Pennzoil oil selector / rather odd tiering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very strange...I know that we had discussed before that it was odd that the new Gold 5W30 blend had some "superior" numbers to the PP of the same grade, not that they told us anything about how the oils did at their basic job of lubricating the engine (the Gold had lower CCS and MRV viscosities and a higher flashpoint).
I guess that you could argue that the Gold is not really at a lower pricepoint if one is clever enough to buy in rebate season, as the Gold doesn't seem to have a rebate and was $18.XX at my nearby Walmart while PP is $27.XX and I think you can get a $12 rebate...even if it's $10, you're still a bit ahead with the PP.
Another interesting development is that said WM is apparently not carrying Pennzoil Gold anymore, but QSUD has shown back up at $20.XX...sounds pretty good to me!

If not an error, this tiering very much contributes and possibly validates our previous discussions regarding just how good this new d1G2 Gold really is!

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but they way they have it listed does not mean that they favor gold over platinum.

They are saying that if you want a premium oil, use PUP. If you want a standard oil, use Gold. The Alternative section just lists alternatives to both premium and standard categories.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but they way they have it listed does not mean that they favor gold over platinum.

They are saying that if you want a premium oil, use PUP. If you want a standard oil, use Gold. The Alternative section just lists alternatives to both premium and standard categories.

I would agree if in the past it didn't list it as PUP(prem), PP(stand), PYB(alter). Why would Gold replace Platinum as "Standard"?

I think OP is misinterpreting the recomendations. Premium = Ultra
Standard = Gold
Alternative = PP
They are not listed in order of superiority.

wemay
I’ve looked at this a while back. When I saw it, I was convinced a quality synthetic blend would work well in the NA Hyundai and KIA vehicles.

Originally Posted By: MParr
wemay
I’ve looked at this a while back. When I saw it, I was convinced a quality synthetic blend would work well in the NA Hyundai and KIA vehicles.

I would agree with that MParr.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

+1 That's the way I see it.

I agree with you thinking about this Wemay. This is a strange way to refer to PP. An alternate sounds like it would like saying, "ehhh if you want to run this, it will alright."

It doesn't even recommend the correct viscosity for my 2011 Town and Country.

Wonder where they got their junk information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back