07 K24 - valve adjustment interval

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hello,

Picked up a 07 Accord with 160k on it this winter. I haven't owned a Honda in decades, but have read that they like their valves to be adjusted periodically.

What is the normal interval, and from a driving perspective, what would I be encountering if the valves were out of adjustment?

Thanks.

I think Honda used to want them checked every 100k miles.

Not sure what you'd be encountering, I imagine the ECU is making some adjustments somewhere to compensate for the lash being out. If you have the knowhow, time and tools, I'd do it.

IME, the valve cover gaskets on the Hondas are very durable. I don't know that I'd replace it, but I'd go ahead and order a kit (with the tube seals) and have it on hand just in case.

Does the owners manual have a recommendation? If the valves were out of adjustment they would have to be adjusted.

I have had a couple with over 250K and worked on some with many more miles..never had adjustment.

Since its new to you..keep an eye on oil consumption..i think yours is one of the possible oil burners.

There's no specific set interval in the service manual for the Honda K Series engines.

Lucky for you, the valves are relatively easy to get too. Have you tried searching the Accord forums to see what other owners are doing with similar mileage and age as yours?

One thing I know, if the engine is running smoothly, why touch anything?

Call around for a Honda tech and have him check the clearances and adjust if needed.

If the car is in good shape and you plan to own it long term and you want the best performance outta the engine, go thru the engine bay and service whatever needs attention.

Originally Posted By: Artem
There's no specific set interval in the service manual for the Honda K Series engines.

Like CT8 asked though, what about the owner's manual? My old Accord lists every 30,000 miles in the maintenance section.

I had the CRV's checked at about that mileage and they didn't require much adjustment at all. They sounded fine, and probably I could've left them. They are easy to adjust anyways so if you're planning on keeping it for a while and feel nervous about leaving them, you might as well get them checked.

The K24 isn't too bad about valves getting out of adjustment. When I checked my '08 CR-V at 100,000 I think one intake valve was slightly loose, that was all. The B20 is the one that is known for valves tightening up and burning, which happened often on the 2001 and earler CR-Vs that used that engine.

Replace the pcv valve every 60k miles with an oem one. Usually the internal spring breaks around that mileage and can result in oil burning. The one you bought could still have the original in there.

Drain and fill only for the trans on these per Honda. You can do three in a row, spaced out 500+ miles each. Prob do the plugs, drive belt etc. You can also change the oil filter every other oil change, another Honda statement. I'm a moderator on www.driveaccord.net but not very active on there any longer. Too many ads imo since the site was sold to a large conglomerate. But still some good info over there. I found out about this site from over there.

Overall a very reliable unit. A guy on here bought an 06 or 07 Accord K24 with 567k miles on it and in mint condition. Plus it's in MI, the rust belt. The 07 Accords and prior are kind of my favorites. These are also known as the 7th generation Accord. The fourth through the seventh gens are my favorites.

Thanks for the info. No oil burning, and the first thing I did (other than an oil change), was the PCV valve.

Will wait till spring, and take it down to my mechanic.....running nice and smooth right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back