Dusted - K&N on a Cummins ISX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Again, the filter was installed by the guy that owned the truck, he's not in this thread, never has been. That's been stated several times now.

Yes...? So he's the guy who oiled the dry filter ? You've told us this before, and yes I hear you. You aren't hearing me.

I don't know why this thread keeps getting traction, there is an obvious installation error, any results are questionable. It just goes to show the blind hate for K&N here.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Again, the filter was installed by the guy that owned the truck, he's not in this thread, never has been. That's been stated several times now.

Yes...? So he's the guy who oiled the dry filter ? You've told us this before, and yes I hear you. You aren't hearing me.

I don't know why this thread keeps getting traction, there is an obvious installation error, any results are questionable. It just goes to show the blind hate for K&N here.

Because your comment:

Originally Posted By: Silk
but is a good example of the stupidity of installers. Do it right next time.

Seems to be targeted at an individual, but that individual isn't here, hence the reiteration. The installer was the owner, who isn't a mechanic but loves Snake Oil and advertising. Obviously following directions appears to be an issue for him as well.

The thread gets traction because it shows a less than favourable result in pictures. Whether this is entirely due to the incompetence by the owner in his oiling of a filter not meant to be oiled, that's certainly debatable, but the results are an expensive engine rebuild and even with the given qualifiers, should cause people to question the wisdom of swapping out high quality OEM-tested units for aftermarket CAI's, particularly in applications that are otherwise stock.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The STC filter system was made by Donaldson, but like a K&N you could see daylight through them when they weren't oiled.

The glue and wire backing were of a higher caliber than what I've seen on a K&N, but the media itself was similar/identical.

We used both K&N Aerosol oil for field use, or Donaldson oil in hand bottles.

If the K&N filter installed on the ISX was a dry type similar to an aFe or AEM, it is possible that the oil degraded the media to the point where it was damaged and carnage ensured.

Good thought there.

I think CAT shipped something similar on the C32 to what you are describing? I also believe it to be manufactured by Donaldson:

CAT%20c32%20engine.jpg

Silk might actually like this one, as this is the engine room of a boat manufactured by Alloy Yachts in New Zealand that belongs to a rather wealthy friend of the family:

Loretta-Anne-11.jpg

I know the picture isn't great, but that's a pair of CAT C32's with the same filters as the above pic
smile.gif

should cause people to question the wisdom of swapping out high quality OEM-tested units for aftermarket CAI's, particularly in applications that are otherwise stock.

THAT is what we should take from this thread, all the rest is just K&N bashing.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
The reason Cotton gauze filter manufacturers have few repeat customers is not because the filters last and last with only cleanings and re-installations, It is because the first time someone takes one out to clean it they see how much dirt got through it and into the intake, and the throw the filter out and never buy another!

I have never personally seen this, even on engines that move more air than this diesel.

There is more to the original post here than just having a K&N installed, regardless of what is said.

I just yanked a K&N CAI kit off a friend's truck. It was never maintained. I cleaned it up and reoiled it only to find the cotton gauze and steel mesh was damaged by the intake's mounting hardware. On went an OEM GM airbox and duct.

My reservation with this thread is that I have seen oiled cotton gauze filters in front of turbine engines - IN THE DESERT - with perfectly clean intakes, compressors, and turbines. On the Rolls-Royce M250-C30 the filters eliminated our need for regular turbine washes - indeed we didn't perform one in the 18 months I was there. Another added benefit was more available power over a traditional particle separator.

I have also used K&N in my younger days, and have never personally seen a wet or dirty intake tract.

I believe that if this filter was installed competently, there would be no thread.

My opinion, of course, and I meant no disrespect.

+1
I've never encountered an issue using K&N in over 25 years. From our VW Fox SCCA rally car to my most mundane daily driver.

K&Ns are used on turbines because they don't have a choice. A particle separator is no kind of filter at all. Any kind of filter is better than none.

Traditional media cannot be used because they cannot be certified as flame arrestors.

Marine engines have the same issue. K&N is better than a mesh screen or louvered flame arrestor. That's it. Same concerns over flame arrestor cert.

Moral of the story is K&N is better than a screen, louvers, or an unfiltered labyrinth.

It'd a forgone conclusion that K&N filters do not filter well at all. The proof is that even K&N itself gave up its internet troll campaign, and despite making efforts to internet troll, never made any attempt to set the record straight through scientific means.

If you bring trolling and yelling rather than facts and tests to a science battle, you must be wrong.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
K&Ns are used on turbines because they don't have a choice. A particle separator is no kind of filter at all. Any kind of filter is better than none.

Traditional media cannot be used because they cannot be certified as flame arrestors.

Marine engines have the same issue. K&N is better than a mesh screen or louvered flame arrestor. That's it. Same concerns over flame arrestor cert.

Moral of the story is K&N is better than a screen, louvers, or an unfiltered labyrinth.

It'd a forgone conclusion that K&N filters do not filter well at all. The proof is that even K&N itself gave up its internet troll campaign, and despite making efforts to internet troll, never made any attempt to set the record straight through scientific means.

If you bring trolling and yelling rather than facts and tests to a science battle, you must be wrong.

http://www.turbineproducts.com/pleated-paper-turbine-inlet-filter/

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
You do know that is for a respirator to give a human being air to breathe, and not a gas turbine engine, right?

Yes, the
27.gif
emoji didn't make it in error.
smile.gif

But i will also add that every vehicle (with a k&n installed) for which I've received a uoa, has come back with as low Si count as with OE style filters. 7-12 range for each. I'd never claim it filters as well as premium paper filters but the bashing of k&n is also overboard here. Not trying to stir the pot, just offering up personal anecdotal experience from 25 years of use.

Since I've been here....

AutoRX good, AutoRX great, AutoRX bad
Fram Bad, Fram death, Fram Great
K&N good, K&N bad, K&N end of the world bad, K&N causes cancer
German Castrol Amazing, German Castrol ok
Pennzoil bad, Pennzoil great
Purolator Good, Purolator bad
Frequent oil changes cheap insurance, frequent oil changes wasteful, frequent oil changes harmful

It's an internet forum, take from it what you will, but only rarely do you find info that is good for every situation and every application. I will say this forum is much better than the Honda Civic forums I go to to find good information...... Lot's of know it all's on all forums, lots of no nothings too.

I'm late to this one, but how many miles of driving through a baby powder plant does it take to get that amount of dust inside AND OUTSIDE an air filter? I've never seen anything that dirty in my life! That has to be a factor, what on earth was the 99% highway paved with?

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Since I've been here....

Frequent oil changes cheap insurance, frequent oil changes wasteful, frequent oil changes harmful

It's an internet forum, take from it what you will, but only rarely do you find info that is good for every situation and every application. I will say this forum is much better than the Honda Civic forums I go to to find good information...... Lot's of know it all's on all forums, lots of no nothings too.

*know nothings...
BTW I agree LOL.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: c502cid
Since I've been here....

*know nothings...
BTW I agree LOL.

That's what happens when you no everything lol!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I'm late to this one, but how many miles of driving through a baby powder plant does it take to get that amount of dust inside AND OUTSIDE an air filter? I've never seen anything that dirty in my life! That has to be a factor, what on earth was the 99% highway paved with?

Probably road salt I'm guessing? Maybe the guy lives near a chalk mine? LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back