M1 0w30 IS DEXOS 1 APPROVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago people were posting about how GM was ripping people off with their Mickey Mouse insignificant spec. Wow how times have changed.

I was just thinking the same thing. I guess people have realized that it's a pretty good spec.

Originally Posted By: Trav
A few years ago people were posting about how GM was ripping people off with their Mickey Mouse insignificant spec. Wow how times have changed.

Green cap is older with date of 11016j14a and DEXOS license #GB1c1008015

Date on silver cap M1 0w30 and its jug on left

Green cap m1

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so they are both first generation dexos1. And the green cap one is older than the silver cap one.
Notably, for Mobil1 specifically, GM says the first generation dexos1 can be used in 2018 and up GM vehicles. Probably due to M1 having low Ca.
Said it right in my 2018 owners manual.

All new stock flavors of Mobil 1 have grey caps with the exception of Mobil 1 AP which now has the gold cap

Now we help GM get royalties.
wink.gif

Regardless they are good caps/seals … just opened box with 2 jugs M1 = came in from Walmart.com and spent two weeks on side (cap down) and not a trace of leakage …

Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

Its not much. GM did put a lot of effort into it. Don't we like tougher specs? The ultimate would be for some oil like Amsoil SS or Mobil1 AP pass all the 229.5 tests in addition to dexos1 Gen2 (except HTHS of course).
Here is the "What-chu-talkin-bout-Willis" video that says it all:

No, it probably isn't much, but people do pay attention to BITOG. Personally, I'd be happy seeing more lubes carry A5/B5 as well.

Sir: I'm surprised AFE 0w30 is A1/B1 but you know way more than I on this stuff
smile.gif

No, it probably isn't much, but people do pay attention to BITOG. Personally, I'd be happy seeing more lubes carry A5/B5 as well.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Sir: I'm surprised AFE 0w30 is A1/B1 but you know way more than I on this stuff
smile.gif

A1/B1 is discontinued, so it will be obsolete for labeling before long. I suspect that M1 5w-30 and 0w-30 would have little problem with A5/B5, either, at least the A5 side of things. I know Castrol was claiming issues with the B5 side of thing, and Valvoline has complaints about it, too. Then again, we don't see a lot of diesel vehicles in North America simply calling for A5/B5, so the B5 part doesn't mean a lot here.

wink.gif

Yep
lol.gif
Even though it took some years and some of us took heat for accepting it as a good thing back then I am glad people have started to realize its a good/valid spec and worth looking for oils that meet it.

wink.gif

Yep
lol.gif
Even though it took some years and some of us took heat for accepting it as a good thing back then I am glad people have started to realize its a good/valid spec and worth looking for oils that meet it.

+1

Straight from the Mobil MSDS page:
"1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED
68037-01-4
10 - < 20%
H304
DISTILLATES, HEAVY, C18-50 - BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR
848301-69-9
20 - < 30%
H304
SEVERELY HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE
64742-54-7