Used oil analysis on a sitting oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to get UOA on my previous oil change but have a couple of questions.

I drained the oil and it was sitting in the pan for about an hour. I then collected some in a clean pickle jar from the top of the pan (i.e. did not stir the pan).
The jar has been sitting in the garage for 2 months in a dark place.

Is this a good sample? I am wondering about stuff settling in the pan also after a couple of months in the jar is it possible some things (fuel?) has evaporated???

It should be fine. Was there a cap on the jar?

I take oil samples using old pill bottles but don't always send them in so I have a shelf of just oil samples dating back for each previous 5k oci.

jar has a cap. how about stuff settling in the oil pan sitting for an hour ... is that ok?

Originally Posted By: OilUzer
how about stuff settling in the oil pan sitting for an hour ... is that ok?

Yes, Because they centrifuge all the big stuff out anyway -
those particles are far too big to be vaporized in the plasma
so you'd never get a reading on them anyway.

This question is mentioned on the Blackstone FAQ, and they say you can send it in and it will still be valid. I personally tend to shake them up ahead of time.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: OilUzer
how about stuff settling in the oil pan sitting for an hour ... is that ok?

Yes, Because they centrifuge all the big stuff out anyway -
those particles are far too big to be vaporized in the plasma
so you'd never get a reading on them anyway.

So the sampling is OK. Its the analytical method that's questionable

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Perhaps, but it depends on the sample. When I did this in college we performed the analysis on both the raw and an acid digested sample. That gave an idea if there were any large metal particles in the sample.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Ducked

Perhaps, but it depends on the sample. When I did this in college we performed the analysis on both the raw and an acid digested sample. That gave an idea if there were any large metal particles in the sample.

not sure if I understand what you guys are talking about.
I have never done a UOA. long story short, due to some issues/recall of American made engines (mine is the same engine but made in Korea and not recalled) I have decided to maybe do a UOA and see if there are any excessive metal ... do you think UOA is a good deal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back