AR-15 vs. M-16 Bolt Carrier Group ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a question for you AR guys. With all other things equal, (Buffer tube, and buffer tube spring), is running an M-16 bolt carrier group easier on the gun than an AR-15 bolt carrier group is? What I mean is, I swapped out the stock AR-15 bolt carrier group from one of my Bushmaster M-4's, and installed a Nickel Boron Coated M-16 bolt carrier group from Aries Armor. The gun runs fine. Both feeds and ejects beautifully. I'm thinking with the added mass of the M-16 BCG, it will be somewhat easier on the gun because it will slow down the cycle time.

Am I right or wrong? I'm asking because I have another BCM, M-16 BCG I'm thinking of putting in my other Bushmaster 20" rifle. I figure since I have the thing, why not use it? I bought it for an "emergency" spare. But I figure I'll run it and keep the original as a spare. I would rather not start switching buffer tubes and springs. Especially since what I've got already in there is working fine. What do you guys think? This is the M-4, and the 20" rifle I want to put the BCM, M-16 BCG in.

That's rifle length gas right? I suppose you added some cyclic mass with the M16 carrier, but your gas system should already be optimized.

On the other hand if you ever buy yourself a pre-86 full auto lower, then you're all set for FA fire. Other than that, it's just minor differences.

Did you use go / no-go chamber gages to be sure clearances with a changed bolt is OK?

I understand the internal anti-bounce weight is different then the semi!

Yes the added mass is a good thing. Basically the same thing as adding an H-buffer. The additional mass slows cycling down, which allows the brass to contract, and puts a little less strain on the extractor and other components.

As to buffer springs, they really only have a life span of about 3000 to 5000 ish rounds before they need replaced. The aftermarket space age springs work good, but I've always just replaced my buffer springs with a $2 G.I style replacement. They are cheap enough to just replace.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

Did you use go / no-go chamber gages to be sure clearances with a changed bolt is OK?

I understand the internal anti-bounce weight is different then the semi!

Headspace on an AR is set with the bolt head and the barrel extension. The bolt carrier has no impact on headspace.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
....The additional mass slows cycling down, which allows the brass to contract.....

Interesting. Was wondering what benefit a heavier BCG could provide. Then I got to wondering if this would apply to steel casings as well? My Rock River AR hates steel cases. They will randomly stick solid in the breach forcing me to ram them out with a cleaning rod (it is flawless with brass cases). Of course, the lacquer or whatever polymer covering on the steel cases contributes to this sticking, I'm sure.

Yes the added mass is a good thing. Basically the same thing as adding an H-buffer. The additional mass slows cycling down, which allows the brass to contract, and puts a little less strain on the extractor and other components.

As to buffer springs, they really only have a life span of about 3000 to 5000 ish rounds before they need replaced. The aftermarket space age springs work good, but I've always just replaced my buffer springs with a $2 G.I style replacement. They are cheap enough to just replace.

Thanks Bubba. That's pretty much the information I've read, and why I went to them. And when it comes time to change out buffer springs, I'll use the G.I. style as well. They work well and have a fairly good service life. And you can't beat the price.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
....The additional mass slows cycling down, which allows the brass to contract.....

Interesting. Was wondering what benefit a heavier BCG could provide. Then I got to wondering if this would apply to steel casings as well? My Rock River AR hates steel cases. They will randomly stick solid in the breach forcing me to ram them out with a cleaning rod (it is flawless with brass cases). Of course, the lacquer or whatever polymer covering on the steel cases contributes to this sticking, I'm sure.

Add a BCM extractor spring upgrade kit and this will cure the problem. BCM states that the o-ring is not needed. I tried without/with. It extracted the steel casing much better with the o-ring.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm-exspring-1.htm

You want the Colt Gold spring for the AR extractor. There was a high dollar spring comparison done and the Colt was the winner. It was found to be the most durable, with the proper spring tension (you can have too much, or too little). Just the spring and black insert by itself, no o-ring needed (or desired)

All of my rifles have these and I can confirm that they are on the money.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bo...y-prod4840.aspx

You want the Colt Gold spring for the AR extractor. There was a high dollar spring comparison done and the Colt was the winner. It was found to be the most durable, with the proper spring tension (you can have too much, or too little). Just the spring and black insert by itself, no o-ring needed (or desired)

BT, what makes this spring better than the BCM spring kit?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

BT, what makes this spring better than the BCM spring kit?

Thank you both for that info. I will look into them. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back