How to convince wife it's time for a new car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been maintaining our 2010 Impala for the past 5 years and close to 100K. It's at around 130K miles now, is starting to show it's age and well... I'm sick of working on it.

Some more serious issues have all popped up the past year or so:
- The airbag light is on.
- The rear defrost stopped working.
- The trans is starting to not shift so great. I slapped a shift kit in it and flushed the fluid which helped a lot. Still slips sometimes on start so I know it's not healthy.
- The struts all need to be replaced soon. The passenger front sits lower that he driver side by about 3/4 inch.
- What I think is the sway bar end links in the rear are clunking around over bumps.
- Drivers side CV output seal is leaking trans fluid.
- Valve covers are weeping.
- Needs new tires this year and an alignment.
- Front doors are starting to rust on the bottom inside where the door skin folds over the frame.
- Needs a coolant flush, its on factory orange fill.
- Front end starting to feel loose and clunky over bumps. I'm sure tie rod ends and or ball joints need to be looked into. Starting to cause uneven tire wear.

The stuff above is on top of what I did this past year:

- Rotors and pads all around.
- Replaced Evap solenoid and purge solenoid.
- Tune up ( plugs, air filter, serp belt)
- Air blend door motor.

Question is, how do I convince my wife it's time to dump it while it's still worth a little money? I've tried to relay that it needs substantial work and isn't worth it, but the vehicle has sentimental value to her. It was the first car she ever purchased on her own and she just wants to keep throwing money at it. The list of things it needs compared to how little it's worth makes justifying fixing it very hard to me.

Should I make a list of all the things it needs and the cost VS putting that into a newer used vehicle? Stop maintaining it and drive it till it breaks then junk it? What's worked for you in the past?

Cars are emotional purchases so showing hard figures for dollars and cents will not always be successful. I've would try getting her to have a position emotional reaction to a new vehicle. Figure out what feature she wishes she had and start dropping hints about what new vehicle would have that and could be fun to drive.

Tell her its time to trade in now that the transmission is still shifting and worth some money.
Yes, some have an emotional attachment to a vehicle, not me.

Agree with 09_GXP.

Also, play up a safety angle... airbag light on means the airbag will most likely not deploy in case of a collision.

Take her to see a new Impala?

In the last couple months we had at least 3 threads about people buying the new Impala.

Maybe show her the pictures?

Second would be trough her circle of friends influence...

Mine heard about a friend taking advantage of the VW deals and got from a Honda minivan to a VW car.

I want a second mini-miniwan/wagon for the next 5 years, she is talking about a mid-size....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Also, play up a safety angle... airbag light on means the airbag will most likely not deploy in case of a collision.

^^^ Brilliant! ^^^

Find a new car that you like, and take her with you on an extended test drive. While on the test drive, do a few things she likes.. maybe stop somewhere nice for lunch or dinner.

Can't answer this one. My wife and I have been married 45 years and when I felt it was time for a new car, I bought one. No convincing necessary.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Take her to see a new Impala

Then he wont get one for sure once she sees that Stevie wonder designed homely bugger, then again she bought the even uglier 2010.

Consider that a well purchased new car is never more than a few cents per mile more costly than a used car. Really! Typically, it's 3 to 5 cents per mile more, depending on class of car.

Capital costs (purchase costs) are easily calculated per mile. $30K new car, 150K miles = 20c/mile for example. Try that with your used car, but remember the wealth of repairs always soon required on used cars, brakes, timing belt, tires, emissions equipment and so on.

Gas, insurance, interest and so on are often less on new! Know that insurance/gas/repairs are often MORE than Capital costs over a car's lifetime.

The total cost of ownership is so often ignored, instead the purchase cost is concentrated on.

Also, the "theory" that you let someone else take the hit on depreciation is an old wives tale. Good luck finding a newer model used car, for anything other than a pro-rated cost, based on the expected lifespan.

A 2018 Accord or Camry can be had for $24,000. An Altima, for much less. All of which are likely to provide 150K miles of trouble free service.

TLDR: New might be 50c/Mi. Used may be 47c/Mi. (in total)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Huie83
I have been maintaining our 2010 Impala for the past 5 years and close to 100K. It's at around 130K miles now, is starting to show it's age and well... I'm sick of working on it.

- The trans is starting to not shift so great. I slapped a shift kit in it and flushed the fluid which helped a lot. Still slips sometimes on start so I know it's not healthy.
- The struts all need to be replaced soon. The passenger front sits lower that he driver side by about 3/4 inch.
- What I think is the sway bar end links in the rear are clunking around over bumps.
- Front doors are starting to rust on the bottom inside where the door skin folds over the frame.
- Front end starting to feel loose and clunky over bumps. I'm sure tie rod ends and or ball joints need to be looked into. Starting to cause uneven tire wear.

- Air blend door motor.

Question is, how do I convince my wife it's time to dump it while it's still worth a little money? I've tried to relay that it needs substantial work and isn't worth it, but the vehicle has sentimental value to her. It was the first car she ever purchased on her own and she just wants to keep throwing money at it. The list of things it needs compared to how little it's worth makes justifying fixing it very hard to me.

Should I make a list of all the things it needs and the cost VS putting that into a newer used vehicle? Stop maintaining it and drive it till it breaks then junk it? What's worked for you in the past?

Keep the old car since it's not worth much (don't mention how much work it needs) and get a new car -- something much better than an Impala. After the old car sits on the driveway for a while, she will want to sell it.

- Air blend door motor.

Let her make the decision. It's not your car. Happy wife, happy life.

Last edited:
Why don't you get another 2010 Impala from the rust free south and use the one you have now until it stops running?

A 2010 will only set you back around $4500 here in metro-Atlanta, and that's for one that has been well kept. This is a [censored] of a lot cheaper than making a $35,000 divestiture of your savings account.

Also, check this place out. Your Impala is above average.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Chevrolet_Impala.html

I've made this point in numerous threads and I agree with you completely.
New cars aren't that expensive and good late model used ones aren't that cheap.
Why not buy new for a few pence more and enjoy the best 100K of a car's life?
A car is a tool and paying a few bucks more for a new one at least buys you a number of years of trouble free ownership and use with a real warranty to back you up should things go south.

- Air blend door motor.

How much is the repair bill , per year ? How much would payments add up to , per year . Also , insurance may be cheaper for a 2010 , than a new one .

Do the math & then come back with the results .

One thing mainly plays to a woman's heart with cars:

1. Safety. If you can convince her the car is no longer safe, and new ones are much safer, it will help. This argument is especially impactful if you have kids.

2. If you will be financing, rates are going to go up this year. Cars are cheap right now with gas prices low. But prices raise in the spring, and you won't get a good deal again until at least 4th of July, if not later. And if gas prices raise at all due to world turmoil, then cars will not be the deal they are now. If I were looking at a car, I'd buy a certified pre-owned. The used truck market is nuts (thus why I'm buying a new one).

Am I the only one here thinking that the Impala didn’t hold up very well for only 130,000 miles? While I’m not a fan of GovMo this car should be in much better shape for that mileage.

I would consider something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back