Looking to buy a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
A young Guy at work has V6 AWD fusion that has served him well. Ill ask what year it is and what he gets for gas mileage - would guess its under 25 ave. There is a Lincoln version of this MKZ (?)that can be had cheap. ( he get 21 city 28 highway and its a 2008 AWD)

When I was renting a LOT of cars in Florida, the KIA Forte sedan seemed near perfection in a compact car. Other than that I like a 16" Charger v6 mid range car a lot too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
This is the only forum where someone is looking to buy A NEW CAR and a fifteen year old dinosaur is recommended. Yep-buy one and equip it with Michelins and your "golden".

Unbelievable.....

Well it was common advice for a long time til they stopped making them in 2011. It's just slightly out of the 5 year range and there probably aren't too many out there with less than 50k. They were pretty cheap and considered pretty safe but gas mileage wasn't that great.

There's also the Taurus if you're looking to find a car with a V6. I think Fusion only had the V6 in a few models in the 2010-2013 range or in the newest 2017 model.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Price range is $15k max.

Do you want space, reliability, visibility, vroom vroom?

-VW Golf Sportwagen (Hecho en Mexico)
-VW Passat (right from Chatanooga, TN)
-Mazda6
-Mazda5
-Fusion (You already mentioned, also look for TIG1's posts, he has new one kind of like you like it)

if plug-in, Leaf, but: remember you are in a cold area which could dump the batteries really low. BIL could not do the 1.2 hours drive to work when really cold in Chicago.....

hybrid:
-Prius (The discontinued Priusv is pretty much a Mazda5 in Prius wagon hybrid body)
-Volt
-c-max
-all the car hybrids: Fusion, Hyundai, ....

You could get a manual transmission Honda Civic or Fit. Not a CVT and will get great mpg. Plus they are usually a little cheap than the auto.

If you want a car that you can commute in and only needs gas and oil changes, buy a Camry.

I’d also recommend a Sonata. Direct injection is a non-issue.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Price range is $15k max.

-Mazda6
-Mazda5
-Fusion (You already mentioned, also look for TIG1's posts, he has new one kind of like you like it)

if plug-in, Leaf, but: remember you are in a cold area which could dump the batteries really low. BIL could not do the 1.2 hours drive to work when really cold in Chicago.....

hybrid:
-Prius (The discontinued Priusv is pretty much a Mazda5 in Prius wagon hybrid body)
-Volt
-c-max

No close by VWs and only one, he's good, but only one VW mechanic near me.

No plugins. Car sits outside and the driveway is not near any outlet.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If you want a car that you can commute in and only needs gas and oil changes, buy a Camry.

I thought the Hyundai Sonata was perfect until I saw their engine recalls for 2011-2015 models. Ehhhhhhhh I'll pass

Price range is $15k max.

You should be able to get a brand new 2017 Ford Fusion, for close to that.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Price range is $15k max.

-Mazda6
-Mazda5

hybrid:
-Volt
-c-max

No close by VWs and only one, he's good, but only one VW mechanic near me.

No plugins. Car sits outside and the driveway is not near any outlet.

I had a 2015 VW Passat tdi and put 62k flawless miles on in 2 years before the buyback. once fixed it had a 10/ 162k mile warranty on it. I once got a 915 mile tank out of it on a trip. in those vehicles you cannot wait btwn fillups for a bathroom break. lol

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
What about a low miles crown vic?
reliable, cheap to run/repair, comfy for long trips. RWD but it sounds like your jeep could do winter duty. A modern 4 banger would get better mileage, but all highway the 4.6 would still do mid 20s.

This is the only forum where someone is looking to buy A NEW CAR and a fifteen year old dinosaur is recommended. Yep-buy one and equip it with Michelins and your "golden".

Unbelievable.....

Dude relax...and check your math...Crown Vics were made until 2011 so less-than-7-year-old ones are currently out there. Dinosaur or not it is a reliable 25mpg highway cruiser which might work for OP

Spark, Sonic, Cruze, Yaris, Corolla, Camry, Matrix, Scion XD

The Accord V6 has a regular automatic, not a CVT like the I4 does.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I thought the Hyundai Sonata was perfect until I saw their engine recalls for 2011-2015 models. Ehhhhhhhh I'll pass
2011-2014, different engine since.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Commuter car

http://www.abwautos.com/2006-Scion-xA-Naugatuck-Connecticut-06770/6375500

Pays for itself in < 2 years.

This is a nice buy for sure.

I am at about 80 miles a day. ~$13 a day at 15 mpg, ~$6.50 at 30 mpg. Excluding all other factors, that 30 mpg car would only save me about $130 a month.

Don't forget the higher insurance that comes with a new car too.

One aspect of the Panther (that I haven't seen mentioned) is that it'd be RWD, just like the Jeep, thus handling in snow might be somewhat similar. No need to (re)learn how to drive in snow. Not applicable for AWD.

Being a Jeep that gets wheeled, it makes sense to me to want other wheels. I mean, what are the odds of breaking something at some point? let alone any mods that might take more than weekend to do.

Can't help, last time I went car shopping I bought something old enough to vote. In my case it breaks even: I save nothing in money as compared to commuting in my truck, but the ride is a bit more cushy, and as my truck gets older & more prone to breakage, the backup vehicle becomes a bit more important. [Even if the backup is the one more apt to break!]

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

If for some reason the 2014 ford fusion SE I'm seeing Saturday at 9 doesn't turn out then I'll look at those other cars.

Though I want good gas mileage, decent looks are a (my fault for not mentioning) a rrquirement. Some of those suggested are fuuuuuuuuglyyyy haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back