VW 508 Spec-0w20

Picked up a new 2018 VW Tiguan with the Miller cycle 2.0T. Realized after looking at the manual that it specs VW508 oil, which is a 0w20. While I’d prefer to use Castrol 0w40, I’m concerned about warranty. It says you can top off with vw 502, but nothing about subbing a full fill. I’ve read you can sub in a 504/507 oil, which I’d be comfortable with.

Castrol 0w20 FE is the vw fill, with motul also having an approved oil. Does anyone have a good vw parts site? I’m looking to use an approved oil and the Castrol isn’t available anywhere but the dealer from my research.

Hopefully there are more mainstream approved oils soon. It doesn’t look like any crazy spec, so hoping Amsoil or another steps up to the plate.

Thanks for any advice and support you can offer.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Picked up a new 2018 VW Tiguan with the Miller cycle 2.0T. Realized after looking at the manual that it specs VW508 oil, which is a 0w20. While I’d prefer to use Castrol 0w40, I’m concerned about warranty. It says you can top off with vw 502, but nothing about subbing a full fill. I’ve read you can sub in a 504/507 oil, which I’d be comfortable with.

Castrol 0w20 FE is the vw fill, with motul also having an approved oil. Does anyone have a good vw parts site? I’m looking to use an approved oil and the Castrol isn’t available anywhere but the dealer from my research.

Hopefully there are more mainstream approved oils soon. It doesn’t look like any crazy spec, so hoping Amsoil or another steps up to the plate.

Put Castroll 0W40. As usual VW made mistake in manual.
They already announced they are replacing manuals in Atlas.
I would not be surprised that in your engine bay it says VW 502.00.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Under hood says 508. Done a lot of reading. Spec is definitely 508.

Under hood says 508. Done a lot of reading. Spec is definitely 508.

OK, then go with VW 508.00

You know my feelings on this.

I'd continue to run a 502/A40 oil. Your dealer won't know the difference. The EA888 hasn't changed that much.

When I worked at VW there was only one warranty denial to my knowledge, and it was a money shift. Poor car saw over 17k rpm.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You know my feelings on this.

I'd continue to run a 502/A40 oil. Your dealer won't know the difference. The EA888 hasn't changed that much.

When I worked at VW there was only one warranty denial to my knowledge, and it was a money shift. Poor car saw over 17k rpm.

Castrol 0W40 is way to go. VW508.00 is just to get better fleet mpg.
They are doing same with Atlas. That VR6 in Atlas is so inefficient that probably has VW508.00in it, but they recommend consumers to use VW502.00. Once car is due to oil change, they use VW502.00. So far I read that people are "wondering" about "sluggishness" of engine after moving to 0W40 and drop in already abysmal mpg.

Not that VW would do anything like that
smile.gif

Last edited:
https://www.fuchs.com/fileadmin/schmiers..._00_02-2017.pdf

FUCHS

Mannheim, February 2017
Introduction of the new TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE IV SAE 0W-20 engine oil for the new
VW specifications VW 508 00 / 509 00
General information
Specifications 508 00 and 509 00 concern the so-called “VW Blue Oil” for the latest
generations of engines from VW. The specifications demand an oil in viscosity class SAE
0W-20 with a reduced HTHS viscosity of at least 2.6 mPa.s.
This allows fuel savings of
at least 4% to be achieved. The first of these engines have been available on the market
since the end of 2015. Specifications VW 508 00 and 509 00 are not backwards
compatible with previous VW specifications. In contrast, specification VW 504 00 can be
used wherever older VW specifications for petrol engines are required, for example. For
diesel engines, specification VW 507 00 can also be used for the corresponding older
diesel specifications. R5 and V10 TDI engines up to model year 2006 are the exception.
These engines must be filled with an engine oil according to VW 506 01 (TITAN
Supersyn LONGLIFE PLUS SAE 0W-30). For VW engines that require VW 508 00 / 509
00, engine oils with specification VW 504 00 / 507 00 can currently be used as an option.
TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE IV SAE 0W-20

The new TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE IV SAE 0W-20 was approved by VW in accordance with
VW 508 00 / 509 00 and is now available to dealerships and workshops.

Originally Posted By: wemay
https://www.fuchs.com/fileadmin/schmiers..._00_02-2017.pdf

FUCHS

Mannheim, February 2017
Introduction of the new TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE IV SAE 0W-20 engine oil for the new
VW specifications VW 508 00 / 509 00
General information
Specifications 508 00 and 509 00 concern the so-called “VW Blue Oil” for the latest
generations of engines from VW. The specifications demand an oil in viscosity class SAE
0W-20 with a reduced HTHS viscosity of at least 2.6 mPa.s.
This allows fuel savings of
at least 4% to be achieved. The first of these engines have been available on the market
since the end of 2015. Specifications VW 508 00 and 509 00 are not backwards
compatible with previous VW specifications. In contrast, specification VW 504 00 can be
used wherever older VW specifications for petrol engines are required, for example. For
diesel engines, specification VW 507 00 can also be used for the corresponding older
diesel specifications. R5 and V10 TDI engines up to model year 2006 are the exception.
These engines must be filled with an engine oil according to VW 506 01 (TITAN
Supersyn LONGLIFE PLUS SAE 0W-30). For VW engines that require VW 508 00 / 509
00, engine oils with specification VW 504 00 / 507 00 can currently be used as an option.
TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE IV SAE 0W-20

The new TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE IV SAE 0W-20 was approved by VW in accordance with
VW 508 00 / 509 00 and is now available to dealerships and workshops.

