7.5Wx30 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I need more research & learning ... I also have a 5.7L v8 which specifies 0W-20 and I always wonder about towing in hot summer days with 0W-20 but I think that's because I am used to seeing 5W-30 or 10Wx30 and 10Wx40 and can not wrap my hear around 0Wx20.
The car I was talking about in this post (7.5Wx30) specifies either 5W-20 or 5Wx30 or 10Wx30 but my v8 says ONLY 0Wx20!

I guess the OPer can come up with his own 7.5W30 standard and make sure that his frankenbrew meets it by cherrypicking the numbers!
The bulk of the world seems to go by the SAE multigrade standards, though, and they didn't choose to define a 7.5WXX oil standard for whatever crazy reason.

Originally Posted By: OilUzer

for example mixing Pennzoil platinum full synthetic 5Wx30 with 10Wx30
does it produce PP 7.5Wx30 (based on Pennzoil standards).

It's kind of tricky...

You'll hear guys on here talking about "a Heavy 30" versus a "Light 30"

You have to really look at the viscosity numbers.

YES - a 7.5W-30 does exist - BUT

If it is (and I'm generalizing a lot here) :

7.499 or lower, it GETS LABELED as a 5W-30
7.501 or higher, it GETS LABELED as a 10W-30

See how that works?

So really, The numbers don't lie (but the labels kind of, sort of DO)

Originally Posted By: Linctex

It's kind of tricky...

See how that works?

These are the SAE grade definitions...there just is no 7.5W standard here.
If it meets the 5WXX standard and not the 0WXX standard, it's a 5WXX.
If it meets the 10WXX standard and not the 5WXX, it's a 10WXX.

http://www.viscopedia.com/viscosity-tables/substances/sae-viscosity-grades/

Originally Posted By: Linctex

for example mixing Pennzoil platinum full synthetic 5Wx30 with 10Wx30
does it produce PP 7.5Wx30 (based on Pennzoil standards).

It's kind of tricky...

See how that works?

It is not tricky at all.

The 7.5W rating does not exist in SAE J300. You are just making this far more confusing for the OP than it needs to be, and for what purpose?

The Winter designation is primarily defined by the oil's ability to pass the CCS and MRV tests over a series of incremental maximums at 5C intervals with corresponding progressively lower W ratings. The lowest rating the oil is able to pass both tests for determines its classification.

To produce a 7.5W rating you would first have to get the SAE to agree to it. Which they won't. Then, they would need to split the 5w-xx and 10w-xx designations, which leaves us with half-degrees, which is just asinine.

Oh, 5w-xx has to pass the CCS test at -30C and 10w-xx at -25C? Well the new-fangled 7.5W has to pass it at -27.5 and has a limit of 6,400cP.
5w-xx has to pass the MRV test at -35C and 10w-xx at -30C? Well our fantastic new Winter half-rating has to pass it at -32.5C
crazy2.gif

There is no "missing piece" in the W-rating system that requires some half-increment to add more nuance. Either it passes 5w-xx or it doesn't. If it can pass 10w-xx but not 5w-xx, then it is a 10w-xx, that's all there is to it. Trying to make this more complex than it needs to be serves absolutely no purpose and will confuse other people that will inevitably read this thread.

What the OP is getting at is he wants the cold oil (ambient) viscosity to be between a 10W and a 5W, regardless of the labeling/grade standards.

But as has been mentioned, just run 5W-30 all year round as it will cover a huge range of ambient temperature use. OP, even a 0W oil is magnidudes thicker when cold than a xW-30 is when hot (200 F).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What the OP is getting at is he wants the cold oil (ambient) viscosity to be between a 10W and a 5W, regardless of the labeling/grade standards.

Thats right. I don't know why most people can't understand the OP's intent of an informal label of "7.5w-30". Sure it does not exist in a technical sense, but if ones mind is open it is very easily to get his drift.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

So no, mixing 10W with 5W does not yield 7.5W.

And no, mixing 10W with 0W does not yield 5W.

And no, mixing 5W with 0W does not yield 2.5W.

So if I mix equal volumes of 5w-20 and 5w-40, you don't think this mix would likely be a 5w-30 for all intents and purposes?

