Fram Ultra Syn filter leaks on new Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the brand of oil I typically use in my vehicles and then a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter based on recommendations from this forum. I usually run Napa Gold or OE but this filter was a good deal and I bought it.

The first change was due but I hurt my back so I decided to take it in to a friend who is an old school Honda master tech at the local dealer to do the change and rotation. A few days later, I noticed that there were several small puddles of oil in our otherwise pristine driveway. The only vehicle that parks there is this Pilot. I took it back and my friend put it up on the lift and said the filter was leaking. At first he was sure it was simply residual mess from the change, given the rail that is so close to the filter, but nope, once he got the truck up in the air, it definitely appeared to be the filter. He put a new Honda filter on, sprayed the [censored] out of the rail and area around the filter with solvent, we checked the level (between the two marks) and he sent me on my way. There are drips coming off the rail bolts and in the driveway again, minutes after parking once I arrived home. There is no way in [censored] that it could be the filter again so I'm just going to wait a week or so and make sure it stops. My guess is that there is a mess of oil and solvent mixed sitting in that rail near the filter.

I will admit Fram was gracious when I called them but I will be very wary about using these filters again.

Originally Posted By: builthatch
He put a new Honda filter on, sprayed the [censored] out of the rail and area around the filter with solvent, we checked the level (between the two marks) and he sent me on my way. There are drips coming off the rail bolts and in the driveway again, minutes after parking once I arrived home. There is no way in [censored] that it could be the filter again so I'm just going to wait a week or so and make sure it stops. My guess is that there is a mess of oil and solvent mixed sitting in that rail near the filter.

Or you have some other oil leak going on. Seems strange you'd still see signs of a leak after all the cleaning and driving back home.

Similar happened to me 10-15 years ago. Turns out a real small pebble got onto the gasket and stuck there while the filter was being screwed on, creating a very small leak until removed and the filter reinstalled. Left an imprint on the gasket, but I never found the pebble. I recall using gun grease to make sure the gasket had a good seal when reinstalled. No leak thereafter.....

agree, it's odd. it's a brand new truck that never issued a drop of oil for the first 7500 miles of its life. all that was done was the filter change, new crush washer installed on drain plug and oil carefully filled.

that is why i don't think it's a leak but still oil mess. we'll see. but it was a bummer to have the filter issue, initially. that definitely wasn't residue, it was leaking from the seam near the gasket.

I would check it myself very carefully while the engine is running. If it’s the filter again I might suspect the old gasket stuck to the mount.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
If it’s the filter again I might suspect the old gasket stuck to the mount.

Is so, find a new mechanic.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would check it myself very carefully while the engine is running. If it’s the filter again I might suspect the old gasket stuck to the mount.

i was under the truck w/ him when it was on the lift and he removed the leaky filter. he had a light shining on the mounting surface when the filter was gone and it looked brand new and oily. there was no gasket there or any indication of damage where the filter sits. i'll definitely be keeping an eye on it and oil levels. annoying!

Swap it out for another one. Either there is material in between mount and filter gasket or you got a dud. These are top notch filters, no reason not to try another. Of course its your decision.

i just jacked the truck up and checked the replacement OE filter that he put on. it's clean. whew. i sprayed the [censored] out of everything under it with Optimum Power Clean (alkaline degreaser), let it dwell for a while and then hosed it out thoroughly.

if my back isn't better before the next change (it better be), i am going to have to fashion some sort of cardboard shield for him to use because i can't believe the positioning of the filter outlet, facing DOWN RIGHT above a rail that is full of holes up top but only a few underneath. it's an oil trap by default.

Last edited:
^^^ Yep, sounds like residual trapped oil. I always use heavy aluminum foil to prevent removed filters from puking on any frame areas.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Originally Posted By: builthatch
I will be very wary about using these filters again.

Nonsense.

Agreed. Ive run Honda size filters on our Odyssey and accord hybrid without any issue. The accord sees around 12k OCIs per the OLM.

Leaking filters regardless of brand are very rarely reported in this forum.

Leaking filter is 99% of the time an improper installation. Perhaps the old gasket stayed on and he added the filter on top of it (double gasket). Of course when they find a problem, they are not going to admit that they caused the problem, they are just going to blame the filter.

Factory filters have a P gasket, if it was the first change it is highly unlikely the gasket was left behind.

I get your reluctance to use them again - when you use something for the first time and it doesn’t work correctly your entire body of experience is negative.

This board uses a lot of these and failures are rare, you might consider giving them another chance.

My bet installer error. It can happen to the best of us, even a master tech. Probably either not being tightened enough or a small bit of junk trapped between the filter gasket and the filter mounting area.

The filter placement on these is just asking for residual oil left behind on the subframe that will continue to leak for days or weeks after an oil change. That's my bet as to what happened. I just serviced a 2016 Pilot a few weeks ago, made a small catch pan to put under the filter to prevent this prior to taking the filter off. No drips. Owner of the vehicle reported that it dripped for two weeks following the previous oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back