What this is saying is:
We need better fleet mpg, as well as facts (so we do not have to lie again) that our cars consuming less fuel.
But, VW504.00/507.00 is still OK. Meaning, we designed those engines some times ago around heavier oils, and if you really insist you can use HTHS 3.5 or higher (actually maybe you should).
But what is really catchy is: latest engines. LOL, since when EA888 is latest engine?

I don’t disagree that a 504 would be just fine...or so I think. However this is a new version of the 2.0t. With vw now having a much longer warranty, I’d guess this has been tested with a 0w20, as vw can’t have a rash of claims. Note this engine is also used in Audi vehicles. The oil itself is used in the s4 from what I heard.

I don’t disagree that a 504 would be just fine...or so I think. However this is a new version of the 2.0t. With vw now having a much longer warranty, I’d guess this has been tested with a 0w20, as vw can’t have a rash of claims. Note this engine is also used in Audi vehicles. The oil itself is used in the s4 from what I heard.

It is just tweaked version. It doesn't come even with valvelift like 235hp, 258lb-ft version.
VW tweaked that engine for Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 crowd, not VW crowd. They increased warranty since they want customers. They are being aggressive going after Toyota, Honda buyers, neglecting traditional VW customers. Problem is, Toyota/Honda customers are not as forgiving as VW traditional customers who are willing to live with some VW strings attached to get good driving dynamics for that class.
Tolerances in that engine are exactly the same as in my Tiguan. Nothing changed from that stand point.
As for VW testing oil? Do not forget that VW is still paying oil debacle with 1.8T when they recommended "quality" oil (that was first attempt to get Toyota/Honda customers so they did not want to burden buyers with more complex oil requirements). I bet someone was there who said: VW tested that oil.
By the way, Mobil1 for Germany recommends M1 5W30 ESP VW504.00/507.00 oil for fixed intervals on versions with 137kw and 167kw. For long drain intervals it is recommended 0W20. That means engineering wise, HTHS of 3.5 or higher is perfectly fine.
Last tme VW did this short/long drain interval mambo-jumbo they had debacle with unit-injector camshafts on markets with long drain intervals.
By the way, here is lubrizol tool and compare VW508.00/509.00 with some other specifications.
Lubrizol specification chart

Last edited:
I'd continue to run a 502/A40 oil. Your dealer won't know the difference.

According to some reading, there is a dye in the oil. Audi guys are saying this.

The dealer will see a difference if they look. And this isn't the only mis-application tracer that is in the oil.

Putting the 508 00 oil in an older engine is probably more of a concern, but if you're in warranty and want to preserve it the 508 00 oil is what is required and they can tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: weasley

According to some reading, there is a dye in the oil. Audi guys are saying this.

The dealer will see a difference if they look. And this isn't the only mis-application tracer that is in the oil.

Putting the 508 00 oil in an older engine is probably more of a concern, but if you're in warranty and want to preserve it the 508 00 oil is what is required and they can tell the difference.

But they WONT check because they WONT care, as long as you have oil in your engine and it isn't sludged to [censored] and back.

So it has some dye in it - all Castrol Professional oil does, and it's not the service fill at every dealer.

I doubt there's a warranty risk in using 502 or 507 in place of 508. However, if it really bugs you, run the 508 and perhaps shorten up the OCI.

VW 504.00/507 is also allowed!
Dealer cannot figure out difference based on dye. Dye is there to spot leaks, nothing to do with grade.

Dealer cannot figure out difference based on dye. Dye is there to spot leaks, nothing to do with grade.

The 508 00/509 00 specification specifically requires that a dye is added to the oil to make misapplication less easy. It is not a UV dye and it is not limited to a specific manufacturer, it is VW's requirement for all oils that meet 508 00/509 00. And as I said, if it came to a warranty claim there are other markers in the oil that can be found.

The 508 00/509 00 specification specifically requires that a dye is added to the oil to make misapplication less easy. It is not a UV dye and it is not limited to a specific manufacturer, it is VW's requirement for all oils that meet 508 00/509 00. And as I said, if it came to a warranty claim there are other markers in the oil that can be found.

But, VW is still saying VW 504.00/507.00 is allowed?
What are other markers? Please do explain.
If I buy new Tiguan, VW specifically is saying VW 504.00/507.00 is allowed. Per Magnusson-Moss Act I can change my own oil in garage or parking lot as long as I use oil that is specified for that engine (though you are in Europe and that does not apply to you. Those laws are written for EU by VW probably). VW says VW504.00/507.00 is allowed. So, please, what are other markers. Because I actually do use oil that besides BMW LL-04 meets also VW504.00/507.00. I have not seen anything extraordinary in the color of that oil compare to Castrol 0W40 or any other oil that does not meet VW504.00/507.00. Again, even in EU VW allows heavy oils to be used in their "new" engines. Take into consideration that consumer in this case is much more protected in the U.S. then in UK. Maybe in UK VW can get away by claiming that owners MUST use VW508.00/509.00 (they do not). But in the U.S. that will not work. Keep in mind, OP lives in the U.S.
VW508.00/509.00 is ridiculously easy spec to meet. There is NOTHING in that spec that is special except that increases mpg. Now, if OP still wants to use 0W20, he better use oil that also meets MB229.71. BMW for example moved its engines to 0W20 LL-14 here in the U.S. In Europe, they still want LL-04 to be used. So argument that this engine is going to fall apart if VW 508.00/509.00 is not used is laughable.

Last edited:
Back