So basically MOS2 Liqui Moly done [censored] on the test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know do they?

I mean do I have an engine to break no. So he has been non biased in testing so is he wrong and if so then why?1

Last edited:
So ya wanna do an engine friction test, but choose an engine with very little internal friction to begin with, to see if you can notice obvious changes in RPM and run time on a pint of gas, am I understanding this correctly?

I did really enjoy seeing the slo-mo of the main jet 'skeeting' gasoline up against the throttle plate though
laugh.gif

I think he’s right. I don’t think 58 minutes is long enough, and I don’t think cylinder head temp is a valid indicator of friction between the piston and cylinder. I would like to see a 40+ hour test (2k miles roughly) and oil temps instead. Although, I don’t know that a 5-horse Briggs accurately simulates a car engine. Love Project Farm though!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Doesn't Liqui Moly MOS2 eventually just end up in the oil filter?

No.

I hope not, I have some coming in the mail..

Supposedly not.. Moly click here

Engineers and scientists have tried for years to use Moly in motor oils but they had been unsuccessful because they could not find a way to keep Moly in suspension. Once Moly was put into suspension it would gradually settle out. It was easy to see it come out of suspension because a black sludge would collect on the bottom of the oil containers. In engines it would settle to the bottom of the crankcase or clog oil pathways and filters.

Engineers have overcome these obstacles. They have developed a process that keeps Moly in suspension and isn’t filtered out. Since that time theproduct has undergone extensive independent testing in labs and in the field for many years to insure that the product stands up to the rigorous needs of today’s engines. With the plating action of Moly reducing friction which reduces heat, this helps keep rings free from carbon buildup, prevents blow-by, decreases emission, and extends oil life.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete

I hope not, I have some coming in the mail..

Supposedly not.. Moly click here

Engineers and scientists have tried for years to use Moly in motor oils but they had been unsuccessful because they could not find a way to keep Moly in suspension. Once Moly was put into suspension it would gradually settle out. It was easy to see it come out of suspension because a black sludge would collect on the bottom of the oil containers. In engines it would settle to the bottom of the crankcase or clog oil pathways and filters.

Engineers have overcome these obstacles. They have developed a process that keeps Moly in suspension and isn’t filtered out. Since that time theproduct has undergone extensive independent testing in labs and in the field for many years to insure that the product stands up to the rigorous needs of today’s engines. With the plating action of Moly reducing friction which reduces heat, this helps keep rings free from carbon buildup, prevents blow-by, decreases emission, and extends oil life.

The moly doesn't get filtered out, however MOS2 will fall out of suspension in engines that aren't used everyday. Case in point, Trav had posted MOS2 settled in the bottom of an oil pan in one of his vehicles that wasn't driven on a daily basis, [it sat for weeks sometimes months at a time]. Several other respected members had posted similar observations over the years which is why I stopped using the product. There are better moly choices than MOS2 for moly as part of an ad pack that oil makers use for that very reason.

I recall a discussion I had with Trav about Ceratec falling out of suspension in a compressor he tried it in as well.

It takes a fair amount of running time at operating temperature for MOS2 to plate-out, so adding it to an engine and immediately testing it's effectiveness is not a valid test. In a vehicle, it takes at least 500 miles for it to begin to do it's job.

Originally Posted By: wag123
It takes a fair amount of running time at operating temperature for MOS2 to plate-out, so adding it to an engine and immediately testing it's effectiveness is not a valid test. In a vehicle, it takes at least 500 miles for it to begin to do it's job.

So say I put some moly in just before I'm going to my favorite
Trolling.gif
spot 35 miles away.. Then drive an average of 100 miles a week after that would I be okay? Would the moly settle in my oil pan?

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Originally Posted By: wag123

So say I put some moly in just before I'm going to my favorite
Trolling.gif
spot 35 miles away.. Then drive an average of 100 miles a week after that would I be okay? Would the moly settle in my oil pan?

In a daily driver it shouldn't settle out. If I wanted to boost moly I'd use Lubegard Biotech Engine Protectant. They use a moly that isn't going to fall out of suspension like MOS2 can. Lots of info on the site about it.

Lubegard website says this. (LUBEGARD provides a concentrated package that fulfills these deficiencies (without adding ZDDP, Chlorine, inappropriate sludge building additives like PTFE or solid lubricants such as Teflon®, graphite or molybdenum disulphide)

Originally Posted By: littleant
Lubegard website says this. (LUBEGARD provides a concentrated package that fulfills these deficiencies (without adding ZDDP, Chlorine, inappropriate sludge building additives like PTFE or solid lubricants such as Teflon®, graphite or molybdenum disulphide)

They use moly, not MOS2 which is considered a "solid". Here is a recent VOA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an Moly MOS2 lover but what I think that this test did is jolly some rock off some folks. Maybe it is a useless piece of ancient technology who knows maybe the $6 each fill up is buying us nothing but a false sense of pride. I mean I think this test shows it as so, there is nothing deposited, nothing to prove mpg gain etc. Will I stop using it?! Probably not but I will really rethink using it in my future cars since it's kind of a useless $6 spent...if I have it I will use it if I don't I won't. Too sad I honestly would have hoped that MOS2 wold have beat out the other tests he did like slick 50 and Duralube.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
So ya wanna do an engine friction test, but choose an engine with very little internal friction to begin with, to see if you can notice obvious changes in RPM and run time on a pint of gas, am I understanding this correctly?

Exactly this. A lawn mower engine is a far cry from any kind of modern automotive engine. While I would admit that his test basically shows that MOS2 has little, if any, added benefit if used in a lawn mower engine under no load for an hour, that's really all it shows. Virtually nothing can be extrapolated or inferred in terms of how that would translate to an automotive engine under normal driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
I did really enjoy seeing the slo-mo of the main jet 'skeeting' gasoline up against the throttle plate though
laugh.gif

Agreed. That was the highlight of that video, IMHO.

@5:40-5:45 you can see plating of a MoS2...

MB Actros (hauler) engine can whitstand almost 15minutes of idling only on MoS2 assembly lube...told by one senior mechanic (they forgot to put oil into it)
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back