'02 Accord V6 Timing Belt Job ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to do the timing belt for the 2nd time on my J30A1 V6 engine at 240k miles & almost 18 years old. It was previously changed at 140k miles in 2010-May. Two pictures - one of the crankshaft white mark almost aligned (need slightly more clockwise rotation to be perfect) with the pointer & another picture of the rear camshaft pulley mark aligned (very well I think) with the rear upper cover mark. Am I good to proceed with removing the belt (and water pump, etc.)? In other words, which one rules? Is the crankshaft white mark to get you close & then the rear camshaft pulley mark the more precise locator, vice versa, or is something wrong?

Thanks.

The cam mark is not aligned either from the picture, move the crank a hair then look again.

Edit: The black pointer on the cam should fill the V cutout. See it?

Last edited:
Why are you trying to align it with the covers on? Take it apart so you can see.

I never line up a J-series before removing the balancer and covers. Once I can see the ACTUAL mark on the crank and cams is when I remove the belt.

Line the crank mark then remove the 2 upper timing belt covers. There's a line cast into the backside of the timing covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back