Bicycle chain lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for posting in the motorcycle forum, however I figured that some here would be likely to have experience.

I ride quite a few miles on my bicycle and I am having trouble getting good life out of the chains. I am using the best Shimano chains I can purchase.

I have tried every bicycle chain lube I can get my hands on. White lightning stays clean, however the chains do not last. My current lube is Dumond Lite, It is an oil and seems to be nothing special for $6.00 per ounce. I even tried TriFlow, however dirt really sticks to the chain and chain life was poor.

The chain shifts better over the cassette when clean and well oiled.

What do you guys think?

Chris

Try shimano moly graphite lube:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...ory=1121&brand=&sku=9540&storetype=&estoreid=

How does you chain break? Chains naturally stretch and there's nothing that lubrication can do about that; you just need to replace them every so often before they wear out the teeth on your gears.

I guess you can try to avoid riding on the smallest chainring; the leverage from the crank on the small chainring can be huge.

Perhaps try getting a more low end chain. By saving every gram possible the high end ones aren't necessarily the most durable. Another problem is that component makers keep adding more gears, and I think the chains are getting more fragiles as we are going from 6/7/8 sp, to 9 sp, and now even 10 speed chains.

Try Pro Link Chain Lube by Pro Gold Manufacturing. Supposedly, it claims to have an MFR, Metal Friction Reducer. I don't have the website, but try doing a search on Pro Gold Manufactuing.

Jeff

what about a non-detergent motor oil? Less road dust will get caught in it, the thinking goes.

You might try AMSOIL Heavy Duty Metal Protector.
Goes on wet, penetrates, dries to a very thin film which won't attract dirt. Motorcycle users have been very pleased with it, and son-in-law likes it on his bike chain.

I always use TriFlow, but Pedro's makes some good lubes.
Definitely don't use gearing combinations that use the smallest chainring with the smallest cog on the cassette, or the largest with the largest: too much diagonal distance and too much stress on the chain.
Wax based lubes are okay, but won't stay on long.

[ November 24, 2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: MarkC ]

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
Goes on wet, penetrates, dries to a very thin film which won't attract dirt. Motorcycle users have been very pleased with it, and son-in-law likes it on his bike chain.

Interesting. I have been happy with heavy motor oil. Yet the idea of a thin dry film does sound neat.

You must stay off the large to large and small to small combinations of chainring to cog.
I used the White Lightning type wax and brok 2 chains in on summer. Of course, I'm mountain biking so there's more dirt.
As was mentioned earlier, maybe you need a more robust chain. Shimano is great, but there are other great ones out there.SRAM is decent.

I have been through so many chains it is not even funny anymore. I tried the cheapies, I tried the average quality and I am having the best life with the top Shimano. There is no question the pins are harder.

I will look into the Amsoil lube. I am thinking about making a chain guard to keep some of the dirt off. Could help.

I wish for the magic bullet of chain lubes.

Chris

Two possibilities:

#227 MOLY ROLLER CHAIN LUBE

-

#190 PENETRO 90
 -

The oil based lubes, especially the thicker ones attract too much dirt and promote wear on the cogs. I have not tried anything with Moly in it, that I know of.

I will make it a point to stay out of the small cogs whenever possible, however here in Florida, there are no hills that keep me out of the small cogs.

Maybe a larger chainring is in order.

I do not belive the stress on the chain to be high, as I am not a powerful cyclist. Maybe is is just the excess miles coupled with dirt that grind away the chain. If that is so, going to larger cogs will accelerate wear as the chain moves a greater distance. Who knows?

I have used the ultrasonic cleaner to get the dirt out of the chain with good results. Even so, the life is short. I believe what I need is a fairly dry chain lube with good lubricating properties.

Mobil 1 0-20 perhaps (just kidding but you never know)

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by Cujet:
WD 40 is usless stuff. I cannot understand why it is still available.

Chris

But it goes so well in your shopping cart with the orange oil filter box.

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:

Been using it on my 2 motorcycles and 6 bicycles with great success. Make sure you put it on about 15-20 minutes before you take off so it will dry to a wax like coating, then your derailer and cogs will stay clean for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back