Buying parts for your old car from the dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always interesting buying parts for your old car from the dealer.

I broke a plastic nipple off a part while replacing rotted vacuum lines on my Infiniti. The local dealer had the part in stock for a fair price so I headed over. The parts guy asked what car the part was for. When I said my 02 I35, he was shocked those things were still on the road. While I walked out, I took a look at my 15 yr old Infiniti parked in the middle of all these new shiny Q70's and Q50's. It just looked so out of place. Felt the same way last year when I went to the Honda dealer to get a rad cap for the Accord. My Accord looked odd in the parking lot surrounded by the new beefier Accords and Civics.

It's funny because whenever I walk into the dealer, the receptionists don't even bother asking me if I need help. They must see me stepping out my old beaters and know I'm just here for parts and am not going to buy a new car lol

Last edited:
I like going in to buy parts from them, but generally I buy everything mail-order these days due to cost savings. The BMW dealer is the most discordant but even there no one has batted an eye when I tell them the serial number.

Ive had to pick up a few parts for my sons 1981 380SL from the Mercedes dealership. The original price is usually outrageous but they usually give us a deep discount. They seem to always have what we need, even the obscure stuff. I think they feel sorry for him. The car sometimes draws a small crowd from the staff. The whole process of making a trip to the dealer for an old car is kind of humorous. The same goes for my 1997 F150. Though I strike out more finding parts at the Ford dealer and the discounts, if any aren't as generous. We also have a one owner 01 Protege that is mint condition and no rust. When I go to the dealer for parts on this car, I get discounts as well probably because they are amazed its a 300,000 mile rust free Protege in a rust belt state. I rarely go to the dealer, but when I do, its because I want quality parts now. Screw the price at that point.

When my Mazda was around only 500k, a friend(?!) broke the plastic trim piece that supports the inside door release handle. The local dealer's parts guy could tell me the part number of each color they used to come in, but couldn't get the part in any color. Big help they were! I patched it together with a bolt and creatively bent wire.

Last edited:
I order most of my parts from my BMW dealer. BMW Classic keeps a lot of older BMW parts in inventory.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I order most of my parts from my BMW dealer. BMW Classic keeps a lot of older BMW parts in inventory.

Except a right sunroof gate for a 1994 530i
cry.gif

I order most parts online or go aftermarket and purchase from AAP and the like. I recently discovered the junkyards in neighboring towns.

Usually can get the same OEM part through a dealer's eBay site for less than the local dealer if the part is available through a dealer only.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
It's always interesting buying parts for your old car from the dealer.

I broke a plastic nipple off a part while replacing rotted vacuum lines on my Infiniti. The local dealer had the part in stock for a fair price so I headed over. The parts guy asked what car the part was for. When I said my 02 I35, he was shocked those things were still on the road. While I walked out, I took a look at my 15 yr old Infiniti parked in the middle of all these new shiny Q70's and Q50's. It just looked so out of place. Felt the same way last year when I went to the Honda dealer to get a rad cap for the Accord. My Accord looked odd in the parking lot surrounded by the new beefier Accords and Civics.

It's funny because whenever I walk into the dealer, the receptionists don't even bother asking me if I need help. They must see me stepping out my old beaters and know I'm just here for parts and am not going to buy a new car lol

I'm surprised 5 salespeople didn't ask you if you wanted to test drive a ____ .

Originally Posted By: CR94
When my Mazda was around only 500k, a friend(?!) broke the plastic trim piece that supports the inside door release handle. The local dealer's parts guy could tell me the part number of each color they used to come in, but couldn't get the part in any color. Big help they were! I patched it together with a bolt and creatively bent wire.
Our closest Mazda dealer typically no longer has parts in stock for our '97 MPV, but has unfailingly brought them in within a few days. I take this for granted, and was dismayed at the trouble my friend had getting parts for an 11-year-old Ford Windstar. This will be a thing I check out before buying another car.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: MCompact

Except a right sunroof gate for a 1994 530i
cry.gif

Pfft, that's not a classic! That car is still a baby!

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Our closest Mazda dealer typically no longer has parts in stock for our '97 MPV, but has unfailingly brought them in within a few days. I take this for granted, and was dismayed at the trouble my friend had getting parts for an 11-year-old Ford Windstar. This will be a thing I check out before buying another car.

In terms of parts availability my BMW has been amazing for the most part. Lately though more and more have to come from Germany but at least they are still available.

Of course that car needs more parts than any of my other ones combined so I'm either doubly happy or cursed they are available. I'm not sure which.

I had my mechanic call a dealer to see if they had any seatbelt buckles for my Jeep. They said there's only 3 left in the country and they were somewhere up North in Minnesota or something. I got some from a junk yard. But I did get motor mounts and a transmission mount form the dealer for it. Also went in one time into a huge Jeep dealer to get a radiator cap for my Cherokee. They didn't have any in stock. Um, what? They made millions of these Jeeps. Ones bound t need a radiator cap at some point.

Most dealers are about moving new cars, and keeping them maintained while they're inside the warranty period. Most of the personnel act accordingly.

I usually order the parts I need, unless it's a VOR situation, for dealer only parts, that force me into paying the exorbitant markup my local dealers charge.

I've found the European marques are good about long term parts support, but I've also been pleasantly surprised by how good Mazda has been as well.

As cars become more complex, I suspect either that level of parts support won't last, and may make it hard to keep older cars. And if that doesn't suffice, the need for electronic diagnostic equipment will.

I go to a local Ford dealer for things like oil filters and spark plugs for my now two classic Fords.
They love seeing them and they're very nice to me and give me discount prices, kind of as a gift for keeping them on the road.
They also have known my father and grandfather since the 80s so...

In 2015, I enquired at a local dealer about rear suspension arms for my '81 Tercel. When I told him this he looked at me quizzically likely meaning "are you serious ?" These were not reproduced by any aftermarket supplier, so the dealer was my only chance.

Well what do you know : I now own the very last new pair of rear suspension arms ever made by Toyota for '79-82 Tercel
laugh.gif

Since 2010, I bought some parts for my two old Toyotas at that dealer. The parts guy which is an nice older guy seems happy to help me keep these two oldies on the road. He even gives me the garage discount (15%) even though I am not a business, because these parts are quite expensive.

When I brought my Supra at that dealer for an alignment, almost all the staff went to take a look. Some of them worked there when these were new (including the parts guy).

try getting parts for a 1972 FJ40. Most items discontinued. An 02 should not be a problem, you can at least order them if not stocked at the dealer.

My Club Sport-along with all E36 3ers-has now been moved to the "Classic" section of BMW's ETK...
19.gif

Funny how different manufacturers treat parts obsolescence. Ford tends to make parts obsolete fairly quickly with certain parts carried over multiple vehicles or on popular vehicles still made for a long time. Mazda rarely made parts obsolete until the earthquake/tsunami 2011.

Funny thing, I was once trying to find a fuel line fitting for the MG, and the Autozone guy said it was a "dealer item". I said it's an MG, and gave me a look of "Yeah, so?".
lol.gif
Pretty sure there are no MG dealers around anymore. I don't know, would a Range Rover dealer be the next closest thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back