2016 Nissan Quest rust on rear hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

We've had our 2016 Quest SV since May 2017. We bought it used and it was a rental from Southern California in it's previous life. Technically, this was it's first Buffalo NY rust belt winter. Disturbingly, I have rust stains at both lower corners of the chrome piece on the rear hatch that's above the license plate area? It's been so cold and nasty out this winter, I haven't had the chance to dig into it, nor can I see any easy way to remove this piece to investigate if it's from the body or something behind the chrome piece.

Question is, has anyone heard of this as being an issue with this particular van?

I don't see 2012+ Quests often, but I've never seen one with even a spot of rust on it. Even on the older Quests for that matter. Here's a pic:

rwd3Bh8.jpg

Dale, that's what I'm hoping, but I haven't been able to have the van or the weather long enough to dig into it. I do not see any way to remove this strip. There are push buttons and lighting built into the bottom of it for the lift gate. No exposed fasteners on the underside.

Agree with Nick-dealer time.

Last time I saw rust like that on a Quest like that, it had been in accident. Hoping that is not the case here....

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Do former rental cars come with a factory warranty?

This one was "certified used", with a 7yr/100K mile power train warranty. I also very reluctantly purchased a bumper/bumper contract that covers me until 120K miles. Thing is, none of this is for body rust, which is ALWAYS a pain in the arrrse with dealers. I went through it years ago with our first minivan, a 2001 Ford Windstar.

FWIW, we're at ~51K miles with the Quest. Bought it with 32K miles.

Last edited:
I have a 2004 Quest. It certainly has its quirks, but rust isn't one of them. I agree with others. Time to hit the dealer.

Sadly the manufacture's "rust" warranties usually only apply if there is "rust through perforation" of the sheet metal, not just rust on the surface or rust working through the metal but not yet perforated. I hope Nissan steps up and helps you. It's not right for a less than 2 year old vehicle to begin showing signs of rust, especially coming from California originally.

Whimsey

This is not uncommon for Nissan. The chrome plated plastic trim is rubbing against the painted sheet metal = rust. I have same issue on my 2013 Maxima, I removed the chrome piece, took a Dremel to the plastic and smoothed out the edge. Scraped off the rust, applied rust paint, waited for the stuff to dry, applied top coat. Install the chrome trim again.

The dealer should repair, but if they don't smooth out the edges of the chromed plastic trim piece, you'll have rust again.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Might be a repaint. I would inspect it for body damage and repair.

He'll still have the rust after the inspection. I don't suspect he can get his money back if it did have body damage.

I’m guessing there was an accident in its history that was not disclosed.

The rust can be easily removed from the paint with some Iron-X(Autogeek). Spray, let dwell, rinse. Good thing to do to the lower half of the vehicle in the spring to get rid of rail dust. However, the rust streaks will return. Probably two screws at both ends of the trim piece rusting. Prob a tsb on it to replace the screws.

I have a similar issue with the 05 Matrix rear door handles. A rusty screw inside does the same thing. Owned since new and never been in an accident. Daily driver with no garage. No other rust on the car.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

He'll still have the rust after the inspection. I don't suspect he can get his money back if it did have body damage.

It might get him leverage when dealing with the dealer that sold him this "certified" vehicle.
It will also help with determining the best way to fix it. Otherwise the rust will be coming back every winter, I can almost guarantee it.

That's a bigger job than it looks, the paint is chipped and it rusted right where the trim piece lower corners are. After its repaired something must be done to give the trim a little clearance and possibly use some thick plastic film on that area or it start right back up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back