Dodge Ram EcoDiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have an opinion on this 3.0 diesel powertrain? Is it still an Isuzu motor?
Shame that it doesn't come with a manual transmission.

It was never an Isuzu motor. The 3.0 is made by V Motori in Italy and it has numerous flaws. These flaws became serious issues when this engine is used in high heat and high load conditions like towing. There also have been numerous issues with build quality which caused early engine failure. Overall not a wise purchase unless you pay $$$$ for the extended warranty and dump it when it expires.

The cost of maintenance and repairs is high. It is an Italian engine built by a company named VM that is owned by Fiat Chrysler. I don't think it has any relation to Isuzu. We haven't had any come in for anything but maintenance so far.

It’s a Fiat. Stay far far away from that motor. The main bearings are good for around 20k miles before they are shot.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It’s a Fiat. Stay far far away from that motor. The main bearings are good for around 20k miles before they are shot.

Do you see unicorns as well?

Originally Posted By: AVB
The cost of maintenance and repairs is high. It is an Italian engine built by a company named VM that is owned by Fiat Chrysler. I don't think it has any relation to Isuzu. We haven't had any come in for anything but maintenance so far.

GM did own a large stake in VM Motori at one time, That's probably where the confusion stems from.

If this is in regards to a purchase decision and if your needs are for a 1/2 ton diesel, I believe I'd take my chances with the F150 diesel coming out later this year or wait for the new inline 6 diesel in the 2019 GM trucks. Just my $0.02.

Do a Google search of the issues with the engine, and emissions system it changed my mind about owning one. OTOH maybe they worked them out, I haven't searched in a while.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
Unicorns! yes, I saw one walking down the street this morning

the eco diesel engines, at least the early versions, were garbage:

here is a long list of seized engines, some with 10-20 thousand miles or less:

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1...ilures-103.html

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1...ilures-135.html

http://www.dieselramforum.com/forum/ram-...-ecodiesel.html

A simple search like that changed my mind real quick. We were considering a GC with the diesel, not anymore. When we buy we'll go with the gas engine, save a ton of money, and a lot of "potential" headaches.

Early models had soot buildup in the heads, camshafts not pinned which meant timing went off when they did rotate.
Friend has a 2015 JGC with the diesel, spent more time in the dealership trying to fix CEL light vs actually driving the thing.
And try to find a dealership that has a tech that knows what they're doing fixing these things, and if they have a tech, there is a 3 - 5 week backlog on repairs.
Buy gasoline powertrain is my feedback.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Do you see unicorns as well?

A simple search will bring up numerous examples of engine failures.

There was a fellow who went by 'Moparecodiesel' on Youtube, who used his Ecodiesel truck in his hotshot business. The truck was almost always heavily loaded, and he racked up a lot of miles quickly. I watched quite a few of his videos. There were some issues, but overall he seemed pleased with how the truck performed.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: AVB

GM did own a large stake in VM Motori at one time, That's probably where the confusion stems from.

And the 2.8 Duramax is based on the VM Motori engine that was used in the Jeep Liberty CRD and others. I won't own one as a timing belt on a diesel is sacrilege for me and timing chains aren't great. I'll take gears please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back