles at one hundred miles an hour.....was a constant in Ford ads for a year or more. Still burned into my head.

Need to do a little online research. There were 5 cars in the test, 4 were to run the 100 mph plan, one was to go somewhat faster. It failed to finish...although Ford said that it was an unrelated failure, do not remember what. I noticed the sign board at the end of movie #1 had 5 cars listed by car color, speed and miles...the top one (red) had no times or speeds but the words special event written in.
Anyone got a link on this?

Last edited:
They mentioned one car had a valve spring failure. They fixed it and that car finished.

Considering the oil they used back in the day, and the fuel delivery systems, that isn't bad at all. Fast forward to today, EFI and today's synthetic oils we could probably double that distance.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Considering the oil they used back in the day, and the fuel delivery systems, that isn't bad at all. Fast forward to today, EFI and today's synthetic oils we could probably double that distance.

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back