Favorite Small Block of all time??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small block 400.

I can routinely get " about" 500 hp and 500 ft/lb of pump gas at reasonable price.

UD

Last edited:
Chevy 327 with four bolt main, 202 powerpack heads 650 CFM 4 barrel carb in a 68 Camaro with 4 speed manual trany, and wide slicks in the back. That car screamed and also got decent MPGs.

My favorite small blocks are the Chevy 327 and the Studebaker R series engines. I say Studebaker as I own a 1963 Avanti with an R2 engine in it.

Ford BOSS 302. You had to wind it to the moon, but it sounded amazing. There was a guy running around here with an original one for a while, have not seen it as of late however.

Any Chevy up to 350 / Any Ford up to 351C and M / Any Mopar up to 340. Sorry guys could not pick just one. Worked on them all through the 60s and 70s. Yea I am an
young old far+ of 64
21.gif

Originally my last 305. But since Ive boosted a 267 and it was an absolute monster and took a beating. So much more fun compared to the 305 and 350s of my past.

Ford Windsor 289/302.Most old Fords you see are still carrying their factory original engines,cant say the same for all those old Chevies on their 2nd or 3rd small block....

The 389 tri power pontiac was a nice engine.

I dont think its a small nor big block..that always causes confusion.

Never had one, but kinda hard to argue against SBC. Parts all over the place. LS motors are better, but about a billion of the SBC's were made.

SBF had the distributor in a better location, though. Mopars were known for being rugged.

My parents owned a 1971 Plymouth Duster 340 when I was a kid. The car served as a daily driver for my mother at the time, an elementary school teacher, until 1979.

The story my Dad (who is 76 now) tells me is that he and my mother were out car shopping in 1971 and decided to stop by the local Plymouth dealer. Dad spotted a dark-rust looking orange Duster sitting in the back lot. He asked the salesman about the car. Supposedly, the salesman said a young 20ish guy had ordered it several months earlier after putting a deposit down. The car did not have any stickers indicating it had a 340 on it and allegedly, had some chassis modifications done. The salesman figured the guy planned on doing some street racing, hence the lack of 340 decals. Once the car came in, the guy informed the dealer he now had money problems and would not be able to purchase the car. The salesman said the car was now available. Dad asked for a test drive. One test drive and an hour later, my parents were the owners of a new Duster 340.

I remember the car as being very loud and would scare the [censored] out of me whenever Dad nailed it while passing cars on two-lane roads. To me, it seemed like the fastest car in the world...but then again, most cars are fast to kids who are under 8. I also remember thinking the car was ugly.

To this day, Mom and Dad talk about their 340. It usually ends in a heated discussion because my Mother wanted to keep the car. Dad ended up selling it in 1979 and bought a Toyota Corona (not to be confused with Corolla.) due to the '79 gas crisis. He also says that once Sunoco stopped selling their line of Sunoco 260 fuel, that the car just wouldn't run like it use to.

Dad still talks about how his little 340ci could give bigger engines a run for their money in a 1/8th of a mile.

My Mother's plan was to garage the Duster and give it to me when I started driving in the late 80's. Dad said the car was too fast for a new driver and that I would have killed myself and anybody riding with me. Instead of the Duster, I inherited the '79 Corona. It was a horribly reliable car that never landed me a date.

My vote is for the 340s
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

Yep, I got tired of explaining to the ill-informed that the 389 is not a big block, it's a Pontiac block. My favorite is still the 428.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

Yep, I got tired of explaining to the ill-informed that the 389 is not a big block, it's a Pontiac block. My favorite is still the 428.

Yeah. Pontiac didn't have a big block until the 301 came along, and became the small block. Up until then all Pontiac engines were based on the same block. The 301 had the same bore spacing, but lower deck height. The original Pontiac was produced in more displacements than any other GM engine. 287, 317, 326, 347, 350, 370, 389, 400, 421, 428, and 455. I hate it when hot rodders swap a Chevy engine into a Pontiac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back