Would it turn to "wax"?
smirk.gif

... I am sure 5Wx30 or 10Wx30 is fine but I figured I do the math thing again and came up with 7.5W that way I don't have to buy both weights
You can't "do the math thing" with those designations, because they're just names of arbitrarily defined categories, not measurements of anything. The grades of 10W-, 5W-, and 0W- could just as well instead be designated as suitable for "cold", "colder", and "coldest" conditions. That system would have the disadvantage of being more cumbersome, but the advantage that people might more easily understand that they can't "do math" with words.

Last edited:
OK, look at the MRV of the SAE J300
Code:

0W 60,000Cp @ -40C

5W 60,000Cp @ -35C

10W 60,000Cp @ -30C

What would the OP propose is the new "7.5W designation ?

60,000Cp @ -32.5C, or
40,000Cp @ -30C ???

If the latter, then a Dexos 5W30 is "really" a 2.5W30, as the Dexos limit is 40,000Cp, not 60,000Cp, even though it's really a 5W30.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Thats right. I don't know why most people can't understand the OP's intent of an informal label of "7.5w-30". Sure it does not exist in a technical sense, but if ones mind is open it is very easily to get his drift.

yes you guys understand where I was coming from! was trying to avoid buying 2 different kind of oil (5W-30 & 10W-30). seems like I can use 5W-30 or 10W-30 given the temp range in my area!
I had read that the less gap between numbers the better (due to less VII?) so 10W-30 is better (less VII) than 5W-30 but was worried about 10W if it got too cold and was looking for 7.5W I could be wrong about the gap theory as well! who knows.
remember my user name is OilUzer and not OilAnalyzer. I leave the analysis to you guys! lol

For your temp range in WA, get you some 5w30 and use it in both those vehicles and those motors will operate well

People do understand the OP's intent, that's the issue. What do you want people to say, that it's okay when it is not? Way too much of that nonsense going on here these days, people giving fundamentally incorrect answers that when corrected, result in objections.

Because he misunderstood the fundamentals of how the grading system worked, which I believe has been since rectified.

yes you guys understand where I was coming from! was trying to avoid buying 2 different kind of oil (5W-30 & 10W-30). seems like I can use 5W-30 or 10W-30 given the temp range in my area!
I had read that the less gap between numbers the better (due to less VII?) so 10W-30 is better (less VII) than 5W-30 but was worried about 10W if it got too cold and was looking for 7.5W I could be wrong about the gap theory as well! who knows.
remember my user name is OilUzer and not OilAnalyzer. I leave the analysis to you guys! lol

But you are grossly over-thinking it. You are already using a synthetic oil that will have less VII's in it than a comparable conventional in either grade. So you are already ahead of the game. The 5w-30 is likely already overkill for your application, run it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... I am sure 5Wx30 or 10Wx30 is fine but I figured I do the math thing again and came up with 7.5W that way I don't have to buy both weights
You can't "do the math thing" with those designations, because they're just names of arbitrarily defined categories, not measurements of anything. The grades of 10W-, 5W-, and 0W- could just as well instead be designated as suitable for "cold", "colder", and "coldest" conditions. That system would have the disadvantage of being more cumbersome, but the advantage that people might more easily understand that they can't "do math" with words.

Exactly. The 0W-, 5W-, 10W- could be called A, B, C, for all we care. But SAE chose to use numbers instead. And the moment people see numbers, they think it's OK to just do math on them.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
... But you are grossly over-thinking it ...

my wife reminds me of that rather often! I love to over analyze things if they make it under my radar ... lol
btw, decided to stick with synthetic 5W-30 for this particular car.
Thanks everyone

OilUzer,

Speaking as someone that has actually blended tens of thousands of engine oils in his time, can I say that with a couple of caveats, your basic logic is sound. Notionally, if you make a 50:50 mix of a 5W30 & a 10W30, you will end up with something that could conceptually described as a 7.5W30. SAE J300 is just an administrative guide to codify how oil grades are subdivided. There's nothing wrong with writing your own version of J300 if that floats your boat!

The caveats are that...

...cold-temperature viscocities blend logarithmically (not linearly) & need to be adjusted up or down to a fixed reference temperature.

...most US 10W30 PCMOs might already be described as 7.5W30's by virtue of their CCSs being set way lower than the specs demand (to allow the oil to pass the ILSAC fuel-economy tests).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back