Ford ZF5 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
New here, I searched but got 0 results. 1992 Ford ZF5 specs atf-Mercon. Would a dedicated MTL provide better gear, bearing, and synchro protection than synthetic atf? After reading for hours on this I’ve considered Pennzoil synchromesh, redline MTL, and Amsoil mtf. Suggestions? Thanks

It whines in 1,2,and 3 gears like much older transmissions from the 50-60’s. It shifts fine other than 4 to 3 where I have to shift slow and or double clutch. I’ve got schaeffers 204 atf in it now.

Whining noise is an indication of worn-out gear teeth profile from typically inadequate oil operating viscosity.
For mitigation pick one from post #1 with a higher KV@40*C, you may not be able to reverse whining phenomenon though.

Hello ajbranz, and welcome to the forum.

ATF never was an ideal choice for these transmissions; go directly to the source (ZF), who recommend their Ecofluid M product for the S5-42 (AKA, ZF5). This is 75w-80 MTF.

Red Line MTL is available over on Amazon.

I've towed 6500 pounds through mountains and used OD while doing it (where it could pull OD) with ATF and mine is fine apart from the ears breaking off.

The ZF5 I just picked up had original ATF in it at 300 K judging by the color.

The other thing is, this is the worst cold blooded pickup / light duty transmission ever. They just won't shift when the temperature is super cold. I have to leave it in gear idling with the transfer case in neutral for a few minutes. I can't imagine it would be better on 75w85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back