Looking to buy a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy again
smile.gif

Commuting 60 miles a day on a 2.5" lifted heavy WJ with bigger tires and a 4.0 is getting sad mpgs (obligatory). So I'm in search of a commuter car while the ol' pig is a weekend warrior and snow blazer.

My main criteria is reliability and simplicity. No older than 5 years, and less than 50k miles.
1. No direct injection
2. No CVT or DTC transmissions
3. No turbos or superchargers

Found a couple makes and models that met the criteria, this Saturday I'm going to be doing a test drive of a clean 2014 Ford Fusion SE 2.5L with regular 6 speed automatic transmission.

I've read these cars had transmission issues in '11-'12 years so I believe that won't be an issue. Supposedly read the 2.5 can get a knocking/tapping sound? Is that true?

Any other suggestions on what cars to get?

Thanks!

Fusion would be a good choice. 2013 was also the last year the Civic had the normal 5 speed auto. My sister picked up a 2013 VW Jetta with the 2.5L 5 cylinder. The car has a nice interior and drives pretty well. Shes averaging 33 mpg and she doesn't have a light foot.

Dunno why you're ruling out CVT transmissions.. but okay. Guess that rules out the Nissan Altima, which, IMHO, is a great car. My 2014 is terrific, and gets 38+ MPG highway.

The Fusion would be a good choice, though. They look good, get decent fuel economy, and are comfortable. The 2.5 is just a bulletproof engine, too.

You mentioned:
Quote:

I've read these cars had transmission issues in '11-'12 years so I believe that won't be an issue. Supposedly read the 2.5 can get a knocking/tapping sound? Is that true?

The transmission you're referring to is the 6F35 trans, which has had a bit of a reputation for being.. touchy.. but in all honesty is a pretty darn good trans. It's the same transmission that i have in my 2010 Fusion, and it's still ticking. The car is a bit over 249,000 miles now, with the factory engine and trans still in it, and still gets me safely my 110 miles back and forth to work every day.

The 6F35 is still in use in the Fusion, even after 2012, so it's what would be in that 2014 you're looking at it. Ford has tweaked it and updated the code though, so you'll be getting a mature version.

What about a low miles crown vic? reliable, cheap to run/repair, comfy for long trips. RWD but it sounds like your jeep could do winter duty. A modern 4 banger would get better mileage, but all highway the 4.6 would still do mid 20s.

Used 4-dr, FWD sedans seem to be the sweet spot in terms of very economical used buys. I would agree that the Fusion is a good one. IMO, Ford tried to compete with the Camry in this segment. Fusions seem to be great used cars. Easy trans drain/fills, fairly easy DIY maintenance in general.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
What about a low miles crown vic? reliable, cheap to run/repair, comfy for long trips. RWD but it sounds like your jeep could do winter duty. A modern 4 banger would get better mileage, but all highway the 4.6 would still do mid 20s.

Not a bad idea but more than 5 years old.

I thought of a Toyota RAV4.

Originally Posted By: JLTD

Not a bad idea but more than 5 years old.

I thought of a Toyota RAV4.

darn you're right!

Honestly, I'd probably rule out a used car with a CVT too, but under 50k miles should be safe.just make sure to do a drain and fill.

Sit down and do the math on how much money you'd save by buying a more efficient vehicle, and see if it's worth it to you. It may be an eye opener on how little you'd save each year... or it may show a big savings. Either way, it will lay the framework of your venture.

I did that during the last bubble of $4/gal and found it was cheaper to keep my gas-pig Mercury Marquis.

Snow belt, less than 5 years and 50k miles, assuming good fuel economy but not sure about budget.

Do you have EV charging at work (and is it free to charge)? If so a used Leaf would be the best bargain (i.e. around 6k-13k). What about a Prius? or Elantra, Cruze, Focus, etc?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What the price range? Pick up a nice Boxster! 30mpg top down commuter car.

Yeah, lots of cars in that range. Lexus, Acura, BMW, Audi, MB.

What about a low miles crown vic?
reliable, cheap to run/repair, comfy for long trips. RWD but it sounds like your jeep could do winter duty. A modern 4 banger would get better mileage, but all highway the 4.6 would still do mid 20s.

This is the only forum where someone is looking to buy A NEW CAR and a fifteen year old dinosaur is recommended. Yep-buy one and equip it with Michelins and your "golden".

Unbelievable.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
What about a low miles crown vic?
reliable, cheap to run/repair, comfy for long trips. RWD but it sounds like your jeep could do winter duty. A modern 4 banger would get better mileage, but all highway the 4.6 would still do mid 20s.

This is the only forum where someone is looking to buy A NEW CAR and a fifteen year old dinosaur is recommended. Yep-buy one and equip it with Michelins and your "golden".

Unbelievable.....

I actually put a little thought into that "dinasour" suggestion. The OP had certain requirments (granted I missed the 5 year old one, my bad). He currently drives an 02 Jeep, So he's familiar with that age of vehicle. Also at the time I said that I didn't know a price range.

Anymore it seems like many modern vehicles have some issue that affects reliability (CVT, DCT, DI, Turbo). So I went for the most reliable, easy to work on thing I could think of.

Now knowing 15k price range... That could almost get you a new Honda Fit or Civic. Of course I think they are CVT now. Maybe a couple year old fit?

But you are kind of right, that does fit into some typical BITOG suggestions
grin.gif

Also OP, I had a Ford Focus with the 2.3 Duratec... It was a terrific motor. I would assume the 2.5 is similar. Its also been in service for awhile now.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
I support the Fusion idea. The 2.5 is a little underpowered, so I would lean towards the V6.

Buddy, I have been driving a 4 speed, 4k lb Jeep with a 4.0 on mud tires for the past 6 years. I'm sure the car will do just fine in the speed category xD

I couldn't find any around here with the V6. Only seen the 1.5/2.0/2.5

Since I drive one and have a similar mile commute... how about a 2013-2015 year model Chevy Volt? These year models have been very reliable. Looks like the 2015's with around 30K miles go for less than $15K. You should be able to make it half way or more to work on electricity and the rest you should get 35+ mpg even in traffic.

You likely DO NOT want a car into which a V6 has been shoehorned.

Also, regarding the CVT. I don't like 'em but I like facts.
1) The real cheap Jetco units are, hopefully, a thing of the past. I think Jetco is the name.
2) My friends are on their 3rd car (Mitsubishi Outlander) with CVT.
They sold the first one to a friend near me and I did a fluid drain & fill at 92K and the unit is operating OK.
3) A kid said to me, "It took 'em 60 years to perfect the geared transmission. Why would anyone want a CVT?" That's a fact. He said that.
4) Nobody knows what beating on a CVT will do. Buying one which someone dumped at the first teeny hiccough could be harrowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back