Engine noise increases with mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think , if the engine starts getting noisier / rougher further into the OCI , I would start thinking of changing the oil / filter sooner .

Oil / filter are cheap insurance , especially if you purchase the consumables on sale / stock up & change the oil / filter your self .

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Never really had that feeling. A oil that ages should thicken and quiet more...

Depends on the oil. Many will shear down a grade by 1,500 miles and then start to oxidize and thicken out around 4,000 miles. In between the motor may be slightly noisier ...

It's very possible that it's just in your head. The placebo affect of brand new oil is something a lot of us feel i would think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JoelB
It's very possible that it's just in your head. The placebo affect of brand new oil is something a lot of us feel i would think.

When all else fails, turn up the radio.
banana2.gif

My engine's no noiser as it appraches the end of the oil-change interval than at the first start with new oil, including -35C starts after eight- to 10 hours with the block heater not plugged in. (Mobil 1 5W30, NAPA Gold/Wix filters.)

No, it isn't because the engine always makes a lot of noise anyway.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Never really had that feeling. A oil that ages should thicken and quiet more...

Depends on the oil. Many will shear down a grade by 1,500 miles and then start to oxidize and thicken out around 4,000 miles. In between the motor may be slightly noisier ...

I think it can make a noticeable difference ~ more so on ~ a car or truck ~ that isn't insulated to the hilt ``` I always thought ~ I could tell the different ~ after changing oil ~ more so on certain engines ```

I don't know about less noise when I do change the oil , but I will say that when I do a change/flush on my transmission fluid the new ATF seems to make a world of difference. So maybe the oil change has similar effects.

I don't know about less noise when I do change the oil , but I will say that when I do a change/flush on my transmission fluid the new ATF seems to make a world of difference. So maybe the oil change has similar effects.

With Royal Purple HPS oils I have always noticed that my car makes less noise with mileage and I strictly run 10,000 mile intervals with RP.

Originally Posted By: deven
With Royal Purple HPS oils I have always noticed that my car makes less noise with mileage and I strictly run 10,000 mile intervals with RP.

10,000 miles or one year; whichever comes first?

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: deven

10,000 miles or one year; whichever comes first?

No. I strictly keep to 10,000 miles. I usually always end up doing 10,000 miles in less than a year so it rarely comes into the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back